Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I rewatched Hopkins-Taylor I today and I had it 116-112 to Hopkins. I think it was robbery there, I can't see how Taylor managed to get 7 rounds. And he constantly turned his back, that wad ******* annoying.

What did everybody else think of the fight?

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I watched that fight like 15 times and everytime I had Hopkins by UD (by 2-4 rounds).

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Yeah I rewatched Hopkins-Taylor I today and I had it 116-112 to Hopkins. I think it was robbery there, I can't see how Taylor managed to get 7 rounds. And he constantly turned his back, that wad ******* annoying.

Close fight. But Hopkins won IMHO.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

116-112? LOL! A better case can be made with Oscar winning the Mayweather fight than Hopkins winning any of his last five fights. Seriously.

In the first Taylor fight, the big Hopkins was running from a guy that the frail and thin Kasim Ouma aggressively chased and hit for twelve rounds. For this alone, Hopkins stock should have plummeted further than the stocks of AIG.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
It pains me to do this being from Philly and all....but damn. Hopkins did nothing the entire first 2/3rds of the fight. Taylor might not have been effective but at least he did SOMETHING. I mean damn, Hopkins clearly lost this one. The second fight is closer, but Taylor still won that one too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All fighters get old, but somehow Bernard Hopkins has avoided this maxim by beating his opponents in the same safety-first, roughhouse style that has defined his career. On Saturday, though, I think Hopkins finally shows his age against Jermain Taylor. I predict Hopkins will get knocked out in the fifth or sixth round. I don't think Hopkins has looked good since he beat Trininad four years ago. Forget about De La Hoya, Robert Allen, William Joppy, that dude Hakkar and Eastman.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
All fighters get old, but somehow Bernard Hopkins has avoided this maxim by beating his opponents in the same safety-first, roughhouse style that has defined his career. On Saturday, though, I think Hopkins finally shows his age against Jermain Taylor. I predict Hopkins will get knocked out in the fifth or sixth round. I don't think Hopkins has looked good since he beat Trininad four years ago. Forget about De La Hoya, Robert Allen, William Joppy, that dude Hakkar and Eastman.

What about Tarver? You don't want to give him props for that? He looked great to me.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think Hopkins has looked good since he beat Trininad four years ago.
Four years ago? It was seven years ago mate.
Hopkins won this by four rounds, no doubt in my eyes. Second fight was another win for Hopkins, or a draw. But no way Taylor did enough to win a clear UD.

G

·
I just finished watching the fight.

I scored it:

Hopkins 9 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 10 | 10 | 114
Taylor 10 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 9 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 114

Draw. So, IMO the fight could've gone either way and i don't have a problem with the decision.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
116-112? LOL! A better case can be made with Oscar winning the Mayweather fight than Hopkins winning any of his last five fights. Seriously.

In the first Taylor fight, the big Hopkins was running from a guy that the frail and thin Kasim Ouma aggressively chased and hit for twelve rounds. For this alone, Hopkins stock should have plummeted further than the stocks of AIG.
That is asinine homie.
I just finished watching the fight.

I scored it:

Hopkins 9 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 10 | 10 | 114
Taylor 10 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 9 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 114

Draw. So, IMO the fight could've gone either way and i don't have a problem with the decision.
I can dig that. IMO if there had to be a winner in both fights it should have been Hopkins in the first and then Taylor in the rematch.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I'm sorry but Hopkins still lost the first fight. I can't give him any of the first ~8 rounds. Doesn't matter if Taylor looked like an amateur, Hopkins did NOTHING. Granted once he started fighting he clearly won each round much bigger than Taylor did, but in boxing you can't give those 2 pt rounds because Taylor was still fighting back and didn't go down.

This is the Philadelphia guy saying this of all people. Hopkins could fight to age 50 and I'd still bet on him...but he lost this fight, there was no robbery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts