Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uppercuts suck when I'm hitting the mits and bags, but when I spar, I'm good at them. I find it kind of weird. Does anyone else have this, or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captainobvious99 said:
You may not be throwing them properly? Describe the motion and stance you use when throwing your uppercut.

The same way it shows you in all of technique books. You pull it back and it looks like an "L" then you thrust it up and it looks like a "V". Ive tried going across, and that went even worse. My trainer told me to pivot into it, so I did, but that didn't help either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i cant answer your question. but a funny anecdote...

i went to the weight room one day at school and there was a guy there that i knew. he was basically doing every kind of bicep work out and then he started throwing uppercuts but uppercuts using just his bicep. he called them hammerthrows?
i asked him what he was doing and he said something like...
im working my biceps cause thats the muscle you use when you uppercut

i just nodded and walked away

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
be confident in it, throw it with conviction, it'll come, dont always throw it hard, sometimes throw it easy and place it perfectly. its easier to hit bags and mits than a moving target also.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TysonJones said:
its easier to hit bags and mits than a moving target also.

I know, and thats why I'm confused. For some reason I can't hit it very good when its stationary, or staying still, but when its a person moving, blocking, and punching, I can use it pretty good.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aworldsocold said:
i cant answer your question. but a funny anecdote...

i went to the weight room one day at school and there was a guy there that i knew. he was basically doing every kind of bicep work out and then he started throwing uppercuts but uppercuts using just his bicep. he called them hammerthrows?
i asked him what he was doing and he said something like...
im working my biceps cause thats the muscle you use when you uppercut

i just nodded and walked away

A lot of it is fore-arms too. But its more leverage than anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts