Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really interested in boxing but i dont know where to start, im about 6'0 180, id like to get into a light weighted class if i can, i know i need to diet and exercise, should i go join a boxing gym and tell them what i want and let them figure out how to get me light enough. How much do boxing gyms usually cost. Also to box professionally you have to pass the boxing liscense test right? How long does a person usually have to train before they are ready. Im a complete newbie, so i dont really know anything, please just tell me what i need to do to be able to box one day, anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:

Join a boxing gym! Get in there, get dirty, everything is all in your head until you actually start doing it. All of these questions can be answered by your coach. You should do things his way from the start. Check online for boxing gyms in your area and visit them, see which ones you like. The one I go to is $80 a month but discounted if you pay for 3 or 6 months at a time. Don't be intimidated...just walk in there and say "I want to box." This is my opinion, this is exactly what I did. Have fun!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Join a boxing gym! Get in there, get dirty, everything is all in your head until you actually start doing it. All of these questions can be answered by your coach. You should do things his way from the start. Check online for boxing gyms in your area and visit them, see which ones you like. The one I go to is $80 a month but discounted if you pay for 3 or 6 months at a time. Don't be intimidated...just walk in there and say "I want to box." This is my opinion, this is exactly what I did. Have fun!!
Good post, welcome to boxingforum:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Well, I advise tht you satay away from lifting weights so that you don't bulk up in weight and so that you do not slow down from having too much muscle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is your age? what state do live in? 6'0 at 165 is a good weight. if there is no gym near you I would start by running about two miles, jump rope for about 10-15 min at least 3 to 4 times a week.You need to build your stamina first and foremost. Go to an amateur boxing "smoker" and ask some of the boxers and coaches where they train at let them know you are interested in boxing. The average time to get used to the training routine and knowing the combos before sparring is around 2-3mnths. After 2-3 days a week of decent sparring it will be 2-3mnths before your first match. It really depends on how quickly you catch on. Wish you best and keep your hands up and your chin down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im 20 6'1 about 185. I stay in orlando florida, i drove to two of the boxing gym locations so far that ive looked up, only peoples homes were there, one of the places was right here in my apartment complex, and i know for a fact that there is no boxing gym there

·
Registered
35 Posts
I googled and found 10 gyms in Orlando. hope you find one. The most were LA Boxing which is not really cheap but they have nice gyms

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx, im actually going to check the LA boxing gym today, its about 7-10 miles from me, glad gas has went down, do you supposed to go to the gym everyday or what.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts