Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While sparring, I have been in the ring with very fast fighters. Their hand speed is such that I see the fist coming and I don't have time to react.

Any ideas on how to fight these guys ???

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well
1. Get faster
2. Work on D, parrying, slipping, ect.
3. Throw your jab and move in close then go to work, they won't be able to utilize their speed as much when your fighting an inside fight.
4. Use your angles, side step and counter.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Yeah, what Brooks said is right. Don't even let the guy breathe, just keep moving forward asserting pressure and throwing short hooks, and make sure to keep your defense up. The short hooks are so that it is difficult to get around your defense while you are throwing punches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Learn to cut off the ring and take away their space. Try to keep on them and make them do the larger part of the moving but use some ring sense and cut off the ring until you eventually corner them. Keep your hands up obviously and I'm guessing that when Rican says smother them, he's talking about interupting his punches enough with your hands and arms that his punches lose their form and effectiveness until you can eventually walk into closer range. Once you get inside though, you gotta throw some of your own so that he doesn't get a lot of time to react.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
While sparring, I have been in the ring with very fast fighters. Their hand speed is such that I see the fist coming and I don't have time to react.

Any ideas on how to fight these guys ???
1. Cut the ring off. If they're fast in the middle of the ring they'll pick you apart. Cut them off and try and send them to the ropes.

2. Smother them. Kinda links to number one in a way. Don't give em space in the middle of the ring. Use your jab to work inside, that'll negate their handspeed no matter how fast.

3. Head movement. If you move your head then it'll be much harder for a fast guy to catch you. Anticipate what they're doing, notice patterns, and then use head movement to negate the accuracy of your opponent. Also work on parrying and slipping punches and NsBLife said.

4. Lateral movement. If you move from side to side then you'll make it significantly harder for a fast guy to line you up. Make sure you're not flat footed, and you use the ring effectively. Keep moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.