Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been boxing for about 8-9 weeks and i still get scared when im about to spar. Is their anyway i can take the fear of gettin hit? The fear almost cost me to quit..but i just like the sport to much.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Everybody has that fear when they start out. Over time, you will get used to the punches. One of the only ways to get rid of the fear is to keep on fighting and it will go away.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Let someone hit you, this sounds nutty but ask someone you spar with an you are only aloud to defend.
That would actually be a pretty good idea. When I wanted to be able to move my back and dodge a lot of punches, I tied my hands behind my back and had someone fight me. It really works well on your defense if you really want to stop getting hit ;)

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Well ive been boxing for about 8-9 weeks and i still get scared when im about to spar. Is their anyway i can take the fear of gettin hit? The fear almost cost me to quit..but i just like the sport to much.
You need a mouthpiece, and you gotta get hit... When you're thinking about attacking, do it. The more offenseive you're when you're starting, the the quicker you lose the fear of getting hit.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Getting hit doesn't hurt. And what does hurt you will get used to. Also when going to strike just think about how your gonna hurt the other guy and not worry about yourself. Those are my words of wisdom.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Getting hit doesn't hurt. And what does hurt you will get used to. Also when going to strike just think about how your gonna hurt the other guy and not worry about yourself. Those are my words of wisdom.

Getting hit in the nose and body can definitely hurt at times, although i feel no pain anywhere else

·
Registered
212 Posts
I Spar without a headguard most the time, i hate them things haha
maybe thats why ur scared. Because you spar without the headgear and it hurts more when you get hit. Even pro boxers spar with headgear. Sparring without headgear is like a pro fight, and ur obviously not ready to feel that level of pain yet.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
maybe thats why ur scared. Because you spar without the headgear and it hurts more when you get hit. Even pro boxers spar with headgear. Sparring without headgear is like a pro fight, and ur obviously not ready to feel that level of pain yet.
The headgear itself doesnt absorv much of the impact. If its a knockout punch coming at your chin, you're getting Ko'd anyways - and thats pretty much the same for any punch.

The real advantage of using a headgear is to protect from cuts and bad bruises.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
I recommend sparring without headgear, it makes you tougher and forces you to get used to the punches. I have never sparred with headgear in my life, and I am hard to hurt unless you get me at the right spot.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts

Who said i was scared of getting hit, I spar and sometimes fight without a head guard, also i dont think you have fought a round in you're life, the level of pain is low its just the guts to let you're self test that and get hit.

Not exactly me at my best, but here is a clip of one of my fights not using headguards

YouTube - My am fight

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Who said i was scared of getting hit, I spar and sometimes fight without a head guard, also i dont think you have fought a round in you're life, the level of pain is low its just the guts to let you're self test that and get hit.

Not exactly me at my best, but here is a clip of one of my fights not using headguards

YouTube - My am fight
well this post is called How to get rid of fear so we assumed that fear meant scared lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts