Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just started with this so this might be kind of a dumb question...
I bought a heavybag today and when I land a left hook on it with my nuckles to the bag it tends to hurt. (and I even wear leather boxing gloves)
But when I just throw it with my palm to the bag it seems to hit harder and doesn't hurt.

Am I supposed to land it with my palm or do my nuckles have to get used to it? And WILL my nuckles get used to it if so?
PS: I'm 16 if it matters.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yes, your knuckles should always be landing in all of your punches. When you throw the left hook, your forarms should be parallel to the ground as you torque your hips and torso, rotating them toward the bag. The hook should be explosive and utilize the hips and torso, not just your arm.

Your knuckles will get more solid over time as you work the bags.
Out of curiosity, what kind of gloves are you using, and what weight are they? You should really be using a high quality glove with good padding, and Id say around 14 ounces if your having knuckle soreness.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm all I know about my gloves is that they are from Everlast and made out of leather, they are specially made to hit the heavybag. But I've been hitting alot today and already I'm noticing major diffirence so guess it was just a starterproblem.
But I noticed a new problem though... When I do my hooks in a combo (eg: Left hook to liver -> Right hook to head) I never seem to be able to get my defence up again that quickly. Do I just need more practice on it or are Left hook -> right hook combos just not that clever?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I would try moving at half speed and make sure that you return your gloves to protect your chin . Afetr you get good at keeping your hands up while punching at slower speed, then speed it up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay keeping the defence up is working fine for me now but I have another question. In training videos boxing trainers always say to keep your hands up to your chin. But when I see matches of awesome pro boxers (leonard, ali, joe louis...) they just all keep their hands pretty low... What's the right thing to do and why?

Also alot of of times when Joe Frazier and others lands his legendary left hook he barely moves his torso and hips... What's the deal with that? Cause he seems to knock his opponents out pretty hard with his technique.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
there will always be some exceptions to the rule. Some guys can make up for fundamentals with incredible speed, or very awkward styles.
While Joe Frazier KO'd many guys, he also took ALOT of punches, mainly becuase he wasn't keeping his hands up :)

Look at a guy like Winky Wright. Amazing defense and fundamentals. Thats the type of style you should be emulating as a beginner/amateur.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have yet another question guys...
So I pretty much passes the phase where my knuckles hurt to much when I punch the heavy bag. But now, especially when I (left) hook properly by rotating torso/hips etc, the bones in the centre of my hand (not sure how you call it in english) hurt.
So when I didn't hit my heavybag for 2 days my hand still hurt.
Is this bad for my bones? Should I take it easier by punching less hard? Or should I suck it up till I get used to it? Or is it impossible to get used to it as it's not the same as with knuckles?

I feel like my straight rights and right hooks are pretty hard even if my hand hurts. But I just cant land a hard left hook due to the pain.

-Raf (PS: I'm 16 years old if it matters)
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
47 Posts
1st, NEVER throw a right hook if you're right handed. you're asking to get countered and the worst part is you won't see it coming from that angle. 2nd, wrap your hands properly and you should have these problems no more. Also, different gloves protect the hands differently (i.e. Reyes are great for punchers because the knuckle area is denser and more angled for cutting, windy gloves are like pillows on the hands, etc...)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, and I know throwing a right hook exposes your liver but I can throw my hooks almost as fast as I can throw my straights so I don't see how a right hook is so bad while a straight right so good.
Anyway since I take your advice I traded right hook for uppercut, but that's not really evident to throw on the heavybag...

And about the pain in my hands: I never wrapped my hands cause I tought leather boxing gloves were enough, going to buy some wraps soon now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just gloves is not enough. You always wrap your hands before training. If you hurt your hands, you're screwed, so you must take total care of them.

And whether you can throw a right hook as fast as a straight or not doesn't matter much at this point. If you're just starting, there's a good chance you may not be throwing it correctly, or you don't know the best situation to use it. In my opinion you're best bet is to start with your simple combos involving the jab, right straight and left hook, then work your way up to more advanced punches/combos.

And again, always wrap your hands. Also, what kind of gloves do you have. I know you said Everlast but any more details you can give? If it's the cheap everlast ones you can buy in any sports authority or sports store, they probably aren't offering the best amount of protection.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
if your hands are sore, you should take a week off and let them rest. Go out and get yourself some handwraps, and take a look at my handwrapping tutorial:
http://www.boxingforum.com/training-nutrition/1024-wrapping-your-hands-how.html

After you do that, you really should consider getting yourself a pair of quality gloves. It makes a big difference in protection. If your on a limited budget, let me know what your working with and I'll find you a good solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea about that, I have wraps since last week and havent felt pain in my hands since so don't worry...

Although I now (since few days ago) experience pain in my shoulder blades somewhere in the middle. The pain is the worst when I throw a right hook. Left hook and straight right are lesser pain and on Jab I don't feel a thing.
Has anyone else experienced this and do you know what perhaps could have caused it?
Should I perhaps go easier on the heavybag? (then its less fun to hit tho :p)

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Is it the back of your shoulder in the muscle or the front, or the side? Is it in the bone or the muscle?
Could be a strain. I did it before in my left shoulder. Only lasted a few days, but I waited a week before returning to action. This sometimes happens, as it did with me, if you dont warm up properly. Make sure you have a good sweat going before working the heavy bag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure if its the muscle or bone, I don't know how you feel the difference... But I'm guessing the muscle tho.

Also warm up properly and have enough sweat. What exactly do you mean?
I do 140 pushups (in sets of 20) and 400 crunches (in sets of 50) before hitting the heavybag. But I don't stretch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts