Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would it rank among the all-time over-40 boxing accomplishments if Hopkins won?

There are only five fighters in history who have scored what could arguably be termed "great" wins after the age of 40: George Foreman (who won the heavyweight title from Michael Moorer), Archie Moore (who recovered from four knockdowns to defend the light heavyweight throne against Yvon Durelle), Larry Holmes (who upset a prime Ray Mercer), Bob Fitzsimmons (who captured the light heavy title from George Gardner) and Hopkins (who took the 175-pound championship from Antonio Tarver).

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I'm not sure, haven't thought about it. It will be a huge victory for his legacy, but if he does win, it will lack the excitement those fights had. As an accomplishment, not taking into account the fight, it'd rank #1, especially because I expect Pavlik to do big things with his career afterwards as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think Hopkins is a Match Spoiler.. The only way he can win is if he lands a lucky straight Right.

However I feel Pavlik will walk him down.. Also the Pavlik team has brought in a Wrestler to help him get Hopkins OFF him from holding.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I think Hopkins is a Match Spoiler.. The only way he can win is if he lands a lucky straight Right.

However I feel Pavlik will walk him down.. Also the Pavlik team has brought in a Wrestler to help him get Hopkins OFF him from holding.
Whatever Hopkins does it won't be lucky, luck in boxing is almost non existent.

I thought the wrestler comment from Loew was a joke, but this is a really really smart idea. This makes me way more confident in my stoppage prediction. Good look:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea on HBO count down they talked about it how they got a wrestler to help with the clinch b.c we all know B Hop does that allot and he has mastered how to use it.

Most boxers after a clinch have to get there footing correct and their hands and B Hop is already to throw a fast Straight Right hand.

However I think the early rounds will be dangerous for both fighters.

Also did you see Freddie Roach talk about this match? He feel Bernard Hopkins is starting to show the wear of of boxing.

During the Joe Calzahge Fight Bernard went to the wrong corner 4 times during the match.

Also when Bernard was hit low he gave a Oscar winning performance about being hurt for so long.

However I dont count that against Hopkins b.c that is being smart but I have never seen Hopkins do that..

Also the last time I have seen Hopkins on the floor was in the 1994 when he fought Segundo Mercado

Hopkins down in the 5th and the 7th and Segundo was very agressive fighter if anyone can remember.

Anyways.... Lots of people say Hopkins has never been down or KO and its true he has never been KO but he has been down and nearly KO in that fight.

Also durring the first fight with Robert Allen I thought for sure Benard was all done and was old and there was so many clinches that the Fight was ruled a NC after Hopkins was injured when accidentally pushed out of the ring by referee Lane, who was trying to break up one of the many clinches.

However in the next fight Bernard Shocked me and KO Allen...

The more I start to think of this fight the more it intrigues me.
:thumbsup: I cant wait to watch it LIVE!

G

·
As Lampley said in the Countdown "this win would erase his recent losses to Calzaghe and Taylor".

If Pavlik has really brought in a wrestler to help him prepare for Hopkins that's fukking hilarious!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not Sure if Pavlik can carry those extra pounds for 12 rounds so he better knock Hopkins out.

Therefore

Pavlik KO Hopkins Round 1

ALA Tyson v Spinks

Badger in Asia

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not Sure if Pavlik can carry those extra pounds for 12 rounds so he better knock Hopkins out.

Therefore

Pavlik KO Hopkins Round 1

ALA Tyson v Spinks

Badger in Asia
I don't think so.. This is also going to be a test for The GHOST.. he is moveing up in weight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I can't wait to see how Hopkins reacts when Pavlik lands one of his straight rights or an uppercut cleanly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't wait to see how Hopkins reacts when Pavlik lands one of his straight rights or an uppercut cleanly.
Its going to be fun.

Is there a MOD here???? I MOD for a High Bitrate Stream site.

That shows all boxing events.... via Sky Sports and HBO PPV...

If I can put a logo here Ill give the mods Free subs.. they will never miss a PPV event ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts