Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just joined. Great forum!

A little background. I had started to box about 7 years ago. I was introduced by my boyfreind (at that time) and when we split, I stopped boxing. (I had no gear! lol)

I have aquired my boxing stuff now (minus a speed bag.. it's on the get it list) and started up again just this past Sunday.

I am woefully out of shape. I am currently recovering from an illness. I have a long ways to go to remotely consider myself fit. I'm not overweight (rather underweight actually.)

My question is concerning my lower back. I can not weight lift (doc's orders.) I have to strengthen naturally. However, trying to do simple push ups (normal ones.. not that silly half version for women).. my back gave out on the third one. (I did say I have a long ways to go.. I am very very weak.)

Does anyone know a simple "natural" exercise I can use to help slowly strengthen my lower back? It was very disheartening to have to stop doing push ups on the third one. That is just sad really.

BB

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Since you cant lift weights and your back is weak, why not try some of the better back exercises without weights for a while and see where that gets you. In particular, you can do deadlift movements without the weight, Squat movements without weight, crunches/situps, jumping jacks.
Strengthening your core(including your back) will help to take some of the stress off of your back.
Also, try to stretch daily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Grace and Captain.

I do, do squats with no weights and jumping jacks (never dawned on me this would help with my back! lol). I will try the dead lift movements. The stretches are also great. I will be revamping my routine a bit! :)

Greatly appreciated.

BB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I incorporated all the above said exercises yesterday. Although very sore and stiff today, I think it worked wonders. I added more time to my routine, concentrated on basics with punches and footwork, and had massive stretching and exercises to the beginning and end. I had a great workout and think that given a month or so, it will do wonders for my back! :)

BB

·
Registered
80 Posts
Captain - that was great advice about strengthening the core back muscles. I did back exercises when I was young. It's because of a back brace I had. I always did back exercises. But now I am completely fine. I work out with the elliptical machine for about 30 minutes. It has no knee strain on this. Now though, my Mom was having some back pain lately. I'll tell her what you said, thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Grab a weighted plate like 25 or 35 pounds and just bend down while holding the plate and come up slowly.

Try that if you can get through it with no pain.

Deadlifts and Good Mornings are Great

Ab Wheels are great for strengthening both abdominals and lower back

Also very important to stretch. If you don't do it or don't do it enough, you'll regret it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I am going to try the good mornings (had to look it up lol.) Right now I can only use one pound weights! I am working my way up to three, then five etc. I have to build ab wheels, but once I do I plan on start with the knee ones, as it looks rather difficult.

A few weeks ago, I could only do one set of ten of anything. I'm up to two sets on crunches, squats and whatnot and three sets on deadlifts and standing calf raises! Push ups I'm still stuck doing the knee women ones, but I am up to two sets now! So I'm getting there! :)

BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts