Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Youre probably sick of these im new but here goes. Hi im new lol. Id like to get into boxing iv found a good club in england near my home town. Iv not got alot of money yet but in the mean time my training looks like this. 4 days a week im running, skipping doing bicep curls push ups sit ups and more skipping. I plan on getting a heavy bag asap but just wondering if you have any advice of anything else i could be doing. IM 19 btw and have no boxing experience, im 12 stone 4 ounces and just over 6 ft. Iv been trying to keep at this weight i dont know if this is good or bad. Eating wise i just try and be generally healthy i try and keep to carbs before exercise and protein after but im not going as far as measuring grams out. Anyways any advice / changes that you could suggest would be fantastic!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Stop doing the bicep curls. Get a "how to" book on boxing, like Frazier's or something like that. Try joining a gym, they should teach you the basics and all.

PS Welcome to the site!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Orite thats interesting i dont do alot but i have read differening views on using weights when aiming for or doing boxing seems like its frowned upon a bit there only 10kg barbells. Thnx for the advice i dont know wen ill be able to join a club cos of money at the moment but it shouldnt be long. Cheers any other advice i forgot to say before im playing football (soccer) 2-3 times a week too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Johnboy2007 said:
Orite thats interesting i dont do alot but i have read differening views on using weights when aiming for or doing boxing seems like its frowned upon a bit there only 10kg barbells. Thnx for the advice i dont know wen ill be able to join a club cos of money at the moment but it shouldnt be long. Cheers any other advice i forgot to say before im playing football (soccer) 2-3 times a week too.
Soccer should give you good endurance and movement, so if you like it, keep doing that. Although don't really on your leg strength too much, because then you will get killed (not to scare you). If you can't afford to go to a gym at the moment, then buy some how to books and such.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
soccer is a big no if you want to be a fighter, its bad for your knees and ankles. im from the uk and soccer is massive over here and i was pretty good at both at a very young age. my 2 coaches told me very quick to make a choice though and boxing it was.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
But wouldn't it give you better endurance?
yes but theres to much that can go wrong and when you see a lot of old pro's they cant hardly walk because there knees and ankles have taken to much and they always need hip replacments.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
yes but theres to much that can go wrong and when you see a lot of old pro's they cant hardly walk because there knees and ankles have taken to much and they always need hip replacments.
Good point, never thought of that.........I should have though, it is kind of obvious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh im from the uk too , i shouldav explained better im not playing at a level or anything its 5 aside which is sort of semi competitive but everyone knows each other. I get really bad shin splints but i try and push through it. Touch wood none of us have had injuries yet but i did see another lad on another pitch get his leg turned round back to front looked rather painful. But i dont know if i could give it up because i love it so much.Probably would if i had to if a trainer from a gym told me to.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
Johnboy2007 said:
Yeh im from the uk too , i shouldav explained better im not playing at a level or anything its 5 aside which is sort of semi competitive but everyone knows each other. I get really bad shin splints but i try and push through it. Touch wood none of us have had injuries yet but i did see another lad on another pitch get his leg turned round back to front looked rather painful. But i dont know if i could give it up because i love it so much.Probably would if i had to if a trainer from a gym told me to.
although 5 and 7 aside is still risky because of injury i still played around once or twice a week and still do. i just never played competitive when i was boxing. a game with your mates shouldn't do you any harm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good cos i dont think i could give it up lol. Iv got the bracket for my heavy bag now and im going to put it on the outside of the house.Any suggestions on what weight bag to get? IM 12 stone 4 dont know if ur weight has anything to do with it. Iv seen quite a good 5 ft 45 kg bag on ebay which is waterproof so i wouldnt have to keep taking it up and down
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top