Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sparring i sometimes get caught in the corner or against the ropes when im up against bigger guys. Most of the time i avoid it by moving back to the middle of the ring but sometimes i get in the corner and pay for it. What can i do to avoid this as much as possible?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Use your angles more, like bill said don't step back, throw your jab and move to the side, if he's throwing at you duck/slip while moving to his side then counter, it's all in the footwork.

·
Registered
87 Posts
pivot

Pivot off your front foot 90 degrees and follow up with a jab (or more). Don't get into a shoving match. Just pivot out and let them go by.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
The ideas above are good, someone you should study is Hopkins during and after Trinidad, especially any Hopkins fight after Taylor I his follow his footwork he doesn't let himself get trapped in corners even when his back stays facing the ropes and when he does get trapped you can see him getting out of it without even throwing a punch.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
when you're trapped in corners you have to fight out of them. I suggest a hook which pushes them off balance on one side and skate around to the side. You need to pick your stamina up if bigger guys are bringing you to the ropes cause you're ognna have to do a lot of skating around the ring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts