Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is a fun question because Duran could've reigned a very very long time at lightweight! However, is anybody prepared to put a number on this? Also the Duran of 1978, that unified the title and so beautifully defeated Dejesus, defeats ever single lightweight that ever walked the planet since the dinosaurs-from Benny Leonard to Pac-man, it doesn't matter. Let me outline some of the more prominent features of Duran's career to help you decide this question.

How many of you know that Duran set records for the most number of title defenses in his class and set the outright record for most consecutive KO's in title defenses. He is also the only lightweight to ever have won the middleweight crown and his win over Leonard is the single most brilliant and dazzling performance by any boxer in the history of the sport. His win of the welterweight crown exhausts all superlatives. As someone put it, "it was the greatest act of athletic heroism".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Until he couldn't make weight.
Come on bill1234, I was expecting a better answer than that.

The question I had in mind was different. I wasn't asking how long could've Duran remained a lightweight. We already know the answer to this. Duran officially moved up in 1979.

I wanted to ask a hypothetical question. If Duran didn't gain weight and continued to stay a lightweight, how long could he have reigned as champion? That's the fun question I had in mind. I would give it easily 15yrs.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts

The question I had in mind was different. I wasn't asking how long could've Duran remained a lightweight. We already know the answer to this. Duran officially moved up in 1979.

I wanted to ask a hypothetical question. If Duran didn't gain weight and continued to stay a lightweight, how long could he have reigned as champion? That's the fun question I had in mind. I would give it easily 15yrs.
Yeah bill, yur so silly ;)

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts

Well I'm sorry. I'm not in a typing mood today.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
lol you taught me something today anyways, even if there did not feel like typing that much.

I did not know that you had to have a certain mood to be typing. lol.
Oh yes. If I don't want to type, I'm not going to go and type a 5 paragraph essay.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
*still ignores bill because he made me cry* *cries then lights up when waitress brings food* hmmm, i forget what I was crying about. Hey bill, hows it going?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.