Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post in the forum a couple weeks ago about the referee of the Hopkins v. Calzaghe fight, Joe Cortez, and I saw some Calzaghe fans whining and upset about it, thinking Cortez has something against British fighters. But it's really Hopkins that has had objected three times to Cortez refereeing his fights and he succeeded in having him replaced before his victory over Trinidad in 2001. Anyone that hates on Cortez either really loves Hatton and buys into his excuse that he loss to Mayweather because of him or they just really like boring, hug and punch matches.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I read a post in the forum a couple weeks ago about the referee of the Hopkins v. Calzaghe fight, Joe Cortez, and I saw some Calzaghe fans whining and upset about it, thinking Cortez has something against British fighters. But it's really Hopkins that has had objected three times to Cortez refereeing his fights and he succeeded in having him replaced before his victory over Trinidad in 2001. Anyone that hates on Cortez either really loves Hatton and buys into his excuse that he loss to Mayweather because of him or they just really like boring, hug and punch matches.
Cortez is curupt, Calzaghe will still school Hopkins.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Cortez has ref'd one of Hopkins fights and he took a BS point of Allen for low blows, i saw that fight. He is incompatant, he's corupt and he's bias.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Cortez is corupt and bias, how's that for shuttin up. He never let Hatton fight and was even breaking the action when there was no clinch. He should never be alowed to ref a british fighter in america again.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is he corrupt cause he didnt let Hatton put on his hugging clinic? And this is gonna hurt Hopkins way more than it will Calzaghe.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Why is he corrupt cause he didnt let Hatton put on his hugging clinic? And this is gonna hurt Hopkins way more than it will Calzaghe.
No, he's currupt because he was breaking the action before the clinch, he was not alowing inside fighting.

Are you even debating the obviousness of this?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who would you put on that assignment then? Smoger who I consider the best ref wouldnt have let Hatton grab in that fight either especialy when the Mayweather camp repeatedly mentioned it to him before the fight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Who would you put on that assignment then? Smoger who I consider the best ref wouldnt have let Hatton grab in that fight either especialy when the Mayweather camp repeatedly mentioned it to him before the fight.
He was breaking the action before any clinch was happening, at one point he jumped in when both guys were letting there hands go!

Smoger dont ref in Vegas.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When someones camp repeatedly tells you to watch for a foul that the other fighter does frequently an hour before a fight he's gonna watch for anything even resembling a clinch. I did see some occasions when they were close that he would break, but basically if your in close with Hatton you are a couple seconds away.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
When someones camp repeatedly tells you to watch for a foul that the other fighter does frequently an hour before a fight he's gonna watch for anything even resembling a clinch. I did see some occasions when they were close that he would break, but basically if your in close with Hatton you are a couple seconds away.
Good, im glad you agree he was currupt, the rules dont say break them because you THINK there will be a clinch they say break them when there is one. Maybe the ref's in Mike Tysons fights should just have waved them off when the first round started because he THOUGHT Tyson would knock them out. :rolleyes:

By the way, Hattons team asked for a fair crack after team Mayweather spoke to Cortez so that would have been fresher in his mind.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Tyson analogy doesnt work because knocking someone out isnt a foul. If Hatton's tactics werent to constantly hold he would have gotten a "fair crack".

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
The Tyson analogy doesnt work because knocking someone out isnt a foul. If Hatton's tactics werent to constantly hold he would have gotten a "fair crack".
There were points in the fight when he was breaking the action when there was no clinching though...For the third time. :rolleyes:

He also takes a point off Hatton when Mayweather turned his back, something he constantly done during the fight and wasn't warned for, never got warned for constantly throwing elbows either.

It was a hatchet job!

Im using your logic on the Tyson analogy.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The point taken off was ill advised and Floyd doesnt throw elbows he puts in front as a defense mechanism and Ricky would run into it. I'm pretty sure Hattons' team didnt tell Cortez about the elbow which is something sutil (like hopkins hip punch on the blind side) or he would have warned em'. And it doesnt take away from the fact that Hatton would have gotten gassed and overwhelmed in the late rounds like the Collazo fight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its difficult to see how the ref was fair and unbiased, attempting to hold or not, attempting infighting or not, the referee did not let the fighters get close and made it clear that he would not allow hatton to fight any other way than on the outside. Everbody knows hattons only chance was on the inside if he ever had one in the first place. **** to make the already underdog fight to the overwhelming favourites strengths totally ruined the fight in fact after the 2nd round i thought the fight was over for hatton (and probably so did he).

The referee stunk of Don Kingism

Badger

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Its difficult to see how the ref was fair and unbiased, attempting to hold or not, attempting infighting or not, the referee did not let the fighters get close and made it clear that he would not allow hatton to fight any other way than on the outside. Everbody knows hattons only chance was on the inside if he ever had one in the first place. **** to make the already underdog fight to the overwhelming favourites strengths totally ruined the fight in fact after the 2nd round i thought the fight was over for hatton (and probably so did he).

The referee stunk of Don Kingism

Badger
Excellant points badger, how anyone can even try and debate it is beyond me. Making a thread then try to argue it is just laughable (smilling)

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you honestly think their would have been a different outcome with a different referee that would have allowed Hatton to to hold, rabbit punch, etc. Look, I'm not saying he did a flawless job but I am saying the outcome would have been the same.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
So you honestly think their would have been a different outcome with a different referee that would have allowed Hatton to to hold, rabbit punch, etc. Look, I'm not saying he did a flawless job but I am saying the outcome would have been the same.
Not what i said. Im saying Cortez is corupt. :laugh:

Nice try.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts