Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys
I thought that i would bring to your attention of a very very good Super Featherweight / Lightweight prospect for the future , "Cool" Willie Kickett . I have heard alot about this guy but now i have been able to see what everyone is talking about . You have to watch this guy to appreciate what potential he has . Very slick ,great footwork , lightning fast ( offence and defence ) a good chin ( if you can hit it ) and great power.
See what you guys think ....

YouTube - William Kickett "Aussie Boxing Prospect"

YouTube - WILLIAM KICKETT 6th Pro Fight

YouTube - WILLIAM KICKETT COOL WILLIE

YouTube - WILLIAM KICKETT 7th PRO FIGHT

He is trained by Craig Christian at Harry's Gym in Perth who also trains the likes of Daniel Dawson ( Middleweight 29w 0l 20 K.O.) , and Chris John ( WBA Featherweight Champion 40w 0l 1d 21K.O.)
I know he has only had a handful of pro fights , and he is only 20 years old , and he hasnt really fought any real strong opposition , but you can see if this kid keeps going in the right direction he is going to be a champion.
This young Aboriginal kid has the ability to be bigger and better than Mundine ( Sr and Jr ) and Lionel Rose.

Remember the name !!!
Cheers:D

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Looks good :) But i will have to wait and see before i say he will be a future champ. I remember when i was sure Fransisco Bojado would be a world champion but lets just say that did not happen.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah very promising . I forgot to mention in the original post to that his ametuer record was 88 fights 2 looses 74 K.O's ... great K.O. ratio for an ametuer. And holds the Australian Super Featherweight title ATM
Once he starts fighting some of the tough Filipino fighters we will know where he is at .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant wait to see how he goes . Craig Christian ( trainer ) has nothing but praise for Willie . I read in one article that just over a year ago after he started boxing again after having a break , he was over weight by quite a few kilo's . Craig said to him he may as well train with Chris John , to see what it was like to train with a world champion. Apparently he ended sparring with Chris , but Craig asked him to Spar south paw seeing Chris had a fight against one coming up . Even then after months out of boxing , fighting opposite to what he has ever done , he was landing loads of good shots on a Featherweight champion . Impressive !
This kid has definitely got the goods . Johnny Lewis went as far as saying that a boxer with the ability of Willie only comes along every 30 - 40 years . Big wraps coming from a guy that has trained so many world champions . He is not involved at all with Willie so there was no bias there , he has just been very impressed at what he has seen .

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Mat Gillam said:
I cant wait to see how he goes . Craig Christian ( trainer ) has nothing but praise for Willie . I read in one article that just over a year ago after he started boxing again after having a break , he was over weight by quite a few kilo's . Craig said to him he may as well train with Chris John , to see what it was like to train with a world champion. Apparently he ended sparring with Chris , but Craig asked him to Spar south paw seeing Chris had a fight against one coming up . Even then after months out of boxing , fighting opposite to what he has ever done , he was landing loads of good shots on a Featherweight champion . Impressive !
This kid has definitely got the goods . Johnny Lewis went as far as saying that a boxer with the ability of Willie only comes along every 30 - 40 years . Big wraps coming from a guy that has trained so many world champions . He is not involved at all with Willie so there was no bias there , he has just been very impressed at what he has seen .
Brutus, if he faired well against Chris John that says A LOT!!! You definitely have my interests perked up, and I will try to get some hard information about him to post here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Brutus, if he faired well against Chris John that says A LOT!!! You definitely have my interests perked up, and I will try to get some hard information about him to post here.
Yeah thats what i thought . Chris John is a machine . Sparring him south paw as well ... Have a look what you can dig up , they are pushing him through pretty quick , fighting every few weeks to get his record up by the looks of it .
I dont give many boxers big wraps until they have proved themselves more internationally , but something special here I think for sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LeedsLad said:
Shame hes an Aussie eh:laugh: Just playin bro, can't check out the vids now but i will do when im home later;)
Yeah ...its a pity he is Aussie , because now he is going to have a harder run to the top because everyone will be scared to fight him !! ... ha ha ha ... it will be ok , I can see him getting picked up by Goldenboy Promotions soon ...and hopefully not Don King !
Under the guidance of someone like Sugar Shane or Oscar ..he could go anywhere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is another article on Willie Kickett from 27th Jan 2008 . I thought some of you may be interested on how he is going.
Cheers

DEEP in the Indonesian jungle of Banyuwangi sits the old-school training camp where Willie Kickett, the Aboriginal boxer touted as Australia's next legitimate world champion, has been secretly training.

No television, cold showers, basic diet and little contact with the outside world. These are the staples of Camp Kickett, located a one-hour speed boat ride from Bali on the east coast of the Indonesian mainland Java. This the primitive setting in which Kickett has been fine-tuning his magical pair of hands.

It's a far cry from the Perth pub where Kickett's trainer Craig Christian first discovered him, a raw teenager all glazed eyes and fast fists who would fight anyone who dared to throw out a challenge.
These days the only challenges Kickett confronts are focus and discipline, making sure he walks a straight line in preparation for his fight in the Philippines on Saturday.

The 6am starts keep him honest. A run through the jungle, then to the pads, abdominal work, skipping; a thorough two-hour examination in stifling humidity.

"It's been awesome, really tough but the perfect kind of preparation, I hope,'' Kickett said.

"It's not like home over here, in the jungle it's quiet and good for training.

"Then in the city it's really busy.''

Kickett and the man he serves as a sparring partner for, WBA featherweight world champion Chris John, lived the simple life in basic jungle huts from just after Christmas until last Monday.

Two-hour sessions in the morning were followed by another two hours from 4pm. Five, sometimes six days a week.

The pair then switched camps to Jakarta, where they spent four days last week sparring in preparation for John's title defence last night.

Kickett's next showdown comes against Romeo Jakosalem in Cebu City in the Philippines next Saturday. Christian is confident.

"It's been great for Willie to get away from his comfort zone and really experience a totally different culture,'' Christian said.

"He's been working super hard, he's now very fit and I'm expecting him to perform strong next weekend.

"We flew to Bali just after Christmas and then caught a boat over from there to Banyuwangi, trained there for three weeks and now we're in Jakarta.

"We're working towards big things for Willie, we want to try and get him a world title shot in the next couple of years.''

Johnny Lewis has labelled Kickett "the bright light of Australian boxing'', a sublimely talented fighter who can switch stance, throw knockout punches, stand and trade or evade with his rhythmical feet.

When a boxing eye like Lewis says you've got it, you take the tip. This won't be the last time you read about Willie Kickett.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts