Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I hit pretty fast and I have good power. But then I look at RJJ back in the day and I feel insignificant.

I know its impossible to obtain that kind of speed but if anybody has good drills or exercises for building speed, please share.

The only thing I'm using right now is Shadow Boxing with dumbells

Please Share

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Shadowboxing with weights is good. Well you can work on your speed with the heavybag. Use a light heavybag and try not to make it move too much. You'll have to throw fast and sharp punches to stop its momentum. Try to "explode" for 10 seconds straight several times a round but I guess you already do it. Use heavy gloves with wristweights if you have some and just keep on training man.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Where 18oz gloves with wrist weights on. Then the 16 and 12oz gloves will feel like feathers, and shadow boxing with just your wraps on will be really impressive.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Put 2 dumbells on the ground shoulder width apart. put your hands on the dumbbells and get in a pushup position. Go down and up and then pull one dumbell to your chest. Go up and down, pull the other one to your chest. Eventually this will dramatically improve your pulling back speed. As far as punching speed, You can do this with weights actually, Put about 100 pounds on a bench press. And do it as many times as you can as fast as you can ( withouth straining )

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
You could also try one of the shadow boxing resistance bands. Get a slightly heavier resistance band and make sure you throw your punches as fast as you can. Building up those fat twitch fibers is what you want and doing excercises at high speed will help with that. You just want to make sure its not too much resistance, and make sure you're properly warmed up to prevent injury

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.