1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how far do you think i can go? :confused:

height: about 5'10"
weight: 129 (i can lose about 9 pounds)
max benchpress: 205 lbs about 5 times (i usually do 185 lbs 8-12 times) i know lifting weights is not recommended, but i love doing it and don't plan on stopping.

i'm pretty athletic and for the last two months i've really been interested in boxing. i've trained at my friends office for the last two months and want to step it up by going to a gym. (there's about 5 boxing gyms within 30 miles of my house)i'm still learning, but currently i spar, hit the heavy bag, and hit the pads. i can take a hit and i hit real hard for my weight class.

i also do yoga, cardio, a lot of core work, plyometrics, kenpo, and a couple of different ab routines. (the whole p90x routine)

people usually think i weigh 140 to 150, but for some reason, i only weigh 129. i eat a lot, but my metabolism is very fast. i only drink water, gatorade, pure orange juice, and sometimes energy drinks. i eat a lot of chicken for protein. i don't drink soda and try to stick to a low carb diet.

here's a clip of me hitting the heavy bag. keep in mind, that earlier that morning i ran almost 2 miles, worked out my chest and arms for about 2 hours in the afternoon, and worked out my chest and arms again night, then i hit the bag (so i wasn't 100% after factoring in fatigue)

i'm also using 16 oz gloves instead of the 10-12 oz gloves that i shoud be using.

YouTube - HurricaneSeason

·
Registered
286 Posts
You'll go as far as you want.........first go and visit those gyms and pay attention to the trainers, ask as many questions as you can and see which one feels the best for you and when you start listen to what they tell you......be patient

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Well, you need to improve your hand speed and form. Your wide open for counter left hooks and right hooks and uppercuts. Also, bring your hands right back to your cheek bones right after you throw the punch, other wise, you will get KO'd.

Sorry to be so critical. :D

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
You appear to be in good shape, and you have good height for your weight. There are alot of positives there to work with. Its also good that your doing alotof other sports and activities because they help to also build up your coordination, which is something else thats very important for boxing.

Like bill said, there are alot of flaws with your fundamentals judging from that video. But thats not anything to worry about right now so don't take offense to it. Almost everyone that hasn't stepped into a boxing gym or recieved instruction from someone who really knows what their doing, is going to need alot of work to become a proficient boxer, and thats normal. I know I would have looked like a fool trying to put a video together like you did when I first decided to start boxing/training. It took a lot of time and work and instruction for me to get a grasp on how your supposed to box, fundamentally. The footwork and movement, the punching basics and techniques, defense. Theres alot to learn there. If you have the desire, you can go far. You just have to be willing to gut it out, and work hard, practice and get to the gym regularly. DEFINITELY get to one of your local gyms like the Auctioneer said above. Meet the trainers and see who feels like the best fit for you.
Good luck to you, and welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Captainobvious said:
You appear to be in good shape, and you have good height for your weight. There are alot of positives there to work with. Its also good that your doing alotof other sports and activities because they help to also build up your coordination, which is something else thats very important for boxing.

Like bill said, there are alot of flaws with your fundamentals judging from that video. But thats not anything to worry about right now so don't take offense to it. Almost everyone that hasn't stepped into a boxing gym or recieved instruction from someone who really knows what their doing, is going to need alot of work to become a proficient boxer, and thats normal. I know I would have looked like a fool trying to put a video together like you did when I first decided to start boxing/training. It took a lot of time and work and instruction for me to get a grasp on how your supposed to box, fundamentally. The footwork and movement, the punching basics and techniques, defense. Theres alot to learn there. If you have the desire, you can go far. You just have to be willing to gut it out, and work hard, practice and get to the gym regularly. DEFINITELY get to one of your local gyms like the Auctioneer said above. Meet the trainers and see who feels like the best fit for you.
Good luck to you, and welcome to the forums.
What he said. I'll get you a list of gyms and phone numbers in your area if you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies

i've been practicing keeping my hands up when i throw punches (hold a medicine ball using my left bicep and forarm while i throw a right cross). as far as my hand speed, i was training for that whole day so i wasn't 100%. also, i've never had any real training, i just observed my friends while they were practicing.

don't worry about hurting my feelings, i take it all in as constructive criticism. i'm gonna take a look at a the first of many gym's on tuesday.

PrettyBoyFloyd, it would be helpful if you can send me the list of gyms and phone numbers in my area. :thumbsup: i did a quick search on google, and noticed two of the gym in my area didn't show up.

even if i don't go anywhere in boxing, i'm having so much fun training, sparring, etc.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Click on my name and then select send a private message. Then I will give you a list of at least 5 gyms with addresses and phone numbers. Boxing's fun ain't it? :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
your not boxing your brawling/street fighting. youre leaving your hands way to low when you throw your punches and your leaving ur chin wide open. im no expert just one of the major mistakes i could see u doing. id be surprised if you werent getting knocked down in sparring simply cause ur hands ae so low. whenever u throw a punch make sure ur opposite hand comes back to ur chin and not by ur waist.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the best advice i can give you my friend is get yourself a proper trainer, as someone mensioned you seem in great shape and thats a big plus to anyone starting out.

from what i see, your delivery of a punch is all wrong, when you jab your elbow should be in line with your shoulder and also held up higher so you can look straight down your arm so when you throw it its like an arrow going at its target, as soon as you've flung your jab bring your hand straight back to your cheek like bill1234 mensioned.

your balance is off to mate which is because of your stance, thats a very easy thing though to rectify when you have someone working with you who knows there stuff.

there looks to be good athletisism and raw power to work with though so good luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts