Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I've been looking into boxing lately and ive been training about 5-6 times a week. For about 3weeks. The problem is I havent joined a boxing gym YET (I plan to soon), I have almost no experience with a boxing related workout and I would like to push myself harder without overworking it. So I was just wondering what you guys do for your normal workout and how long is it?

Im 21 and I weigh 214lbs, at 6foot 3inchs

My workout right now:
Currently I start up by doing 1 3min round of shadowboxing just to get my heart going. After that I'll skip (about 150 jumps or so, im really bad at it :D), then I fallow that up with 3-4 Rounds of workout on the heavy bag. After that ill cool off with about 30+ situps and 15-20 pushups (I know im a panzy but they are hard when your tall!). This takes me about 30 mins, is this a good time for a workout or should i try and double this? My goal in this isnt to just get into shape but to actually be a competitive fighter. I would like to increase my stamina, could you guys recommend any extra things I can add onto my workout to help?

Thanks alot,
Rob W

·
Registered
10 Posts
First of all, I'm surprised at how few people answer at these posts. Maybe boxing just isn't that popular.

Anyway, for my boxing training I 1st start out with jump rope. It varies, but usually 3 times of 1 min each resting 1 min inbetween.

Then running in place with your arms up and down (as if your trying to reach for the sky). As the left leg comes up the right arm should be reaching up, etc. This is to make you light on your feet and is a pain in the #[email protected]@! Again 3x times 1 min each. Resting 1 min. each time inbetween.

Then shadow boxing. Yesterday did the jab. Jabbing and stepping at the same time. To the right 5x times, moving back to the left 5x, forward...back, etc. Then repeated. You need lots of floor space for this to move around.

Then jumping jacks. 3 times again a min each, resting 1 min. inbetween.

Of course before all of this I stretch. For the workouts,instead of the 1 min, rest 1 min. (3X), sometimes it's 1 min,rest,45 sec, rest, 30 sec. (3X). You may want to start out with the second one if you're tired.

After all of the calestenic type stuff, someone holds pads for me while I do the 1-2-3-4-weave-weave routine (jab-cross to left-hook to right-left uppercut-right uppercut-weave-weave) with my bare hands. Just keep trying to get the pivoting right, etc., and ducking so he doesn't hit me with the pads.

Another pad routine I did the other day (I wore gloves) was left lower body punch (hook), right lower body punch, right cross, left hook, bob/weave, bob/weave....over and over till I was dead. Moving around after some who was holding pads and swinging at me in circles the entire time.

I think boxing is a really really tough sport. Every time I train it completely takes it out of me. I only started this about three weeks ago. The entire training is 1 hour. After the training I usually go to the weight room for 45 min. or so and pump some iron, stretch, etc. I go several times per week.

Sometimes during the week I also practice at the hanging punching bags. Just the jabs, cross, hooks. Switching sides and back again.
It's funny because I stand like a "righty", but I'm a south paw. Because of this my right cross is weak. So I'm working on making my right arm stronger.

good luck

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Here's my workout:

(all rounds are 3 minutes long)

1. Shadow box for 3 rounds.

2. Hit the heavybag for 4 rounds. The final 30 seconds of each round I hit it as fast and hard as I can nonstop.

3. Do 80 sit ups on an incline board set at a 45 degree angle with a 5lb weight on my chest

4. Hit the mits for 4 rounds

5. Jump rope for 3 rounds

6. Do the rope for 3-4 rounds.

7. Hit the speed bag for 3 rounds

8. Hit the double end bag for 3 rounds

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not lame at all.

When I got into this boxing I really thought I was in great shape.

After several weeks I looked on the Internet (because I couldn't believe how tiring it was) to read about boxing.

I found out that it is rated at "the top toughest sport" among all 60 sports.

Toughest in endurance, agility, speed, strength,...etc. It was rated by a panel of experts on the Olympic Sports committee.

I mean, after just a few short rounds of actual boxing practice...it really takes it out of you. It's very rewarding though, and has boosted my confidence.

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
at least an hour, try for an hour and a half on average, no more than two hours. I mean, unless your serious about it. Professionals train like three times a day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well heres what we do in my gym

1. Start off with about 10 - 20 mins of skipping rope to warm-up

2. then we pair up in the ring and do punching/catching drills with each other(12 rounds of 3 mins)

3. then 12 rounds on the bags

4. Then abs, everyone does their own workout

5. a few rounds of shadow boxing

By the end of it we cant lift our arms:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts