Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a decade after their two meetings, what are your thoughts on what took place in both, the first being 1996 Fight of the Year and the second, of course, being the ear biting incident? What did you expect would happen at the time? Who were you pulling for? Did you back Holyfield and join the press and pretty much everyone else in lambasting Tyson or we you a Tyson sympathizer who appreciated the supposedly "washed up" Holyfield's accomplishments? How do you think referees Mitch Halpern and Mills Lane did? The build up to these two fights were the greatest of any in my lifetime and having watched both of them today, I felt like opening up for discussion for the umpteenth time.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Both are good fights, Sadly I have mixed feelings about it even happening because tyson wasn't at his best. I feel tyson lost alot of fans because of this and I feel he was treated somewhat unfairly in the second fight ( before the biting ).

Holyfield vs Tyson one is still a great fight, I'll never forget tyson coming out in round 1 and briefly rocking evander with the first punch he landed.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are good fights, Sadly I have mixed feelings about it even happening because tyson wasn't at his best. I feel tyson lost alot of fans because of this and I feel he was treated somewhat unfairly in the second fight ( before the biting ).

Holyfield vs Tyson one is still a great fight, I'll never forget tyson coming out in round 1 and briefly rocking evander with the first punch he landed.
How do you feel about how the fights were officiated, the alleged headbutts, and other tactics of Holyfield?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
The first fight was fantastic. Holyfield was past his best but he had the perfect tactics to fight Tyson, keep him at range and then tie him up when he got too close. Holyfield was fearless and showed his usually iron chin. I actually think it was a pretty good version of Tyson in the first fight, but Holyfield was a man on a mission and fully deserved the win.

The second fight, well that was eventful like the first but for all the wrong reasons. I actually think physically Tyson looked better than he had for a long time, he was bobbing and weaving alot early on and thats the first time he had done that for a long, long time. However, mentally Tyson was in a very dark place.. hence the way the fight ended.

Like most kids my age at the time, i was supporting Tyson 100% and didn't really think Holyfield had a chance. Its a shame i wasn't a bit older and wiser, becuase i might have put a few bob on Evander just because the odds were good.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
How do you feel about how the fights were officiated, the alleged headbutts, and other tactics of Holyfield?
Like I said, as a tyson fan, I felt he was treated somewhat unfairly. But It's not something I'm going to cry about. I still feel pre prison tyson would of cooked holyfield, so i'm satisfied with that notion.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I was actually 6 when this fight happened and propably one of the few that said Holyfield would win (altho it was only because i picked him to be my favorite after watching Holyfield vs Bowe trilogy). My dad said Tyson would kncok Holyfield out in one and i said Holyfield would knock Tyson out! Bold statement there but i was right tho. Holyfield just fought a perfect fight and Tyson was really classy in the post fight interview.

The second fight would have been the same imo. Yes tyson bit him but i think Holyfield was on his way to get a tko victory, hed already opened up a huge cut on Tyson and its was going pretty much like the first one, and Tyson sensed that and kinda went nuts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts