Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kelly Pavlik- 1 dimensional over-rated hype job.

once upon a time people were saying pavlik would destroy b-hop and then calzaghe...

well.... they couldn't of been more wrong.

it was the same hopkins, the same weight, the same fighter... pavlik got schooled by the same fighter who faked a low blow against calzaghe, the same fighter that looked 53 against calzaghe... the same fighter calzaghe won an SD over...

kelly needs to go back to fighting at middleweight, and the gary locketts of this world... he's no way near the level of b-hop, jones and calzaghe.... a very poor performance in his biggest match up, the pressure got to him and he was exposed for the hype job he is

jack Loew needs a new prodigy... because pavliks done for sure... he is purely B-class i've said it all along. :laugh:

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
some harsh words there, I don't think a guy whos 34-1 with 30 Ko is overrated, he just got beat by the better man that night. This was not the same Bernard we saw fight Cal IMO he came out with a better gameplan and he knew what Pav didnt have the punch output Cal brought. Pavlik is still one of the best p4p out IMO maybe just not as high as I had him previously. He is in no way overrated.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

once upon a time people were saying pavlik would destroy b-hop and then calzaghe...

it was the same hopkins, the same weight, the same fighter... pavlik got schooled by the same fighter who faked a low blow against calzaghe, the same fighter that looked 53 against calzaghe... the same fighter calzaghe won an SD over...

kelly needs to go back to fighting at middleweight, and the gary locketts of this world... he's no way near the level of b-hop, jones and calzaghe.... a very poor performance in his biggest match up, the pressure got to him and he was exposed for the hype job he is

jack Loew needs a new prodigy... because pavliks done for sure... he is purely B-class i've said it all along. :laugh:
The Bernard Hopkins that was in the ring with Pavlik was the REAL Bernard. If he'd been in the fight with Calzaghe, Joe wouldnt have got through that first round. Pavlik is what he is a hard hitting brawler,
Nard is a superb technition. No disrespect to Kelly Pavlik he did his best. If Joe thinks he's overrated let him step up and take him on.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Everyone knows Pavlik was over-rated now :rolleyes:. I thought Hopkins would beat him, and I've always thought Calzaghe would beat him, but I never thought that he was that over-hyped. At Middleweight he will still be near unbeatable, and I still think he beats Abraham.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Your post is nothing more than rubbish.

This was the wrong fight at the wrong time for Pavlik, but he's not B-class and he's not done. Hell, it's probably the wrong fight for him at any point in his career. He's not an all-time great like Hopkins and that was proven in spades, but he still has a future and can still do big things. Styles make fights. Still, I thought Pavlik's style would actually be on display. It really wasn't though. He looked as though he had given up the ghost. He was basically a shell of himself.

Pavlik could have done what Hopkins did in racking up 20 title defense against a mostly weak list of mandatories as a middleweight, but instead he moved up and took on a challenge and he suffered a tough loss for his troubles. I'd rather him take a loss fighting the best then stay undefeated never risking his record.

G

·

*cough* Calzaghe fan *cough*

Give me a break man. The guy loses his first fight, to a legend, at a weight he's never fought before (and he shouldnt have fought at in hindsight) and you're going to bury him? He's unbeatable at 160 I believe, even Hopkins agrees with that. He'll go back down, fight Marco Antonio Rubio, and when he wins that fight he'll get his shot at Arthur Abraham and then we'll see where Pavlik stands. Kelly is a great fighter.......at 160. He made a mistake, get over it. One loss doesn't define his career. Don't bury the guy just because you feel the need to pump up Calzaghe.

G

·
All bullshitt aside, of course he was overrated. Alot of experts expected him to KO Hopkins, I even thought he might myself at one stage before I seen sense. The Calzaghe fans have had to listen to bullshitt that he was running scared from Pavlik. Calzaghe is a class above, it's as simple as that.

Pavlik needs to stay down at 160 and focus on a fight with Abraham, he's still a good fighter but this defeat was crushing. I'm not sure he beats Abraham.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Your post is nothing more than rubbish.

This was the wrong fight at the wrong time for Pavlik, but he's not B-class and he's not done. Hell, it's probably the wrong fight for him at any point in his career. He's not an all-time great like Hopkins and that was proven in spades, but he still has a future and can still do big things. Styles make fights. Still, I thought Pavlik's style would actually be on display. It really wasn't though. He looked as though he had given up the ghost. He was basically a shell of himself.

Pavlik could have done what Hopkins did in racking up 20 title defense against a mostly weak list of mandatories as a middleweight, but instead he moved up and took on a challenge and he suffered a tough loss for his troubles. I'd rather him take a loss fighting the best then stay undefeated never risking his record.
Exactly. I'd even say at this point Pavlik has fought better opposition then Calzaghe and he's beaten most. Once Jones beats Cal :D, what will be said then?

G

·
All bullshitt aside, of course he was overrated. Alot of experts expected him to KO Hopkins, I even thought he might myself at one stage before I seen sense. The Calzaghe fans have had to listen to bullshitt that he was running scared from Pavlik. Calzaghe is a class above, it's as simple as that.

Pavlik needs to stay down at 160 and focus on a fight with Abraham, he's still a good fighter but this defeat was crushing. I'm not sure he beats Abraham.
I really don't agree that this loss is crushing. If this fight was at 160 it'd be a disastrous loss but it wasn't. Pavlik is still the Middleweight champion and other than Arthur Abraham, he really has no chance of losing those titles.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Very true. It's a tough quandary being that there are few fights there, but he doesn't seem to have any better options. He's still a solid fighter, he just got completely out thought, outclassed, out hustled, and respected Hopkins way too much. He'll never be a tactically sound boxer, though, and nothing is a sure thing at this point. I have reservations about the fight against Abraham, but I have to believe in my guy that he will come back harder and right the ship. Fights against guys like Green, Ward, and Dirrell worry me quite a bit.

G

·
Exactly. I'd even say at this point Pavlik has fought better opposition then Calzaghe and he's beaten most. Once Jones beats Cal :D, what will be said then?
I like Kelly but this is way off the mark.

I really don't agree that this loss is crushing. If this fight was at 160 it'd be a disastrous loss but it wasn't. Pavlik is still the Middleweight champion and other than Arthur Abraham, he really has no chance of losing those titles.
It's all down to Pavlik how crushing this is. I agree with the rest of your post.

Very true. It's a tough quandary being that there are few fights there, but he doesn't seem to have any better options. He's still a solid fighter, he just got completely out thought, outclassed, out hustled, and respected Hopkins way too much. He'll never be a tactically sound boxer, though, and nothing is a sure thing at this point. I have reservations about the fight against Abraham, but I have to believe in my guy that he will come back harder and right the ship. Fights against guys like Green, Ward, and Dirrell worry me quite a bit.
The sad thing is if he beat Hopkins he wouldn't have gained much respect. It was just unfortunate that this was the only fight available. I'll be rooting for him all the way.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The Bernard Hopkins that was in the ring with Pavlik was the REAL Bernard. If he'd been in the fight with Calzaghe, Joe wouldnt have got through that first round. Pavlik is what he is a hard hitting brawler,
Nard is a superb technition. No disrespect to Kelly Pavlik he did his best. If Joe thinks he's overrated let him step up and take him on.
C.J you are spot on buddy.

let me just say this. I have not watched the replay yet and just got back from A.C. last night but the way Bernard fought Saturday was phenomenal. Well the evening started out great for me. When I left Bally's to walk to the boardwalk hall I just happened to have left the same exact time Kelly and his crew left the hotel as well and ended up walking beside them down to the area which was cool.

As far as the fight, Kelly was obviously very cautious coming out in the first minute but from what I saw, cautious turned to being straight up temid as soon as he felt Bernards power. He clearly punched quite a bit harder then Taylor. I don't know how it came across on tv, but Kelly was taking monster combo's and the fact he didn't go down in the fight says alot about his chin and recooperating skills imo. Even after the first couple of rounds I was still thought Bernard could slow down and Kelly could start showing signs of life but those thoughts quickly died. IN the 5th round I leaned over to my brother and said if you'd a told me Bernard was 30 years old, I'd believe you. he looked that good. Kelly needed a knock out by the 8th round and I knew there was no chance for that by then, I just don't think he was expecting that kind of a perfomance from b-hop...but trust me, I'm not trying to make excuses, the better man clearly won. hey you win some and you lose some. Kelly can still hang with anyone as long as it's at 160.

B-hop put on one hell of a show, and all the fans have alot to cheer about. I was disappointed but you can bet your ass I clapped for Bernard when he was awarded the victory. he came to fight, not to run. he could of ran the last 2 or 3 rounds, but he didn't. in the 12th he went for the knock out and I was shocked. I give Hopkins all the credit in the world. Even though I think there was something wrong with Kelly. I don't think it was the weight issue, it just didn't seem like his mind was 100% into the fight saturday. not saying it would of mattered anyway, Bernard had his number. With all the 4,5 and even 6 punch combo's being thrown, I didn't even realize he was holding all that much. again, he put on a hell of a show.

I wanna see kelly fight at 160 for as long as he can, and he destroys Rubio in 5 if they fight based on what I saw from him sat aswell. If he Fights Abraham in A.C. I'm there. would be a great fight.....Damn I still can't believe the Hopkins that showed up on saturday. he was entertaining. just sucks it was at the expense of kelly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Funny how the 'I knew...' threads all come out after the loss. Pavlik is still the best middleweight in the world, he was just beaten by a better man. No way is he a B-Class fighter.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Pavlik is a beast at 160. he should stay there as long as he can physically make weight. Abraham gives him a great fight at 160. but for now that's about it IMO. Rubio gets mangled if they fight. yes hbo was hypeing Kelly up but he is by no means a bad fighter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It seems to me that Kelly wasnt expecting and prepared for this. He was surprised and shocked by Bernard since rd 1. He was ready for an easy fight with an old dude, and after rd 1, when he found that that wasnt the case at all, he wasnt prepared to respond.

This may sound retarded, but i think that if they fight again (and i know it will never happen) the outcome would be very different, theres a good chance Hopkins would still win, but not like this.

G

·
It seems to me that Kelly wasnt expecting and prepared for this. He was surprised and shocked by Bernard since rd 1. He was ready for an easy fight with an old dude, and after rd 1, when he found that that wasnt the case at all, he wasnt prepared to respond.

This may sound retarded, but i think that if they fight again (and i know it will never happen) the outcome would be very different, theres a good chance Hopkins would still win, but not like this.
I disagree. Pavlik was as ready as he'll ever be. People have their limits and Pavlik's body can't handle 170. He's just not as versatile as some fighters who can move up and down. It was semi-evident when he moved to 166 for Taylor II where he was visibly slower. At 170 it was like he was walking in sand and he had wrist weights on. He just wasn't made for that weight.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I'm going to be as unbiased as I can about this. So only two things I can say with most certainty:

1) Pavlik does not carry the weight well at Light Heavyweight. He went from a slow fighter to a slower fighter. He also did not look as physically strong as Bernard. The way Bernard could easily move him backwards with punches was almost alarming.

2) His opponents to date prior to the Hopkins fight seem to have been tailor made for a guy like him to beat and look good against. Tapes should be studied of all the fights he went the distance in. I'm sure there will be a lot of evidence in his inability to find and destroy targets that move side to side and protect themselves at all times.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I disagree. Pavlik was as ready as he'll ever be. People have their limits and Pavlik's body can't handle 170. He's just not as versatile as some fighters who can move up and down. It was semi-evident when he moved to 166 for Taylor II where he was visibly slower. At 170 it was like he was walking in sand and he had wrist weights on. He just wasn't made for that weight.
I just think that Pavlik isnt as bad as he looked on saturday and Hopkins, at 43, isnt as good as he looked on saturday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts