Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im curious about that. im 72" tall (6 feet), but have a 77.5" reach from fingertip to fingertip. im not a boxer and i havent even worked out since i was 15 (im 19 years old now) and im only 155 lbs, but i was wondering if i ever got in a fist fight, does the extra few inches really matter much?
im not planning on fighting anyone, im mostly just interested in the physics of it :p
thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Long reaches are great, especially in amateur boxing because it's all on point scoring and knockdowns. I don't have a very long reach(28 inches), but in theory, you will be able to wade off your opponent easily, if he dives in, you can always fall back on a block, like an elbow block. However, your height is unimpressive for your weight, I've sparred with plenty of people an inch or two taller than that coming from a weightclass under you and have outmatched them on more than one occasion. I'm 5'7" for Amateur boxing Welterweight 152 lbs exact. Not a very impressive height or weight eh? But anyways, it shouldn't matter, there have been 5'6" heavyweight champs. But if you are interested in learning about it it, join a boxing gym for the experience! When you land solid punches on a bag(or a person) you feel real good! But on the reach thing, you must be a mutant hah, my reach is only 1/3 of that, unless you mean cm,(I hope you are), then you are fairly normal, but still somewhat short for your height.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts