Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now got WBA, WBC, WBU, IBO, WBO etc etc, the true weight champion can never be defined because each organisations champion can easily steer clear of a natural contender. A law should be passed where unification is compulsary, the champion should have to fight the number one ranked and all organisation should agree on the number one ranked contender, the game has gone for me and can never be the same. All opinions on this will be appreciated.

·
Registered
735 Posts
We now got WBA, WBC, WBU, IBO, WBO etc etc, the true weight champion can never be defined because each organisations champion can easily steer clear of a natural contender. A law should be passed where unification is compulsary, the champion should have to fight the number one ranked and all organisation should agree on the number one ranked contender, the game has gone for me and can never be the same. All opinions on this will be appreciated.
Agreed, it would be great if a tournament between all the champions was held in order to unify the titles in each weight. No one should be called undisputed champ until doing so.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Agreed, it would be great if a tournament between all the champions was held in order to unify the titles in each weight. No one should be called undisputed champ until doing so.
That would be brilliant but it is unlikely to happen :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also believe that anyone holding a belt should have to fight every X amount of months, maybe ever 3-5 months, i think its bs some of these fighters win a belt but then dont fight for a long time but are still considered the champ.

There should be one belt for each weight class.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
^^^^^^That won't happen unless, the U.S makes sanctioning bodies illegal because they arent leaving since there is so much money in it.

If all the promoters stopped being greedy and stopped protecting their fighters and investment would do it too, that will not be happening anytime soon.

If one promoter somehow got all or most of the top fighters, would make it possible too, since he he won't be worried that much on who loses because everyones under contract with him.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
It's important that the fans know who is the best fighter in the division. So long as that is still clear, boxing should be OK :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
None of this will happen for a long time if ever. The promoters are making too much money with 6-8 champions per division. It all started back around 1983. The champs were having other belts litterally being formed as they were the champion. But the different bodies were naming BS champs and contenders so the other champs couldn't get their title without losing 5-6 million. It was a great buisness move, but it destroyed boxing.

What boxing needs is one belt, and make it universal. Like the WBC or something because it's the oldest and the most credible. The only problem with that is, if you get one terrible head guy, and boxing can go down the tubes...again.

Boxing also needs it's fighters to suck somethings up. "I jammed my thumb and the fight is in 4 months...I can't fight." Once the fighter signs the contract to fight, they should fight on that date unless certain extremes happen where it will be exceptable to pull out or postpone. Fighters 25 years and back would fight on 3 days notice and sick/injured. That's why their records on average were like 62-9-4 and stuff like that. They would fight 10-20 times a year. They were only making a few hundred a fight if they were lucky. So they fought often and were always training. Braddock went into many fights with a broken hand which is why, in total, he won less than half of his fights. It makes me sick to see people like Vitali Klitschko pulling out of fights months before due to a minor injurie. Back in the day, he'd be hard pressed even to fight a guy making his debute because they couldn't count on him to show up on fight night.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
None of this will happen for a long time if ever. The promoters are making too much money with 6-8 champions per division. It all started back around 1983. The champs were having other belts litterally being formed as they were the champion. But the different bodies were naming BS champs and contenders so the other champs couldn't get their title without losing 5-6 million. It was a great buisness move, but it destroyed boxing.

What boxing needs is one belt, and make it universal. Like the WBC or something because it's the oldest and the most credible. The only problem with that is, if you get one terrible head guy, and boxing can go down the tubes...again.

Boxing also needs it's fighters to suck somethings up. "I jammed my thumb and the fight is in 4 months...I can't fight." Once the fighter signs the contract to fight, they should fight on that date unless certain extremes happen where it will be exceptable to pull out or postpone. Fighters 25 years and back would fight on 3 days notice and sick/injured. That's why their records on average were like 62-9-4 and stuff like that. They would fight 10-20 times a year. They were only making a few hundred a fight if they were lucky. So they fought often and were always training. Braddock went into many fights with a broken hand which is why, in total, he won less than half of his fights. It makes me sick to see people like Vitali Klitschko pulling out of fights months before due to a minor injurie. Back in the day, he'd be hard pressed even to fight a guy making his debute because they couldn't count on him to show up on fight night.
Isnt WBA the oldest Bill?

Anyways, I dont give credit to any of those crappy organizations. There should be a unified organization.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Isnt WBA the oldest Bill?

Anyways, I dont give credit to any of those crappy organizations. There should be a unified organization.
Yes, but it hasn't be consistant in being a top belt. It lost a lot of it's power when the WBC came around and had the better champions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts