Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And for the twentieth time, or however many times it's been that I've seen it, it broke my heart. I understand where Richard Steele was coming from, but at the same time, I can't see not judging the situation based on the context of how much time was left in the fight and the likely scenario had he let it finish. There was no way that Chavez was going to land another punch of Taylor unless he ran across the ring and hit him a couple seconds after the bell. There's definitely no doubt that Meldrick was up by the count of five, that he looked at Steele and nodded (before being distracted by his corner), and that Steele didn't seem to ask him anything that would have commanded a verbal response. It still bums me out. Still an incredible fight by both guys. While I'm on this fight, it really bothered me how the broadcasting team of Lampley, Merchant, and Ray Leonard along with Lederman were so enamoured with Meldrick's performance that they didn't even seem to notice any of the big shots that J.C. was landing throughout the fight. It was really unprofessional. It took them forever and a day to acknowledge Taylor's swelling and shaky legs in the last few rounds. I've definitely never seen another fight like this and I've also never witnessed a group of commentators so oblivious.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
And for the twentieth time, or however many times it's been that I've seen it, it broke my heart. I understand where Richard Steele was coming from, but at the same time, I can't see not judging the situation based on the context of how much time was left in the fight and the likely scenario had he let it finish. There was no way that Chavez was going to land another punch of Taylor unless he ran across the ring and hit him a couple seconds after the bell. There's definitely no doubt that Meldrick was up by the count of five, that he looked at Steele and nodded (before being distracted by his corner), and that Steele didn't seem to ask him anything that would have commanded a verbal response. It still bums me out. Still an incredible fight by both guys. While I'm on this fight, it really bothered me how the broadcasting team of Lampley, Merchant, and Ray Leonard along with Lederman were so enamoured with Meldrick's performance that they didn't even seem to notice any of the big shots that J.C. was landing throughout the fight. It was really unprofessional. It took them forever and a day to acknowledge Taylor's swelling and shaky legs in the last few rounds. I've definitely never seen another fight like this and I've also never witnessed a group of commentators so oblivious.
That is true, Richard Steele is notorious for early stoppages and it's not just from this fight. Its just sad how much that fight took out of Taylor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My dad is a huge Julio Cesar Chavez fan. He has a lot of his fights. I saw the fight myself. And it was a great fight. It's sad what became of Taylor afterwards. It breaks my heart to see him stutter and struggle in life. The fight ruined him. It's hard to say if Steele was right or wrong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looking at the context he was a mile ahead with less than 5 seconds left he should have allowed it to continue.

Some referees do not use common sence and just the book thats thrown at them a bit of both would be nice.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Taylor deserved the victory because he would have made money being the unified champ and he wouldn't be fighting today. But I don't think we can blame Steele. He did what he thought was right and his only concern was to protect Meldrick regardless of the time.

·
Banned
145 Posts
It was a great fight to watch but i never liked the stoppage, Taylor did deserve that victory.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I sympathize with Steele here. Taylor looked a bit disorientated when he got up, and at the end of the day i don't think the time left in the fight should influence a referee's decision to stop the bout.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I sympathize with Steele here. Taylor looked a bit disorientated when he got up, and at the end of the day i don't think the time left in the fight should influence a referee's decision to stop the bout.
i have to agree there, Steele had a man in front of him that was hurt, the clock isn't a factor when it comes to stopping a bout.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i have to agree there, Steele had a man in front of him that was hurt, the clock isn't a factor when it comes to stopping a bout.
this is true. i said he should've held on for dear life earlier, but that's easier said than done when you have well conditioned athlete laying into you. those last few seconds was a good time to take a knee though.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
You are absolutley right!:thumbsup: If you watch it, Steele clearly asks Taylor to take a step toward him and Taylor just gives him the deer in headlights look. It should not matter what time is left on the clock, if you can't continue, the fight needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
249 Posts

"at the end of the day i don't think the time left in the fight should influence a referee's decision to stop the bout"

Of course it should, if there was a minute left Taylor would have got hurt in the 2seconds or maybe even second Chavez had left what more damage can be done that was not already? Taylor would have held or ran.

And Steele had over 1,000 bouts under his belt by 1990 so he knew how to time 3min to the second.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I don't agree with that all. Taylor got knocked down. Got up before the count. Didn't wobble or stumble. And when the ref asked if he could continue he nodded yes. He everything a fighter is suppose to do when they get knocked down. And Steele still stopped it. A Championship, PPV fight that was in the 12th round. Steele fukked up. And in the process fukked up Taylor's life. Fukk Steele.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok woulda shoulda coulda
I Love JCC. However he should have let the fight go on.
But if Chavez would have run across the ring and punched him one more time (wether it was before or after the bell) how much damage would it have caused?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It was a great fight to watch but i never liked the stoppage, Taylor did deserve that victory.
Then

Im having flashbacks of TommyGunn here. :laugh:

By the way, I agree with Leeds. I always viewd Julio's KO win over Meldrick Taylor as the equivalent to a 3 point shot at the last millisecond of a basketball game. He knocked him out in due time. That's what he was supposed to do going into the final round and Julio did it.

It was a great fight though.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Then

Im having flashbacks of TommyGunn here. :laugh:

By the way, I agree with Leeds. I always viewd Julio's KO win over Meldrick Taylor as the equivalent to a 3 point shot at the last millisecond of a basketball game. He knocked him out in due time. That's what he was supposed to do going into the final round and Julio did it.

It was a great fight though.
Who's that clown? I don't recall him

·
Registered
326 Posts
it really bothered me how the broadcasting team of Lampley, Merchant, and Ray Leonard along with Lederman were so enamoured with Meldrick's performance that they didn't even seem to notice any of the big shots that J.C. was landing throughout the fight. It was really unprofessional.

and casual boxing fans believe all those comments and become biased or convinced, same with lederman cards, he is a joke and you see casual fans repeating what they see on his cards even when they are wrong

what a joke

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
An old member that used to argue with himself and others on a daily basis.
An old member who use to agree with himself cuz nobody else would is more like it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts