Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bernard Hopkins insists that he does want a showdown with Joe Calzaghe - but says the Welshman will have to come to America to fight him.

Calzaghe-Hopkins has been in the pipeline for years, with Hopkins previously pricing himself out of the fight.

But he now says he would be keen on a meeting if Calzaghe beats Mikkel Kessler in November - and the terms were right.

"Let me set this straight once and for all, I don't mind fighting Calzaghe but not until he stops making demands," 42-year-old Hopkins told Boxing News.

"I mean, I don't have to and won't go to Britain to fight no one. Who are they to make demands of me?

"I'm the name who makes pay per view numbers. I was very impressed with his performance, but as far as I'm concerned the only recognisable names on his record are Charles Brewer and Lacy."

Undefeated Calzaghe boxes next on November 3, when he tackles Kessler at the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hopkins isnt exactly a massive draw to be fair. Im not saying Joe is bigger, because thats definetly not true, but Hop thinks hes a bigger draw than he is. Though i do agree, Calzaghe cant expect B-Hop to come to Wales for this fight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Exactly. I really don't think this fight will do numbers at all. Winky/B-Hop only did around 350,000.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it could do very well if promoted right. Hopkins vs Calzaghe will be a mega fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Depends how big Calzaghe is in the US, i dont really know so i cant say, but id imagine he isnt that popular. HBO and Hopkins will probably be looking closely at how Kessler-Calzaghe does.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that he has a pretty good fan base sense he beat Gomez. Even though Gomez has no name but he got exposure through The Contender. Still everything comes down to the promotion.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, with abit of promotion it could sell. Maybe they should make it GB vs. US boxing world cup, the anglo-american rivalry would sell i think.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats an idea to hype up that fight.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Should Joe win Nov 3rd, I think a fight v Hop could sell. They are both top of their respected divisions and I agree the USA v UK promotion will only help it. A proper named undercard would be nice too.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
prettyboywho said:
I think that he has a pretty good fan base sense he beat Gomez. Even though Gomez has no name but he got exposure through The Contender. Still everything comes down to the promotion.
I think by Gomez you mean Manfredo Jr, but I really can't see too many people following Calzaghe after seeing him TKO Manfredo. The fight wasn't that exciting, and I think anyone who watched it finally realized that Manfredo is garbage.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
The fight was pretty excited although it was very one-sided, Calzaghe was non-stop throwing a tonne of combinations. I remember that night well, i was at a party and had a bet with one of my mates. If Manfredo won, id run down the street naked.. if Calzaghe won he had too. It was a laugh:laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I think by Gomez you mean Manfredo Jr, but I really can't see too many people following Calzaghe after seeing him TKO Manfredo. The fight wasn't that exciting, and I think anyone who watched it finally realized that Manfredo is garbage.
Gomez Manfredo samething lol. You knew who I was talking about its been a long day for me here at work.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was wrong. You taking advantage of that man like that.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
You acn't ever say Hopkins is going to fight someone until the contract is signed. Hh says he wants to fight someone then when talks come around, he prices himself out the fight.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'll have to admit I've not seen Calzaghe fight, so I have no opinion on him, but it's clear Hopkins intends on sticking around until someone beats the crap out of him, and that day will come.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
You acn't ever say Hopkins is going to fight someone until the contract is signed. Hh says he wants to fight someone then when talks come around, he prices himself out the fight.
correct, he wanted rjj to take the short change of 60-40 after the middlweight tourny, rjj was still primed and p4p king at the time, roy had also owned him in the past. :laugh:

nards about as trust worthy as a box of rattle snakes.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts