1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45-year-old Holyfield, Valuev close in on agreement on world title match

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Evander Holyfield has accepted an offer to challenge Nikolai Valuev for his heavyweight world title, the former four-time champion told ESPN.com Wednesday night.

Holyfield (42-9-2, 27 KOs) said his attorney is reviewing a contract from Valuev promoter Sauerland Event for a fight that would take place Dec. 20 in either Germany or Switzerland.

"It's solid. They asked if I will take the fight for the offer they made and if everything is straight up, I will take that fight," Holyfield said. "My lawyer is looking at it."

If Evander Holyfield does fight Nikolai Valuev and win the world heavyweight title, he would be the oldest champion since George Foreman.

Although Holyfield will turn 46 on Oct. 19, he said other people make more of a big deal about his age than he does. If he wins the fight, Holyfield would become the oldest heavyweight champion in history, even older than George Foreman, who was 45 when he knocked out Michael Moorer in 1994 in one of boxing's greatest upsets.

"They said I was too old when I was 34 and was getting ready to fight Mike Tyson for the first time," said Holyfield, who knocked out Tyson in a huge upset to win a title. "There's nothing new with what people say. I have a desire and I am the one who got to train and I am willing to make the sacrifices necessary to be the best. Just imagine a 46-year-old guy being heavyweight champ of the world?"

It would be Holyfield's first fight in 14 months. In his last bout, he lost a unanimous decision in Moscow to Sultan Ibragimov for a version of the title in October 2007.

Many figured that would be Holyfield's last shot at a championship, but he said he never lost faith.

"I felt that I would get another opportunity," Holyfield said. "I don't believe in that fight with Ibragimov that I did enough to take the fight. He moved a lot and I didn't take the title from him. It was what it was. I was hoping I would get another opportunity and here it is. I'm thankful to God. Nobody mentioned my name about nothing, but this opportunity is here now."

Holyfield, who is 6-foot-2 and about 215 pounds, will be at a massive size disadvantage in the fight, like most of Valuev's opponents.

Russia's Valuev (49-1, 34 KOs), who regained a vacant belt by outpointing John Ruiz in a rematch on Aug. 30, is the biggest titleholder in history. He is 7-feet and weighs about 320 pounds. Holyfield, a light heavyweight in the 1984 Olympics and former cruiserweight world champion, said the size difference doesn't bother him.

"Of course, he will be the biggest guy I have fought but it's something that could be very interesting," Holyfield said. "I will have a big target. I have to do the things I believe he can't do. He can't move laterally. I got to get in quick, fight and don't stand still too long. I just have to be in tremendous shape to outmaneuver him."

Holyfield said he was looking for a new trainer to prepare him for the fight after working most recently with Ronnie Shields.

"I always keep myself in shape," he said. "I'm probably looking for another trainer. Ronnie left after Ibragimov. I haven't made arrangements yet on a trainer. I hadn't really thought of who would be the right person."

Holyfield made news in July when his financial problems were made public after the mother of one of his children took him to court over missing child support payments. There were also threats of foreclosure on his sprawling, 54,000-square-foot suburban Atlanta estate.

Holyfield would not disclose his purse for the bout, although it is less than $750,000.

"Whatever it is, I'm honored to get the opportunity," he said. "It is the lowest amount I ever made for a championship fight, but I am just appreciative I got the opportunity."

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
LOL I was just asking about this fight in the other Thread.What can I say, Holyfield just keeps trying, I honestly feel bad for the man with his financial struggles and still fighting after soo long.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yea I feel bad for him but at the same time he's still got it. Maybe not world title it but hes still got a good fighter in him. Unlike many others, I will never get tired of watching him fight.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I feel bad for him but at the same time he's still got it. Maybe not world title it but hes still got a good fighter in him. Unlike many others, I will never get tired of watching him fight.
Yeah, as much of a joke as it's become with him, if he were to beat Valuev, he'd become only the second man to do it when 49 times guys have tried and failed. That, and he'd become the oldest heavyweight titlist, which, even in a lacking division, would be a huge accomplishment. If he's simply fighting for the money, it's a real shame. If that fire still burns, which I can imagine it still does since he's always been such a warrior, then I can't fault him. I just don't want to see him get seriously hurt or damage his legacy. Valuev, even though he appears to be a circus act is still a tough fight with a damaging jab and some skill, even if he is slow, awkward, and grotesquely hairy.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Yeah, as much of a joke as it's become with him, if he were to beat Valuev, he'd become only the second man to do it when 49 times guys have tried and failed. That, and he'd become the oldest heavyweight titlist, which, even in a lacking division, would be a huge accomplishment. If he's simply fighting for the money, it's a real shame. If that fire still burns, which I can imagine it still does since he's always been such a warrior, then I can't fault him. I just don't want to see him get seriously hurt or damage his legacy. Valuev, even though he appears to be a circus act is still a tough fight with a damaging jab and some skill, even if he is slow, awkward, and grotesquely hairy.

With all the fiancial issues he's been having I honetly believe that is the only reason he's fighting, well maybe not the only reason but a huge part, I wouldn't want to see Holyfield hurt either.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
With all the fiancial issues he's been having I honetly believe that is the only reason he's fighting, well maybe not the only reason but a huge part, I wouldn't want to see Holyfield hurt either.
Your probably right but I think he knows if he can pull it off, much more money to come.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
HMMM.......

Team Valuev denies Holyfield fight!

Thursday, October 9 2008

By Alexey Potapov

WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev (49-1, 34 KOs) has commented to Fightnews.com on a possible fight against faded former four-time heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield (42-9-2, 27 KOs). "I know nothing and this is the first I've heard about it," said the seven-foot two-time WBA champion. "In general there is an arrangement to fight against Kali Meehan and this fight will take place on December 6th. I'm preparing for this fight. Today I learn that a fight against Holyfield is planned for December 20th. You want me to fight again in two weeks? It's totally ludicrous." Fightnews.com also asked the manager of the Russian Giant Boris Demitrov. "I know nothing about a fight between Nikolai and Holyfield. I talked today with Don King, even he knows nothing about it. Most likely it's an invention," commented Dimitrov.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
LOL I was just asking about this fight in the other Thread.What can I say, Holyfield just keeps trying, I honestly feel bad for the man with his financial struggles and still fighting after soo long.
That's what happens when you don't invest your money correctly , I mean the man went out and bought the biggest house he could find, I mean who the hell needs more than 4 bedrooms his place has over 20, the grounds maintanance $$$ alone has to enough to paid the morgage on a 4 bedroom place, worst of all he's stuck with the place, he could'nt give it away if he wanted to, but who knows maybe he meant to house all his children in there he has about 20 kids no? :laugh: Tyson made a similar mistake, but he corrected it and sold the big ass mansion to another fool, 50cent:laugh:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Holyfield needs to retire. Nothing he does now will affect his legacy, but his health could be in danger if he keeps on fighting.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Holyfield becomng a HW champ will be big for the HW division, since there's nothing else going on but young prospects and B class fighters fighting for world titles. I would love to see Holyfield fight Peter or Toney for a world title.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Evander always has a hard time with tall guys , and he had a hard time the last time with a mobile short guy, at this point in his career I see Valued toying with him, at this point Evander is just too slow the big russian will beat with with one arm tie behind his back....:laugh:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holyfield becomng a HW champ will be big for the HW division, since there's nothing else going on but young prospects and B class fighters fighting for world titles. I would love to see Holyfield fight Peter or Toney for a world title.
I'd worry a great deal about Evander going against Peter and ending up like Jeremy Williams. We've already seen Toney/Holyfield and that wasn't pretty. The last five years haven't been kind to either, but I still think Toney would handle it with relative ease.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I saw this today on ESPN. I hope this fight happens. I'd love to see Holyfield clown Valuev, and I'd favor him to be honest. To me Valuev sucks, but he's big. That's all.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
i really hope that Valuev will replace whoever it is that he is fighting for a fight with Holyfeild. I am rooting for Holyfeild in this one, but I cannot make a prediction for this fight.

P.S. James Toney now, I think, would get owned by Holyfeild. When he fought Holyfeild, he was not surrounded by fat :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
For a giant Valuev hits like a 4 year old girl, but he does have modest boxing skills, and I think that, is going to be enough, to handle and old and slowww used to be real deal :laugh:

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
Ridicolous fight.Sauerland Promotions never would allow his fighters to fight the best.Besides they have to fight the No.1 challenger( if ranking tells the truth is another story ;)

Just look at Sven Ottke the Pseudo Champion

It is just ridicolous

1 - 20 of 48 Posts