Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a postgraduate student whose major is applied psychological research. Now I am researching my final thesis project that the marriage influence in boxers' competitive performance but I have a big challenge. I don't know where or which website I can find the information of the boxers' marriage date. I have to compare their performance before and after their marriage. So if someone know that, please let me know or email me. That is so important for me. Thanks!!! My email is [email protected].:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
have you checked wikipedia?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
A lot of times it depends on who your wife is. If she is the type that Rocky was married too, chances are she is ruining her husband as a fighter because he loses confidence in him self. But if their wife is like Holmes's was, and was always rooting for you and never complained once and was by their side, then chances are the fighter will have a lot of confidence and do better. But training has a lot to do with it. If the wife is holding up training with her antics, then the fighter won't do good. But if she leaves her husband alone and doesn't bother him then he will do fine.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
do you have a list of fighters or is it just fighters in general?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
do you have a list of fighters or is it just fighters in general?

Mine was in general. It determines on the fighter IMO. Like if it were Tyson, he could care less. Givens ruined him finacially, but not as a fighter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have checked many encyclopediea website like answer.com and so on but there are many information about their professional career.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tinababy said:
Yes, I have checked many encyclopediea website like answer.com and so on but there are many information about their professional career.

You have a tough one. Who are the fighters?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
you can find alot on marriage before and after, on the career of mike tyson, his wife robin givens really affected his performance.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
It could be very misleading this stat lol the likelihood is when your younger, you wont be married and you wont be fighting good opponents so your record will be great. Then by the time your married your probably old enough and experienced to be fighting tougher guys hence you have more chance of losing.

Id think about making some statement saying that the record doesnt exactly represent the performance of a boxer.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Holmes wife was always with him 100% and let him fight when he wanted too. Marciano's wife didn't like him fighting. Made him retire before May of 1956. James J. Braddock's wife was the same as Rocky's wife in the Rocky movies, and was a complete baby about it. She said that she ran out of the stadium before the first round ended, that was the only fight she went to, or even attempted to watch. Braddock didn't like that. I don't know how it affected them as a fighter, but I know how it did as a person.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TysonJones said:
you can find alot on marriage before and after, on the career of mike tyson, his wife robin givens really affected his performance.

Not really. She affected him finacially, but some of his best performances were when he was married to her.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
sugar shane mosley is another fighter who's wife has been great for his career, jin actualy manages him.

wayne mcullochs wife is also waynes sport psycologist.

if i was you id do pieces on.

mike tyson.
shane mosley.
wayne mculloch.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
sugar shane mosley is another fighter who's wife has been great for his career, jin actualy manages him.

wayne mcullochs wife is also waynes sport psycologist.

if i was you id do pieces on.

mike tyson.
shane mosley.
wayne mculloch.
Don't forget Holmes and Braddock. Larry's wife used to support Larry in training. She used to sit in a chair by one of the corner posts, and Larry would stand in the corner, and just practice defence, and he would call out "Should I hit him yet Diane?" and she would go "Not yet" then after another minute he would go "Should I hit him yet?" and she would go "Not yet" then 30 seconds later he would go "Now should I hit him?" and Diane would go "Go ahead, hit him" and Larry would say to the guy he was sparring "I hope you didn't eat before you came here" and would nail him in the gut. Stuff like that, of course, that was just when he was getting warmed up and helping the other pro's in the gym, come real sparring time he wasn't as playful, but he would still have a little bit of fun. Diane was always at his fights. But with Braddock, poor poor Bradock. His wife ran out of the stadium as soon as he got hit once. She hated him fighting. She never understood it. She didn't care that he was making money and that he was a good fighter, she prefered him at the docks.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Don't forget Holmes and Braddock. Larry's wife used to support Larry in training. She used to sit in a chair by one of the corner posts, and Larry would stand in the corner, and just practice defence, and he would call out "Should I hit him yet Diane?" and she would go "Not yet" then after another minute he would go "Should I hit him yet?" and she would go "Not yet" then 30 seconds later he would go "Now should I hit him?" and Diane would go "Go ahead, hit him" and Larry would say to the guy he was sparring "I hope you didn't eat before you came here" and would nail him in the gut. Stuff like that, of course, that was just when he was getting warmed up and helping the other pro's in the gym, come real sparring time he wasn't as playful, but he would still have a little bit of fun. Diane was always at his fights. But with Braddock, poor poor Bradock. His wife ran out of the stadium as soon as he got hit once. She hated him fighting. She never understood it. She didn't care that he was making money and that he was a good fighter, she prefered him at the docks.
exactly, how could i forget about bradocks wife. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
I would have divorced her...
not if she looked like rene zellweger in the movie i wouldn't. LOL!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.