Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has informed Boxingtalk that Frank Warren's Sports Network has gotten world super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe's signature on a contract to fight world light heeavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins on April 19, 2008 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The exciting news is that Hopkins-Calzaghe will not take place on HBO Pay-Per-View but instead will be a special presentation of HBO World Championship Boxing. This will allow Joe Calzaghe maximum exposure in his United States debut and reward Hopkins fans who have had to purchase most of his recent fights on pay-per-view. Schaefer will soon leave for Mexico to inspect at Azteca Sadium as a possible site of Oscar De La Hoya's May 3rd fight

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
if this is true it is a fantastic gift from GBP and the perfect opportunity to let stubborn American fight fans really see one of the greatest of this era.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Very refreshing. All this PPV is really holding boxing back from regaining it's past glory.

Can anybody really say last night was worth $50.00?

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
It makes all the sense in the world, Calsague is not well known at all down here and not to many people like sour Bernard not even in philadelphia, so for sure it's about time they trow us a freebie I had to slow down with the PPV's they star hurting the wallet after two or three...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts

Yes, Roy Jones, Jr.:)

Yes, I thought last night was worth fifty, but she charged me one hundred! :laugh:

I didn't pay $50 for las nights fight, and I am grateful to GBP for allowing us fans to see this potentially great fight on regular HBO.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Yes, Roy Jones, Jr.:)

Yes, I thought last night was worth fifty, but she charged me one hundred! :laugh:

I didn't pay $50 for las nights fight, and I am grateful to GBP for allowing us fans to see this potentially great fight on regular HBO.
Well if you didn't pay it you can't say it was worth it. :p

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Thats great news, and right along the lines of what boxing as a sport needs. This is exactly the type of thing I pointed out recently in my blog article.
http://www.boxingforum.com/blog.php?b=7

Cant wait for the fight!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Thats super cool, now i can see my least favorite fighter in the world get ruined for FREEEEEE. Go Calzaghe send this guy into retirment please!!!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
This is excellant news for you guys in the states!

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
this was the best news EVER! i imagine that being kessler/calzaghe did very low ratings here may have something to do with the decision. not to mention, bernard is not a ppv draw himself.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Man i hope Hopkins loses this fight baaad, i actually watched Hopkins vs Winky for the second time the other day and damn i cant stand the way he fights. Straight right and then clinch the multiply that by 10 and u got a Hopkins fight.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i always say don't focus on the winky fight itself. that fight was an all-around bad matchup which made both fighters look bad imo. i tend to watch at least the past 2 or 3 fights to properly gauge a fighter.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thrilled with the fights I got for $50 on the Roy Jones card, and I loved the Jones-Trinidad fight as well.

This fight wont be nearly as exciting, but it is free so I'm pumped.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. This will reach a lot more viewers than any PPV would have between the two. They will both make plenty of money, so I see it as a good move for both the fighters and the fans.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has informed Boxingtalk that Frank Warren's Sports Network has gotten world super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe's signature on a contract to fight world light heeavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins on April 19, 2008 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The exciting news is that Hopkins-Calzaghe will not take place on HBO Pay-Per-View but instead will be a special presentation of HBO World Championship Boxing. This will allow Joe Calzaghe maximum exposure in his United States debut and reward Hopkins fans who have had to purchase most of his recent fights on pay-per-view. Schaefer will soon leave for Mexico to inspect at Azteca Sadium as a possible site of Oscar De La Hoya's May 3rd fight
Great move by HBO and GBP

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Thats super cool, now i can see my least favorite fighter in the world get ruined for FREEEEEE. Go Calzaghe send this guy into retirment please!!!
You got that right ,and once he takes care of him ,he'll have plenty of Top guys lining up asking for a shot 2008 is gonna be big for calzaghe

1 - 20 of 45 Posts