Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5'9 and over 235 pounds of lean mass. I find that whenever I try to run, after about a mile or so, my ankle and inner shins start rapidly giving out and the spasms begin. I am not even out of breath or energy at this point. Keep in mind, I am using the top of the line Ascis running shoes with shock support.
It frustrates the living **** out of me because I, compared to the average boxer, have somewhat of a weak stamina/endurance (But pretty good wind for somebody my size) when hitting the heavy bag and want to really improve on my stamina and conditioning. What are other ways that a big guy can drastically increase endurance, that demands the same or greater wind than running, but has minimal impact on the joints/shins? I am thinking maybe swimming or cycling at this point?
There must be something...

·
Registered
841 Posts
First, thats normal, you need to progressively get your body used to running long distances. Try to run farther, say like 1.5-2 miles instead of just one and face the pain, Once your body adapts to that, a mile will be a peice of cake, but just know that your experiencing normal symptoms and that most, especially marathoner's train that exact way. Also, swimming is a great alternative or addition to running aswell as cycling, give them a try. You could also start doing plyometric circuit workouts, those demand heavy cardio:thumbsup:

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Id say swim like hell, that would be great for you since it doesnt really put strain on any part of your body.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try stretching your legs a bit more in genereal, expecially before you run. It could be that your muscles are a little tight, also your running form could be part of the problem too maybe. However I would do both running and swimming. Running will keep your body use to the physical stress and swimming can be a way for your body to relax from that stress as well as continue to build endurance.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I am 5'9 and over 235 pounds of lean mass. I find that whenever I try to run, after about a mile or so, my ankle and inner shins start rapidly giving out and the spasms begin. I am not even out of breath or energy at this point. Keep in mind, I am using the top of the line Ascis running shoes with shock support.
It frustrates the living **** out of me because I, compared to the average boxer, have somewhat of a weak stamina/endurance (But pretty good wind for somebody my size) when hitting the heavy bag and want to really improve on my stamina and conditioning. What are other ways that a big guy can drastically increase endurance, that demands the same or greater wind than running, but has minimal impact on the joints/shins? I am thinking maybe swimming or cycling at this point?
There must be something...
You got it yourself, and the other good guys here confirmed it. Swimming will make a drastic difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since posting this question a few days ago and getting advised to swim from you fellas....I have begun swimming almost everyday and joined the local swim club membership. EVen though It was been a little over a week, I notice a significent boost of endurance and stamina when hitting the heavy bag. So I will continue to do this religiously. I believe that it is because swimming forces you to use more of your "boxing muscles" than running does, thus indirectly increasing punching power/stamina...

oh and swimming is a LOT more fun and challenging than running!

·
Registered
75 Posts
1) warm up slowly (work up a sweat) b4 u stretch for running. u don't wanna pull a cold muscle.

2) take some running classes. they'll show u proper form.
The Perfect Form

3) run on the grass. (watch out for potholes, they'll break ur ankles) lol haha...wait i shouldn't be laughing cuz it happened to me.

4) take up swimming for 3 months. michael phelps has to eat 15k carbs to supply him for his workouts. great cardio in swimming.

5) u might hav injured something in ur ankle, don't work out thru it like other athletes cuz that would be stupid.

5) drop to cruiserweight and that'll help a LOT. unless that's the weight u wanna fight in :)

more mass needs more resources.

endurance is pushing the envelope to the point of fatigue...just don't kill urself (drink a lot of electrolytes, pool water doesn't count)
get up next day and push further than the other day.
go faster go harder go longer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts