Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HBO: Taylor-Wright Bigger Than Calzaghe-Taylor

According to promoter Lou DiBella, HBO feels that a clash between undefeated middleweight champion Jermain Taylor and undefeated super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe is not as big as last June's clash between Taylor and Ronald "Winky" Wright.

DiBella, currently in talks with Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren for a September clash between their two unbeaten champions, is unable to secure the same license fee from HBO, as he received for Taylor-Wright.

DiBella told the BBC that unless the numbers make sense, as September clash between Taylor and Calzaghe will not happen.

"HBO does not believe that Jermain Taylor and Joe Calzaghe is as big a fight as Jermain Taylor and Winky Wright was, so we're not able to get the same licence fee from HBO," DiBella said. "Based on the numbers we have right now we can't make a fight, we're about $1m apart. Our preference is to fight Calzaghe, we've indicated we're even willing to go to Cardiff or London to make the fight happen, but we're not willing to take on unfair economic terms."

DiBella is more than willing to bring Taylor to Calzaghe's backyard, if his fighter receives the same amount of money he received for fighting Wright - $6 million dollars.

Originally, Warren made an offer of $3 million and upped the offer to $4 million, but Taylor shot back with a $10 million dollar demand. Taylor and his promoter are willing to settle for $6 million.

"A $4m offer was ridiculous and frankly Frank asked for more money guaranteed on Joe's side," DiBella said. "If HBO pays the same money they paid for the Winky Wright fight, I will take US television (revenue) and let Frank keep the gate, the sponsorship, and the British and other international TV. But HBO needs to pay that $6m, that's what we're looking at. Right now Frank says there's no money in the pot from all those other revenue sources and I'm saying that I'm certainly not cutting in on the US revenue if that's the case.

"You're moving a fighter up in weight against the very best man at that weight and you're going into the lion's den to do it. It's difficult but Jermain's beaten Hopkins twice, drew with Winky Wright and defended his title five times, four at middleweight. It would be tough in Joe's backyard but we're not (previous Calzaghe victims) Peter Manfredo Jr or Jeff Lacy. Joe's a great, great fighter, but he's never left his home turf and he's never beaten a great, great fighter."

A sourse close to Frank Warren advised BoxingScene.com that Calzaghe is willing to fight in the United States with DiBella as the promoter, if he receives the same amount of money - $6 million dollars.

Additionally, Team Calzaghe asked Taylor to take a 10% reduction in his purse demand in exchange for 50% of the gate. Warren feels that a Calzaghe-Taylor clash would set attendance records in Europe.

BoxingScene was told.

"If the fight sells 50,000 seats (Calzaghe-Manfredo sold 35,000), the gross would be $7 million, that's $3.5 million to Taylor."

The negotiations will only heat up after Taylor's defense against Cory Spinks on Saturday.

Send News Tips

To be honest, no matter what hbo says, it seems that if taylor wins, he will most likely fight calzaghe in one of his next two fights. Things are looking good and negotiations seem to be being met. I just dont understand why calzaghe said he would come over here and now he wants no part of it.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
di bellas a shark, he's always been a shark and he always will be a shark, he's just trying to make more cash for his guy and himself, JT has said he's happy with the $6m offered and joe is now happy to fight in the u.s so what the hell is di ballbags problem?

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
The problem is Calzaghes team it seems like they never want to get a good deal done.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
prettyboywho said:
The problem is Calzaghes team it seems like they never want to get a good deal done.
I couldn't agree more.

DiBella is a shark because he is supposed to be.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, the deal is right on the table for calzaghe, once again he is getting what he wants, more money, his weight and they are fighting in his home town. What more of advantage could you get. Now lets see if he signs the papers, if he doesnt, then i will lose some respect for zage.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now i know that wasnt a positive thing you just said about taylor, thats some reverse phsycology **** there shane, well no matter where it is , ill bet on taylor, even though i wish they would fight in like canada or something. This home robbery **** is getting out of hand.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Taylor-Calzaghe will happen at some point in the future if all the extras can ever get all their stuff straightened out. I dont foresee it being the next fight in line for JT though. Promoters pull this bs all the time. You cant hold it against the fighters all the time however. I want to see it. But Jermains handlers wont just give in to any of team Calzaghes demands.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Funny, just the other week Taylor said yes to $6million but no to Cardiff. Calzaghe is making all the running to make this fight happen, so stop it with hes ducking again ****.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
tysonjones said:
now i know that wasnt a positive thing you just said about taylor, thats some reverse phsycology **** there shane, well no matter where it is , ill bet on taylor, even though i wish they would fight in like canada or something. This home robbery **** is getting out of hand.
I just saw a video recently of Taylor training and he looks twice as big as he did against Ouma. The guy is jacked and looks like a Calzaghe killer. If the fight is at Calzaghe's house it will be a toss up.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
tysonjones said:
yep, the deal is right on the table for calzaghe, once again he is getting what he wants, more money, his weight and they are fighting in his home town. What more of advantage could you get. Now lets see if he signs the papers, if he doesnt, then i will lose some respect for zage.
Thats not all he wants. They have to spot him 4 rounds too. :laugh:

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is what I’m talking about. Calzaghe is afraid to come to the US, he wants for everyone to come to his little home and in his little back yard and fight. A REAL CHAMPION… ill say it again a “REAL CHAMPION” would probably go anywhere and fight anyone and prove something. HE MY FRIENDS is a laughing stock, a joke. If a perfect deal fighting a perfect opponent was to jump on his desk he would decline no matter what it was. He would counter it with some un-godly like figures. And then say it was the OTHER fighter dodging him.

To ALL you Calzaghe tree huggers… I don’t hate British fighters. I’m all about Ricky Hatton. I just can’t stand Calzaghe, he is fake… allllll fake, A disgrace to boxing. If he ever would step into the RING here in the US and show he had a pair, I might consider him as a contender. BUT NEVER a champion… lol… I say come to AMERICA you scared ass b*tch and fight a REAL CHAMPION for once… I’m tired of hearing about Calzaghe, the man did nothing BUT beat a SLOW Jeff Lacy and a TV Amateur Fighter with potential that LAUGHED IN HIS FACE, I mean how can you call yourself a champion when an amateur is laughing at your punching power. Well I laugh at him because Taylor will MURDER HIM. But I don’t even care to see it. I would much rather see a PBF move up in weight and beat his ass. Or even a old Roy Jones JR. That would really be funny:laugh: . But JT will work. So all you Calzaghe FANS are going see your little champion fall to his knees and cry like the little B*tch that he is… and when I say B*tch, I mean the biggest b*tch in boxing. The man wont fight, he won’t even make a deal with Kessler, and Kessler is in the same weight class, is un-defeated, has 2 belts and was willing to fight in his little back yard. But no Calzaghe is too much of a B*tch and wanted to keep calling names so he could reject any offers from them as well. SO ALL YOU CAL-MAN HUGGERS ;) , STOP SAYING HE CALLS THE LIKES OF B-HOP, JT, WINKY etc.. Because YES he calls them out, but Declines any and EVERY offer. Because yes, I’ve already said it a million times, he’s B*TCH, straight up B*TCH. We need BISHOP DON THE MAGIC JUAN to come and bitch slap his ass for even calling out anyone. Anyway I would love to see Kessler BEAT his ass over there and then LAUGH at him and all his fans, while holding all the belts.

I hope when and if he does come over here to the US, everyone BOOO’s:cheeky4: his ass, or does the point and laugh when he tries to act tough in the ring. Ok I will stop… I’m not hating. I just can’t stand to hear about fake fighters. Especially one that fools people for 10 years and gets paid for it… but that’s ok, his time will come… and the truth will be heard.
:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
WES said:
This is what I’m talking about. Calzaghe is afraid to come to the US, he wants for everyone to come to his little home and in his little back yard and fight. A REAL CHAMPION… ill say it again a “REAL CHAMPION” would probably go anywhere and fight anyone and prove something. HE MY FRIENDS is a laughing stock, a joke. If a perfect deal fighting a perfect opponent was to jump on his desk he would decline no matter what it was. He would counter it with some un-godly like figures. And then say it was the OTHER fighter dodging him.

To ALL you Calzaghe tree huggers… I don’t hate British fighters. I’m all about Ricky Hatton. I just can’t stand Calzaghe, he is fake… allllll fake, A disgrace to boxing. If he ever would step into the RING here in the US and show he had a pair, I might consider him as a contender. BUT NEVER a champion… lol… I say come to AMERICA you scared ass b*tch and fight a REAL CHAMPION for once… I’m tired of hearing about Calzaghe, the man did nothing BUT beat a SLOW Jeff Lacy and a TV Amateur Fighter with potential that LAUGHED IN HIS FACE, I mean how can you call yourself a champion when an amateur is laughing at your punching power. Well I laugh at him because Taylor will MURDER HIM. But I don’t even care to see it. I would much rather see a PBF move up in weight and beat his ass. Or even a old Roy Jones JR. That would really be funny:laugh: . But JT will work. So all you Calzaghe FANS are going see your little champion fall to his knees and cry like the little B*tch that he is… and when I say B*tch, I mean the biggest b*tch in boxing. The man wont fight, he won’t even make a deal with Kessler, and Kessler is in the same weight class, is un-defeated, has 2 belts and was willing to fight in his little back yard. But no Calzaghe is too much of a B*tch and wanted to keep calling names so he could reject any offers from them as well. SO ALL YOU CAL-MAN HUGGERS ;) , STOP SAYING HE CALLS THE LIKES OF B-HOP, JT, WINKY etc.. Because YES he calls them out, but Declines any and EVERY offer. Because yes, I’ve already said it a million times, he’s B*TCH, straight up B*TCH. We need BISHOP DON THE MAGIC JUAN to come and bitch slap his ass for even calling out anyone. Anyway I would love to see Kessler BEAT his ass over there and then LAUGH at him and all his fans, while holding all the belts.

I hope when and if he does come over here to the US, everyone BOOO’s:cheeky4: his ass, or does the point and laugh when he tries to act tough in the ring. Ok I will stop… I’m not hating. I just can’t stand to hear about fake fighters. Especially one that fools people for 10 years and gets paid for it… but that’s ok, his time will come… and the truth will be heard.
:thumbsdown:
Wes, lol dude! That was hating for sure. You really do hate that guy and it cracks me up man. My favorite line was Calzaghe tree huggers. Tree huggers are environmentalists/hippies who want to save trees. I don't think Calzaghe fans care about trees, I agree with a lot of what you are saying, except I think Calzaghe is a little better than you think. You could be right, and he could be an all out bum but I doubt it. Hell, I just want to see him fight ANYONE respectable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
lol ok ok ok, the tree thing was stupid. lol... it just sounded funny for .5 seconds when I typed it. It might have been hating, but I can’t stand the guy and much like you I would like to see him fight a respectable fighter. I think he is VERY over rated and when he gets into the ring with JT people will REALLY see what a joke he has been for 10 years, especially if he comes to the US and fights. I hope people laugh at him and his fans for believing he was great.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Replace "tree" with "nut"

Im losing respect for Calzaghe and his camp rapidly. You go on HBO after the fight with Manfredo jr talking trash about how you beat a good fighter in peter, and the hometown ref stopped it in suspicious fashion. Then you call out Jermaine Taylor, but dont want to leave your backyard to fight him. IF YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED A TRUE CHAMPION, YOU NEED TO SHOW SOME BALLS.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i agre wes partially, i like calzaghe, he is a pretty damn good fighter, but he just doesnt fight anyone, he kiled lacy and he thinks he doesnt have to prove anything, in reality, lacy , although he still had a belt, was still an up and coming prospect with only like 21 fights. He needs to fight kessler, taylor, bhop. All the guys he calls out, he needs to fight. We'll see what he has to say on FNF tonight on espn.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You guys are both right... but anyone can look good fighting a nobody. I mean I used to beat up my little brother and I looked damn good doing it. It doesn’t mean I'm the best in the world. My little brother might have thought so. Well Calzaghe and his fans think he’s great but all he does is pick on nobody’s. And YES YES YES, I know someone’s going to say LACY..... What about LACY? What about LACY? What about Lacy? Over and over and over… because that’s all they got… it’s quit funny and entertaining to hear them say “WHAT ABOUT LACY?”?... I hear it all the time... he was up and coming and still has potential. But, he’s young and VERY SLOW... Calzaghe was smart for picking him to fight, I gave him credit for that... but WHY wont he fight some other TOP fighters that are fast and really good...hmmmmmmmm anyone.... anyone…. Bueller….. Bueller.... lol well all I can say is I smell B*TCH..... a big ol’ scared b*tch who wont come out and play with the big boys….

anyway we will see.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
The unofficial offer right now from Warren is 5.4 mil and then give Taylor 50% of the gate after 5 million is raised from that. Warren says 6 million is an impossible figure and not financially viable. Both parties say London or Cardiff, Wales is where the fight could take place if everyone ever gets on the same page.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Calzaghe is the one CALLING everyone out so to speak. Calzaghe is the one that has something to prove, Calzaghe is the one that wants to get the American publicity, Calzaghe is the one thats straight up b*tch, Calzaghe is the one that should be making it happen and making the fight in the US. But he is B*TCH and will not cross the pond to the big boys side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts