Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last five years we have seen an excessive amount of PPV's. In your opinion, how many superfights since the start of 2003 have actually been PPV worthy? Which fights do you think were right to be put on PPV.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well, I'll just go from 2004 on since I have a handy list here:

May 15th: Antonio Tarver-Roy Jones II
September 18th: Bernard Hopkins-De La Hoya
November 27th: Erik Morales-Marco Antonio Barrera III

March 19th: Morales-Manny Pacquiao I
October 1st- Tarver-Jones III

January 21st: Pacquiao-Morales II
April 8th: Floyd Mayweather-Zab Judah
June 10th: Antonio Tarver-Hopkins
November 18th: Pacquiao-Morales III

March 17th: Barrera-Juan Manuel Marquez
May 5th: De La Hoya-Mayweather
October 6th: Pacquiao-Barrera II
December 8th: Mayweather-Ricky Hatton

January 19th: Jones-Trinidad
March 15th: Pacquiao-Marquez II
July 26th: Antonio Margarito-Cotto
December 6th: De La Hoya-Pacquiao

·
Blood Clot Jungle Techno
403 Posts
Not a lot of the fights over here in the UK are PPV as they wouldn't get the return on making them PPV. If they are which some have been in the past then me and my friends would chip in, other than that find a pub that has it on.I was suprised Mr Frank Warren put the latest Kahn fight on Sky box office:confused:
Good job me and the lads chipped in which cost a mere two quid instead of £15..

I know that the majority of big fights in America are PPV as they'd generate more income. I know that the Cotto/Margarito must of been worth every penny.I'd be interested to learn how many fights in America are PPV or if any or on normal sporting channels?

G

·
We don't have many PPV's over here but the last couple have ended in the Brit getting brutally knocked out. So it's been a while since I've got my money's worth from a personal point of view.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
All of them. It is what it is. 50 bucks a month dedicated to my favorite hobby. So worth it.
Agreed. Sometimes I see fights on HBO that I would have paid 50 bucks to see such as the Hatton vs Malignaggi fight coming up. Many more I have seen that's just one that comes to mind.
I've got to disagree with you two. As much as I love the sport, and I watch all the fights no matter how obscure or which ten loss journeymen are duking it, I don't make the big bucks so a year like 2006 with HBO having ten pay-per-view shows can help to bleed me dry. I still pony up the cash, but it's a bit painful.

July 31st: Erik Morales-Carlos Hernandez
December 11th: Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams
September 20th: Barrera-Robbie Peden
August 12th: Hasim Rahman-Oleg Maskaev
September 16th: Barrera-Rocky Juarez II
November 4th: Mayweather-Carlos Baldomir

Fights like these are difficult to justify in any economy.

If Showtime can present amazing fights like Corrales/Castillo I and Vasquez/Marquez III on "free" Showtime, then HBO has no excuse. They've just got to be smarter with their boxing budget, stop paying exorbitant licensing fees for fights that are sure to be stinkers such as anything featuring Wlad Klitschko. Showtime's only major PPV event since '05 was last year's Mayorga/Vargas clash. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well yea there are certain exceptions and those are a few of them. I dont buy every PPV that comes out but recently most of them have been fights I would pay for.
Yeah, even if I am stone cold opposed to paying the extra $50 for one, I still can't help but do it, because I can't bear the thought of missing out. That being said, even though a lot of the PPVs lately may be worth it, it'd be nice if HBO would throw us a bone or two every now and then and make one of those big fights on WCB. And I'm not talking about Calzaghe/Hopkins either.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I've got to disagree with you two. As much as I love the sport, and I watch all the fights no matter how obscure or which ten loss journeymen are duking it, I don't make the big bucks so a year like 2006 with HBO having ten pay-per-view shows can help to bleed me dry. I still pony up the cash, but it's a bit painful.

July 31st: Erik Morales-Carlos Hernandez
December 11th: Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams
September 20th: Barrera-Robbie Peden
August 12th: Hasim Rahman-Oleg Maskaev
September 16th: Barrera-Rocky Juarez II
November 4th: Mayweather-Carlos Baldomir

Fights like these are difficult to justify in any economy.

If Showtime can present amazing fights like Corrales/Castillo I and Vasquez/Marquez III on "free" Showtime, then HBO has no excuse. They've just got to be smarter with their boxing budget, stop paying exorbitant licensing fees for fights that are sure to be stinkers such as anything featuring Wlad Klitschko. Showtime's only major PPV event since '05 was last year's Mayorga/Vargas clash. Kudos to them.
Of course there are exceptions, however I did buy 4 of those above. And quite enjoyed it. Mayweather put on a hell of a performance and Paul williams looked great on the undercard against santos pakau. Barrera boxed the ears of Rocky Juarez and showed he still had some left. Erik Morales vs Carlos Hernandez was a good fight. I'm a fan of both of those fighers so it was worth it as well. And Barrera vs Peden was just a fight a bought to support MAB. I hardly ever watch heavies fight, and I'm definently not paying to see 4 bum heavies fight. However, if push came to shove today, I would most likely buy. The last ppv I didnt buy was winky vs bhop because I never really cared for both. But if for some reason a rematch came off and was on ppv next weekend, I would most likely buy.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Of course there are exceptions, however I did buy 4 of those above. And quite enjoyed it. Mayweather put on a hell of a performance and Paul williams looked great on the undercard against santos pakau. Barrera boxed the ears of Rocky Juarez and showed he still had some left. Erik Morales vs Carlos Hernandez was a good fight. I'm a fan of both of those fighers so it was worth it as well. And Barrera vs Peden was just a fight a bought to support MAB. I hardly ever watch heavies fight, and I'm definently not paying to see 4 bum heavies fight. However, if push came to shove today, I would most likely buy. The last ppv I didnt buy was winky vs bhop because I never really cared for both. But if for some reason a rematch came off and was on ppv next weekend, I would most likely buy.
I'm not saying that they weren't worth watching, but they aren't of the PPV echelon in my view. PPV should be reserved for the absolute best fights that can be made. The last PPV event I didn't get was Pacquaio/Barrera II because I expected it to be one-sided and I had just gone to AC for Pavlik/Taylor I the week before and was short on spare cash. Like you, I didn't buy into the "Coming To Fight" tag for Hopkins/Wright and said "no thank you."

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I'm not saying that they weren't worth watching, but they aren't of the PPV echelon in my view. PPV should be reserved for the absolute best fights that can be made. The last PPV event I didn't get was Pacquaio/Barrera II because I expected it to be one-sided and I had just gone to AC for Pavlik/Taylor I the week before and was short on spare cash. Like you, I didn't buy into the "Coming To Fight" tag for Hopkins/Wright and said "no thank you."
I agree, but at the same time we do get hbo and showtime fights that could very well be ppv and they arent. Much like Taylor Pavlik one like you mentioned. We are also getting Mosley Mayorga for free which a few years ago would of been ppv. I would of payed for calzaghe kessler as well which was free. It's a love hate relationship with the way hbo determines its ppv. But it all equals out one way or another. Its just the price we pay to support this sport.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I agree, but at the same time we do get hbo and showtime fights that could very well be ppv and they arent. Much like Taylor Pavlik one like you mentioned. We are also getting Mosley Mayorga for free which a few years ago would of been ppv. I would of payed for calzaghe kessler as well which was free. It's a love hate relationship with the way hbo determines its ppv. But it all equals out one way or another. Its just the price we pay to support this sport.
No doubt man, and I suppose I'll be doing it as long as I'm around, even if I have to decide whether or not I want to eat on a given week.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Normally I wouldnt give a **** but it just sucks for people that dont have that 50 bucks a month to spend. We have all heard people say "Its a poor mans sport" but you gotta have money to watch the guys you look up to fight.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
No doubt man, and I suppose I'll be doing it as long as I'm around, even if I have to decide whether or not I want to eat on a given week.
Normally I wouldnt give a **** but it just sucks for people that dont have that 50 bucks a month to spend. We have all heard people say "Its a poor mans sport" but you gotta have money to watch the guys you look up to fight.
It's a poor mans sport in contrast to the fighters. It's definently not a sport to keep up with if you dont have money. Thats true. Not saying you can't. Rebroadcasts are great. But I'd be lieing if I said it wasn't easier with money. Money buys happiness all the time.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
There all worthy. I don't miss any PPV. HBO, Latin Fury, Golden Boy. Whatever. I get them all. I collect fights for myself. Everything goes on DVD. I don't care who's fighting.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
There all worthy. I don't miss any PPV. HBO, Latin Fury, Golden Boy. Whatever. I get them all. I collect fights for myself. Everything goes on DVD. I don't care who's fighting.
Same with me, However I usually do without the latin furies. I have someone else send me the chavez jr cards and stuff later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts