Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

How did Berto look to you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
He looked good to me.

He was throwing alot of punches in the early rounds, and he was able to keep that up down the stretch. His defense looked kinda better but I dont know, still doesnt look so imposing to my eyes.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
He amazes me everytime I see him fight. He looked amazing, but his performance was just good. No one has amazing performances against forbes. You just can't knock that guy out. Berto's performance was equal to Oscar's performance. Berto's defense needs improvement and something still scares me about his chin, but I think he will still go far in this sport.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The question is.. Will he be able to beat the big boys at 147?

I mean, Berto isnt tall and his arms are a little short. How would he fare with the likes of Margy and Williams?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Berto looked good enough that Shane doesn't seem eager to fight him.

If Shane isn't willing to fight a guy like Berto tho and can't get Margarito due to the Cotto wanting a rematch...who is he going to fight? I really don't want to see him at 154 anymore, but he may end up fighting Forrest a 3rd time.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Berto looked good. He's not ready for the Margaritos or Williams yet. I can see him outworking Clottey but it would be a tough physical fight and he needs to improve his defense a little bit more. Judah or Collazo would be perfect opponents.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Judah would be just perfect. It also would be a test for his defense and chin at some point, although its a pretty winnable fight.,

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
The question is.. Will he be able to beat the big boys at 147?

I mean, Berto isnt tall and his arms are a little short. How would he fare with the likes of Margy and Williams?
He may never have to. I wouldn't consider it ducking either. Neither seem eager to fight Berto, even though they both would beat him right now. Williams has maybe 1 or 2 fights at welterweight left in him. Margarito may be forced to move up to 154 and doesnt have many years left to begin with. The welterweight division then would only really include Cotto and Clottey. Both of which could very well defeat Berto, but I feel Berto stands a much better chance against them becasue they are his size.

Berto looked good enough that Shane doesn't seem eager to fight him.

If Shane isn't willing to fight a guy like Berto tho and can't get Margarito due to the Cotto wanting a rematch...who is he going to fight? I really don't want to see him at 154 anymore, but he may end up fighting Forrest a 3rd time.
I'd love to see mosley or forrest knock forrest out. I would bet on both.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Judah would be just perfect. It also would be a test for his defense and chin at some point, although its a pretty winnable fight.,
Judah would be the perfect fight to test everything, I agree. I'll take Berto by 7th round KO though.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Berto looked good. He's not ready for the Margaritos or Williams yet. I can see him outworking Clottey but it would be a tough physical fight and he needs to improve his defense a little bit more. Judah or Collazo would be perfect opponents.
Collazo is his mandatory, expect to see that. Berto is being carefully managed. They're bringing him up slowly. He's the future of the division. None of the other elite Welterweights will be around in a couple years save Cotto. He's being primed to fight him.

Ima have to disagree with Tyson that we'll see Clottey at Welterweight years down the line. The guy weighs as much as Williams.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Collazo is his mandatory, expect to see that. Berto is being carefully managed. They're bringing him up slowly. He's the future of the division. None of the other elite Welterweights will be around in a couple years save Cotto. He's being primed to fight him.
Yeah something tells me Berto and Cotto will fight down the line. Especially if Cotto loses his rematch against Margarito.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I think Cotto/Berto has Trilogy written all over it. I called the Vasquez/Marquez trilogy before their first fight. Just something about the way names flow together. Its crazy talk, I know. You heard it hear first.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I called this trilogy happening weeks ago :p
It doesnt count unless I heard it lol;)

It's something I've been thinking for awhile. It'll prob never happen. Hell the fight may never happen. But it just has it written all over it imo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts