Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been boxing as an amateur for a few years now. I am currently 6'1" and 75KG. Is it possible for me to gain above 85KG doing Heavy resistance training without sacrificing my flexibility and speed as a boxer?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi I have been boxing as an amateur for a few years now. I am currently 6'1" and 75KG. Is it possible for me to gain above 85KG doing Heavy resistance training without sacrificing my flexibility and speed as a boxer?
Resistance training increases flexibility and speed along with power.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Resistance training increases flexibility and speed along with power.
do you mean resistance as in weights? A lot of people say that decreases speed and flexibility. I agree because since i quit lifting weights ive gotten faster.

·
Registered
841 Posts
do you mean resistance as in weights? A lot of people say that decreases speed and flexibility. I agree because since i quit lifting weights ive gotten faster.
No, weight lifting and resistance training are two different things: weight lifting with weights; resistance training with rubber tubing, therabands, and etc. which has been proved to increase muscular flexibility, strength, and speed. I lift with therabands all of the time and I know first hand that it works.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Like NSB said, therabands are good. But stay away from weight lifting. Try doing a lot of push ups and pull ups, they will build up your shoulders and chest naturally. Squats (no weights) will help build up your thighs after enough of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts