Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having trouble deciding who gets my #20 spot, here's what I have through 19:

Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Lennox Lewis
Jack Johnson
Larry Holmes
George Foreman
Harry Wills
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
Sam Langford
Sonny Liston
Rocky Marciano
Joe Frazier
Riddick Bowe
Jack Dempsey
James J. Jeffries
Sam McVea
Jack Sharkey
Joe Jeanette

I won't add Ezzard Charles, I consider him a Light Heavyweight. Prospects like Ike Ibeabuchi will also not be acceptable. I'm leaning towards either Max Baer, Jimmy Bivins, or Max Schmeling at the moment.

I get the feeling the majority of answers will be Floyd Patterson...

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max Schmeling IMO.

I'd have this list ina different order but the names are basically the same.
I'm thinking Schmeling too.

And dude, I have it in a different order every time I come to post it on these forums.

The more fights I watch the more I change my mind...

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'm thinking Schmeling too.

And dude, I have it in a different order every time I come to post it on these forums.

The more fights I watch the more I change my mind...
Yeah def. Its not only about thir records.

But I'm thinking Schmeling man, even though Baer Ko'd him he has a win over Louis and Sharkey, also much less bums in his record than Baer.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I'm leaning towards Max Schmelling aswell. A case could be made for Floyd Patterson though.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Floyd Patterson
I knew someone had to pick Floyd. :cop:

I gotta say, every time I look at boxrec's page 1 for Heavyweights and see Joe Frazier / Floyd Patterson #5 and #6 it really irritates me. It's almost like people rate them so high simply to justify rating Ali #1 :rolleyes:.

I've actually seen some historians rate Ali / Frazier #1 and #2. Talk about a JADED image of reality.

Frazier gave Ali hell sure, but that's not why he's only lost to 2 people. He's only lost to 2 people because he didn't take on all comers like other great Heavyweights did.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Some of the older fighters

Gene Tunney is still well regarded and i always liked jersey joe.

I would say Norton would of beaten Frazer

Badger in Asia

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I knew someone had to pick Floyd. :cop:

I gotta say, every time I look at boxrec's page 1 for Heavyweights and see Joe Frazier / Floyd Patterson #5 and #6 it really irritates me. It's almost like people rate them so high simply to justify rating Ali #1 :rolleyes:.

I've actually seen some historians rate Ali / Frazier #1 and #2. Talk about a JADED image of reality.

Frazier gave Ali hell sure, but that's not why he's only lost to 2 people. He's only lost to 2 people because he didn't take on all comers like other great Heavyweights did.
Ali doesn't need Patterson to be rated at #1. He still has 5 victories over 3 of your top 13 while in their prime(most others top 10).

2 wins over Bonavena, 1 over Chuvalo, Mathis, 2 over Quarry, 2 more over Ellis, 1 over Bob Foster, everyone except the wins over Bonavena were knockouts. Not mentioning the first man to beat Ali in The Fight of the Century. His rise, title reign, and contender run: all in the golden era of heavyweights. Marciano ahead of Frazier is JADED.

Patterson has a better record than Sharkey so does Schmeling. Schmelling has great wins better than Patterson's, but Patterson has a title run, a good one, Schmelling doesn't. One of the Klitschko's are prime for that spot too.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ali doesn't need Patterson to be rated at #1. He still has 5 victories over 3 of your top 13 while in their prime(most others top 10).

2 wins over Bonavena, 1 over Chuvalo, Mathis, 2 over Quarry, 2 more over Ellis, 1 over Bob Foster, everyone except the wins over Bonavena were knockouts. Not mentioning the first man to beat Ali in The Fight of the Century. His rise, title reign, and contender run: all in the golden era of heavyweights. Marciano ahead of Frazier is JADED.

Patterson has a better record than Sharkey so does Schmeling. Schmelling has great wins better than Patterson's, but Patterson has a title run, a good one, Schmelling doesn't. One of the Klitschko's are prime for that spot too.
:facepalm: I'm just going to ignore the last comment.

Back to Frazier, that resume isn't impressive, and he didn't really beat Bonavena in the first fight. In fact with the modern judging system he loses that fight. As for Foster, please. The man never even beat a B level Heavyweight, and that's most of what Frazier's resume is. Without Ali on his resume Frazier is just another Undisputed Heavyweight Champion. And Marciano murders Frazier...god :facepalm:. You got a Black guy from Philadelphia telling you Frazier can't handle Marciano, what more proof do you need?

As for Sharkey the record isn't all important. He simply beat more better fighters while Schmeling beat more bums, and Sharkey was beating Dempsey handedly before he got cheated. When he went head to head with Schmeling they were pretty much even. If Schmeling wasn't KOed by Louis in 1 round in the rematch I prolly would of had him ahead of Sharkey.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of the older fighters

Gene Tunney is still well regarded and i always liked jersey joe.

I would say Norton would of beaten Frazer

Badger in Asia
Gene Tunney I refuse to rate as a Heavyweight. He would have prolly been a good one but cherry picking a past his prime Dempsey isn't enough to cut it.

Ezzard Charles on the other hand DID have enough fights to rate him as a Heavyweight, he just doesn't make the top 20. Top 30 maybe. Haven't done that list yet, so I'm not sure.

As for Jersey Joe...he's somewhere in the second half of the top 100. He's on the level of the some of the guys Tyson beat in his prime if you ask me, and not the best guys Tyson beat either.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O and Ali didn't beat Liston in his prime. Liston stopped properly training after the Patterson fight. Between booze and his underground life that lead to his death, his prime days were over. Hence, after losing to Ali he never went on to beat another single noteworthy fighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts