Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to purchase the Grant Campeon Super Bag gloves, but they're backordered until October so I'm looking for alternatives. I specifically wanted a bag glove, but am under the impression that Mexican-style training gloves are similar in style/padding to their corresponding bag gloves (am I correct?).

So...I'm considering Pro Mex Professional Training Gloves: Pro Mex Professional Hook-and-Loop Training Gloves from Title Boxing

Also, Title Campeon Training Gloves: TITLE Campeon Hook-And-Loop Training Gloves from Title Boxing

Has anyone used either of these? I haven't heard of Pro Mex anywhere else, but according to Title customer service, they're made by a "Mexican company". Thanks in advance.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Pro mex are a good name. I'd also suggest you try these:
And contact ringside to see if they are also out of the Grants, they may have them in stock.

IMF Tech™ Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

Ringside's Grant Campeon link: Grant Campeón Super Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

Are you dead set on getting a set of "mexican-style" ? Because Title does have an awesome new set of GEL gloves out now. I just did a review on them. Review is here:
http://www.boxingforum.com/boxing-equipment-reviews/2793-review-title-gel-training-gloves.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I gave ringside a try also, but also backordered. (Actually, ringside must be Grant's primary distributor in the US or something. I ordered through grantboxing.com, but received emails from ringside when I contacted customer service...)

I'm set on "mexican-style" gloves partially because I've read that the shape in the striking area has more of a curvature. I'm using everlast pro training gloves right now and my hands get sore around the finger / knuckle joint area (not the knuckles themselves). I think that due to my hand size + shape of the glove I have difficulty maintaining a "fully closed" fist.

Also read they are more compact and padding is more evenly distributed throughout. I think my knuckles are ok w/less padding and maintaining proper hand form is more important, and I would like a more streamlined glove.

Am I totally off mark here? Unfortunately, there's nowhere to try on different gloves to actually see and feel.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Good update on the Ringside/Grant distribution. I also had no idea that they were their primary distributor.

Well you are correct that the padding will be more evenly distributed throughout, leaving less for the knuckle area.
Do you use handwraps under your gloves, or any other form of knuckle protection under your gloves? If you do use handwraps, do you wrap between each knuckle?

FYI, I was going to get a set of those Promex gloves at one point as well. I ended up buying a set of the Ringside IMF Tech gloves instead and never regeretted it. They are a great set of gloves. If you do decide to get them or hold out for the grants, let me know your opinion, or post up a review on them in the new gear review section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do use handwraps under my gloves and wrap between each knuckle, but I should probably play around w/different wrapping styles.

Thanks for the help. I can't hold out for the Grants so I think I'm going ahead w/the Promex. I'll post an update once I get a chance to break them in a bit.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I used to get the same thing you're talking about so I switched up the way I wrap as well. I no longer wrap between the knuckles, just over the top of them. Wrapping between for some people causes alot of stress on the small bones in the hand and that was the case for me. Sounds like a similar situation for you. Try wrapping over the knuckles, not inbetween and if your worried about the wrap slipping over the knuckles, cut a few thin pieces of tape to put inbetween the top and bottom of the wrap in between the knuckles. Works wonders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts