Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'4" , 285lbs and very powerful and athletic from san diego by way of texas. I am really thinking about getting into boxing. My problem isnt ability or attitude, its the fact that I have a family to take of and unemployed and we are struggling to eat and have to rely on my family for help. So I want to get a job, but get this I have been accepted to go to a boxing try-out in LA that is being put together by Michael King and one of the trainers is Pepe Correa, im pretty you know who they are, and they will be paying for everything. Im just having a hard time making this big decision and its coming up on Sept. 16 and feel like I can't wait on something that isnt guaranteed.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I am 6'4" , 285lbs and very powerful and athletic from san diego by way of texas. I am really thinking about getting into boxing. My problem isnt ability or attitude, its the fact that I have a family to take of and unemployed and we are struggling to eat and have to rely on my family for help. So I want to get a job, but get this I have been accepted to go to a boxing try-out in LA that is being put together by Michael King and one of the trainers is Pepe Correa, im pretty you know who they are, and they will be paying for everything. Im just having a hard time making this big decision and its coming up on Sept. 16 and feel like I can't wait on something that isnt guaranteed.
Size don't mean shiit if you can't fight. Can you fight?

·
Registered
841 Posts
You saying your thinking about getting into boxing tells me you don't have any experience, yeah maybe you know how to fight but you don't know how to box and you've never trained before. Those dudes at the try-out are gonna know what their doing and would prob f you up, especially since you'd be fighting heavyweight. But hey it's not my place to tell you not to go so try it and see how it goes, but I'll garantee you won't make any money out of it lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I dont have any experience, but it just a try-out to get in their training academy so they will be teaching me everything I need to know and they will be paying for housing, food, and transportation. Also a little money to put in my pocket

·
Registered
841 Posts
Then by all means try it, just know there will be lots of talented fighters there trying to get into their program. Just because its a try-out to get into the training acadamy doesn't mean that the guys trying out haven't been trained already and are just looking to get better training in a more prestigious program. You better start running your ass off and get some of the basics down bfore you show up there not knowing anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have any training tips , Im trying to lose at least 10-20 lbs in the next 2 weeks if thats possible and healthy. Im really just tryin to get into the best possible shape before the 16th of this month.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
A guy with your size and strength is always a project for trainers, they would probably love to try and mold you. You're unemployed so it's a no brainer to go, question should be should you stay. Unless they'll be giving you enough money to take care of business at home, And the answer to that is no.

Truth is, it would take you at least 2 years to develop good/great skills (depending how good you are naturally) and pro fight ready shape. You should go see what the trainers tell you what you lack and what you can do to fix it, tell them your situation and leave. Go back home look for a job and if the trainers said you had potential and you liked training, start training on a 2-3 hour basis even when you do get a job.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
How old are you any ways, never mind listen you better go other wise you'll be asking youself and wondering for the rest of your life, what might've happened, life too short to waste on indeceition, so go for it, and give it all you got, work out twice a day and eat only fruits and salads in two weeks is more than enough time to loose 20 pounds JUST DO IT....:thumbsup:

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
How old are you any ways, never mind listen you better go other wise you'll be asking youself and wondering for the rest of your life, what might've happened, life too short to waste on indeceition, so go for it, and give it all you got, work out twice a day and eat only fruits and salads in two weeks is more than enough time to loose 20 pounds JUST DO IT....:thumbsup:
I agree with you. But remember he got a family. He got no money coming in. That needs to be addressed. They can't eat off training.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I agree with you. But remember he got a family. He got no money coming in. That needs to be addressed. They can't eat off training.
Agreed, age would be something nice to know. Are you married, is any money coming in at all right now?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
All I will say is this. If you don't do this you will most likely think back in a few years and wonder what if. If you at least try it you will gain a life experience even if you're unsuccessful. I suggest that you try it, but if you're going to try to learn to box you have to give it everything you have at all times or you're wasting the time you have as well as the time of your trainer.

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
All I will say is this. If you don't do this you will most likely think back in a few years and wonder what if. If you at least try it you will gain a life experience even if you're unsuccessful. I suggest that you try it, but if you're going to try to learn to box you have to give it everything you have at all times or you're wasting the time you have as well as the time of your trainer.
:thumbsup:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Well he said it's all paid for , plus a little extra to send home, but that sounds a little fishy I never heard of anything like the thing he's describing, specially in boxing, if you don't come out of the olimpics they're not gonna invest a dime on you, plus how many imigrants do the same thing ,leave the family behind to go off to try to make a living ,life is full of scrifice,I kind of think he's full of it , plus he's indisicive that shows lack of comfidence,plus the fact that he's probably overweight does not indicate dicipline, he can say he's muscular all he wants, but who really knows...Katsidis was all muscle last night and look what happened....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I am 23 and I am indecisive because this is something totally new for me. U guys r right I think I need to go ahead and do it or I will be wondering what if. I'm relying on my momma to feed me and my family, do u know what that does to a man who is used to being a provider? Its tearing me up, but its humbling at the same time. I guess I just need to use all this bullshit for motivation a start whoop peoples asses in the ring of course, they cant run then. OH yea it does sound a little fishy to me too, cause it hasnt been done in boxing before, I ve been talking to them and it sounds legit. I've heard of Michael King and Pepe Correa before but I haven't talked to them personally, I wouldn't expect to until I get there.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I am 23 and I am indecisive because this is something totally new for me. U guys r right I think I need to go ahead and do it or I will be wondering what if. I'm relying on my momma to feed me and my family, do u know what that does to a man who is used to being a provider? Its tearing me up, but its humbling at the same time. I guess I just need to use all this bullshit for motivation a start whoop peoples asses in the ring of course, they cant run then.
Good luck brother.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts