Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Right Now Im At 180pounds (Pure Fat) And Im Trying To Get Into Boxing and The Sport Takes Up Alot Of Stamina Which I Don't Have. I Run About 2K Every Morning To The YMCA( I Would Run Longer But Thats How Far The YMCA Is From Me Lol) ... Any Tips On How To Try To Bring The Weight Down And Work On Stamina? ..

And I Heard Bench Pressing Slows Down Your Punches (Say It With Me At The Same Time.. WTF?) .. Is That True?...

·
Haye Ducked Me Too
515 Posts
You need to work on your cardio. Maybe the treadmill or stair climber. Build your cardio and then start with weights. If yu are looking to get cut at 180 start with light weights to tone yourself. If you are looking to gain muscle mass and weight use heavy weights with less reps. Stamina comes from your heart so cardio is your first main step. the lower your heart rate at max workout the higher stamina. Also the bench pressing is probably a myth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Also I Was Wondering, When Is The Best Time To Run A Few K's Outside, I Heard Its Early In The Mourning And Some Say A Few Hours Before Going To Sleep, Opinions?..

And Please Give Me An Exact Time, And How Much Hours Of Sleep Is Actually Required?..

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Youshould be trying to get at least 8 hours sleep every day. If you really push it hard, than more than 8 hours.

To lose the fat you need to burn more calories than your taking in. Eat fewer calories, drink a glass of water before meals, and do some high intensity cardio work before lifting or instead of lifting, several days a week. (Jump rope, Cycle, treadmill, running, sprints)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vitali Rules said:
You need to work on your cardio. Maybe the treadmill or stair climber. Build your cardio and then start with weights. If yu are looking to get cut at 180 start with light weights to tone yourself. If you are looking to gain muscle mass and weight use heavy weights with less reps. Stamina comes from your heart so cardio is your first main step. the lower your heart rate at max workout the higher stamina. Also the bench pressing is probably a myth.

By Light Weights To Tone Myself, Exactly How Light Do You Mean? 15's? 20's? .. And How Many Reps.. And How Many During Each Rep? .. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
20-30lbs is good, and doing a lot of it really fast is good, but IMO you are better off with out lifting weights. Resistance bands and stuff like that IMO is the way to go. Captain knows more about this stuff than I do, so his stuff is probably a little more valid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ima Start At 20's .. How Much Reps Would You Recommend? And How Much Each Rep? ... And also how Long of a break do you take between each reps? .. 30seconds? 1 minute? ..

Also Ive just purched Mexican handwraps.. I had the century ones but they were only 108 and didnt cover my wrist up enough, So ive gotten the mexican ones.. Was it a mistake that I bought mexican style handwraps? ...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
30 sec between each rep is proper healing time, if your 180 pounds, you should be able to life 20 pounds at least 20 times with each arm until it starts to burn, what i do is, i life 25 pound dumbbells until it starts to burn in the bicep, then i make myself do 10 more. your muscle will not get any toner until you get that burning sensation going, that is actually the muscle at work. SO instead of quiting when it burns, think to yourself, alright, finally, now its really working. somedays i just do biceps and ill do 5 sets of about 20 to 30 reps, depends on how i fell. this is starting with a 35 pound dumbell, and going down 5 pounds each rep , and once i get to 20, i got back up to 25 then 30. so i start out with 35, go to 30, go to 25, back up to 30 and back up to 35.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fartlek Training.

Have you heard of fartlek training,this is a must for stamina, endurance, and a killer for weightloss.

i take my clients doing this and it has done wonders,

well you have obviosly heard of jog a lampost sprint a lampost?

This type of training is best suited, walk, jog, run and keep repeating this process. your heart rate trys to cope with 3 variable levels throughout the workout.

It is better to do beat running with the process of fartlek training.

Beat running is all about footwork, walk 15 beats, jog 15 beats, run 15 beats, now this is great on sand, always count your foot that is your lead foot when fighting everytime it hits the sand that= 1 beat.
you can vary intensity from 15 beats to 25 beats for endurance or for fat burning bring beats down to say 5 or 7.

HOPE THIS HELPS SORRY ITS LONG..... LEE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Already been there

Hey, I too was in your shoes. I was 275 lbs. The main thing that I learned how to lose weight was not just working out, but eating right. You could work out the whole day but if you eat crappy, that's how you are going to look.

Here's my simple plan that keeps me fit and lets me maintain my muscle mass:

Buy a George Foreman Grill (and use it!)
Drink a protein shake 2 times a day (with skim or 1% milk)
Eat chicken cooked with the Foreman (not KFC, too much fat/carbs)
Stick with fruit and vegetable with low GI count (no bananas)
Turkey also does the job
Stay away from too much sugar
Eat 6 small meals a day then 3 regular meals

Also, like stated before, to lose weight, bust out the cardio. Weight lifting is good, but you will gain some weight with the new muscle, like I have. Muscle weighs more then fat, so if you do lift and gain a little, don't get discouraged.

Take it from someone who has (and kind of still is) been there. Losing weight takes time, and if you're like me, fighting genetics, it takes a lot of heart and commitment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts