3. Liston
4. Foster (Mac)
5. Marciano
6. Louis
7. Cooney (his left hook)
8. Tyson
9. Frazier
10. Baer

Honorable mention: Oscar Bonavena, Buster Mathis (not jr), Jack Dempsey (he would have been 11), Briggs, and Lewis (#12).

Tyson's power is overrated. A lot of guys said he didn't hit as hard as they thought he would, and they've been hit harder. Smith and Holmes both said that they've fought a few guys that hit harder than Mike, and it was mainly Mike's great timing, speed, and accuracy that is what makes him so effective.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Just watched Larry's TV show "What the Heck were they thinking?" (talks about the stupid things people do and are confused why they do it...decent show) anyways, someone sent an e-mail asking Larry who the hardest hitter was, and Larry said in this order, Shavers, Cooney, Weaver, Norton, Tyson. He said Tyson's speed and accuracy was what got him.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Just watched Larry's TV show "What the Heck were they thinking?" (talks about the stupid things people do and are confused why they do it...decent show) anyways, someone sent an e-mail asking Larry who the hardest hitter was, and Larry said in this order, Shavers, Cooney, Weaver, Norton, Tyson. He said Tyson's speed and accuracy was what got him.
And out of all those guys Mike was the only one who destroyed him. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the list of the top KO artists of all time, based on KO percentage (number of KO's divided by number of fights). I'm only calculating these guys' careers up until age 32, when they were in their prime.

George Foreman - 89 % (but he retired at age 28) 

Rocky Marciano - 88 % 

Earnie Shavers - 85 % 

Joe Louis - 85 % 

Mike Tyson - 81 %

I also have to mention the particular case of Jack Dempsey. He had tremendous power, but his career was filled with matches that had a 4 round limit. Many of these ended in a decison or a draw. This of course greatly lowers his overall KO average, so that's why he's not on this list. Lamar Clark and John Mugabi had great KO rates but did not face all the best available fighters of their time, so I omitted them from the list.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup and lets not forget taht Foreman faced tougher opponents than Shavers imo. So Foreman for the 1st place :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup and lets not forget taht Foreman faced tougher opponents than Shavers imo. So Foreman for the 1st place :D:D:D
Yup, Foreman is my number for punching power...
Holyfield said Foreman was the hardest hitter he ever faced, even though he wasnt dropped in that fight..
Mike Tyson's punching power is just overrated, his Ko's highlights are that impressive, but not the bums he knocked out...

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
But cometition quality doesn't mean you hit harder, it means you were a better fighter, and Foreman was a much better fighter than Shavers.

Just for the record, Ali said that Shavers was the hardest hitter he faced.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Mike being hardest hitter. I am only 31 so didn't see watched Forman fight (except some some videos) and I only know about what I have read...but logically it only makes sense to Tyson be a harder hitter than Forman simply becasue of there was a huge improvements in terms of kinesiology and sports training and nutrition in compare to Georege forman era one can come to conclusion that Mike Tyson was a better hitter.

No I am not sure if Rocky Marciano really was harder hitter than Fraiser. For some reason I think he (Rocky) is usually overrated (just a little)

Also don't you think Ali could fit in that list as well?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mike Tyson is NOT remotely close to being the heaviest puncher ever.

Tyson at his peak was all about hitting consecutive concusive punches.

Tyson at his peak was the best finishing combination puncher in heavyweight history for me...but not the most massive individual puncher....

I started a thread a month or so back about concusive punchers and I mentioned Max Baer....not many people agreed. Must say it looks nice to see that he was included and it shows some people have watched the old fighters and considered them :)

The most concusive one punch boxer ever????

p4p that would be some thread, if someone wants to make it...

I pick...Nigel Benn jointly with Gerald Mclellan.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with Mike being hardest hitter. I am only 31 so didn't see watched Forman fight (except some some videos) and I only know about what I have read...but logically it only makes sense to Tyson be a harder hitter than Forman simply becasue of there was a huge improvements in terms of kinesiology and sports training and nutrition in compare to Georege forman era one can come to conclusion that Mike Tyson was a better hitter.

No I am not sure if Rocky Marciano really was harder hitter than Fraiser. For some reason I think he (Rocky) is usually overrated (just a little)

Also don't you think Ali could fit in that list as well?
Thats the first impression on everybody(or almost) to think the current generation is better than the older ones, because they have more technology and information in their hands.. Now, look at Kelly Pavlik, his phisique isnt that impressive is it? if I didnt know who he was I wouldnt mind getting in a brawl with a guy like that...And wow, his record is very impressive 32 win(29 by KO)..Or look at tito in the lower weights, the guys wasnt tick, he was thin and could punch really hard...
You gotta think the same way about the old-timers. Punching power isnt something you get by bulking up and packing muscles everywhere, punching power is something you are born with!! Some guys look like powerhouses and even so, they are not bigpunchers..strenght isnt necessarily punching power..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats the first impression on everybody(or almost) to think the current generation is better than the older ones, because they have more technology and information in their hands.. Now, look at Kelly Pavlik, his phisique isnt that impressive is it? if I didnt know who he was I wouldnt mind getting in a brawl with a guy like that...And wow, his record is very impressive 32 win(29 by KO)..Or look at tito in the lower weights, the guys wasnt tick, he was thin and could punch really hard...
You gotta think the same way about the old-timers. Punching power isnt something you get by bulking up and packing muscles everywhere, punching power is something you are born with!! Some guys look like powerhouses and even so, they are not bigpunchers..strenght isnt necessarily punching power..
you certainly have point there my friend....but Ali in an interview said that he would be afraid of Tyson if he fought him in his prime becasue he hits hard...he certainly didn't say that about Forman.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you certainly have point there my friend....but Ali in an interview said that he would be afraid of Tyson if he fought him in his prime becasue he hits hard...he certainly didn't say that about Forman.
but was Mike Tyson a heavyhitter because of his conditioning and muscles only? or was it because of his speed and natural-born-punching power? Tyson as an amateur wasnt a bulky his punching pwoer was already apparent..
About Ali saying those things, first off: he never fought Tyson, so the old man says he would be scared, but all he did was watching videos or fights just like anyone else here...Second: Evander Holyfield and Larry Holmes, both fought Tyson and both said Tyson wasnt the hardest hitter they had faced...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts