Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Big developments in the last 24-hours. Felix Trinidad Sr. has told El Nuevo Dia that Bernard Hopkins is not interested in a rematch with Felix "Tito" Trinidad. Hopkins knocked Trinidad out in September 2001 to unify the middleweight division, and Trinidad has been aiming for revenge for the last few years. Hopkins' decision did not surprise Trinidad Sr.

"Hopkins has always said that he does not want to fight Tito again. We were always interested in that fight because it was Hopkins who gave Tito his first loss," said Trinidad Sr, the father/manager/trainer of Tito.

According to Trinidad Sr, they plan to re-target a proposed bout with former champion Jermain Taylor, who is now campaigning as a super middleweight. The Trinidad camp was interested in fighting both Taylor and Hopkins, but Hopkins was the opponent of choice by Tito.

Following Hopkins' split-decision loss to Joe Calzaghe last Saturday, the Trinidad camp made their play to make the rematch. Trinidad's promoter, Don King, contacted Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, to discuss the possibility of Hopkins-Trinidad II. But Hopkins, at age 43, appears more interested in retirement. Taylor is coming off two consecutive losses to Kelly Pavlik, but he also holds two consecutive wins over Hopkins.

In the next few days, the Trinidads, through their lawyer Nicolas Medina, will give promoter Don King an answer to the proposal that was given to them a few weeks ago for a bout with Taylor.

Kerry Davis, senior vice president of HBO Sports, told the paper that he was more interested in a rematch between Roy Jones Jr. and Hopkins. At the same time he says a Hopkins-Trinidad rematch would do well on pay-per-view.

"It's a fight that could sell very well, but I would be more interested in a rematch between Bernard and Roy Jones," Davis said.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
After both of their last performances, I don't see Hop-Tito doing well in sales. They might get some PR fans, but I doubt Hop can pull very many.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
good man, hopkins! there's no need to fight tito again whatsoever:thumbsup:

i would say there's no reason to fight tito again, but money always gives someone a reason to do something.
Why is there no reason to fight him? Cause he already beat him? If that were the case we would never have rematches. I would love to see those two over the hill boxers go at it. Its probably a good idea for both so at least one of them can get a W before they retire.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Why is there no reason to fight him? Cause he already beat him? If that were the case we would never have rematches. I would love to see those two over the hill boxers go at it. Its probably a good idea for both so at least one of them can get a W before they retire.
But with most rematches (non-clause), both fighters were in the fight. Tito got beat down that whole fight.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Tito and his old man must have lost all their marbles, he'll get kill with eighter guy, him and his old man should go quietly into the sunset but they won't, Taylor will enbarrase and retire him permanently...

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
So you guys think we would see the same fight over again? Dont get me wrong I think Hopkins would win that fight but I dont think Tito would let that happen again.
it would be worse imo. maybe tito gets a round or 2 this time, but he gets stopped earlier.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There isn't even grounds for this fight. In 2001 it was the final in the middle weight tournament, so its not like Tito had the strap when he got beat, and it was a shut out to boot, no justification for a rematch.

"It's a fight that could sell very well, but I would be more interested in a rematch between Bernard and Roy Jones," Davis said.;

Now this would be a match with some meaning, and a fitting way for the victor to retire.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
good man, hopkins! there's no need to fight tito again whatsoever:thumbsup:

i would say there's no reason to fight tito again, but money always gives someone a reason to do something.

I'd say as far as the top guys there is no reason for ANYONE to fight Tito. It would be a non-competitive fight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts