Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was one of those kids who's parents kept them from doing too aggressive of sports (I wanted to box more then play football) I finally am out of college for now, and have spare time.

For the 2 months I've been working out and training my body as I have the time and decided since I no longer have to worry about my parents being 20 now.

Anyways to the point, I'm 5'7 110lbs and have been working out daily.. Mostly consisting of roadwork and bodyweight exercise.I do a 1 mile jog mixing with sprinting,I swap between a normal jog and on my toes. I also normally do 500 pushups/situps/crunches and more daily but make sure not to overwork myself as I do heavy lifting at work.

I've studied a bit on boxing and starting to think by next month I'll be ready to find myself a gym and taking things seriously. I just wanted to make sure I am committed first by doing the training on my own will.

I just am mostly curious if I've been doing things alright? I have read up on boxing a bit and think its time to start seeing a trainer if I want to pursue boxing more seriously.

I'm mostly looking for more advice tell I talk to a trainer and see what they suggest and want me to do.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was one of those kids who's parents kept them from doing too aggressive of sports (I wanted to box more then play football) I finally am out of college for now, and have spare time.

For the 2 months I've been working out and training my body as I have the time and decided since I no longer have to worry about my parents being 20 now.

Anyways to the point, I'm 5'7 110lbs and have been working out daily.. Mostly consisting of roadwork and bodyweight exercise.I do a 1 mile jog mixing with sprinting,I swap between a normal jog and on my toes. I also normally do 500 pushups/situps/crunches and more daily but make sure not to overwork myself as I do heavy lifting at work.

I've studied a bit on boxing and starting to think by next month I'll be ready to find myself a gym and taking things seriously. I just wanted to make sure I am committed first by doing the training on my own will.

I just am mostly curious if I've been doing things alright? I have read up on boxing a bit and think its time to start seeing a trainer if I want to pursue boxing more seriously.

I'm mostly looking for more advice tell I talk to a trainer and see what they suggest and want me to do.
Looks like your on the right track, also good weight for your height. Start doing a lot more cardio than you have been over the next month while your thinking of joining that gym. Try 3 miles. Keep on doing lots of sprints like you have been.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

Whoa. 20 years old and 110 pounds. Wow. I used to be that weight i think i went a little higher. I'm about your weight and i struggled to gain weight. Last time i checked i was 118. Try to gain more weight being that you're tall for your height i used to be 108 5'7" and its not really a healthy weight. You're underweight and certain things i doubt you wanna have to deal with underweight. Such as erectile dysfunction lol had to get it out there cause now i know you're definitely gonna eat 5 steaks a day everyday. Once i heard that i was like **** that I'm eating more and drinking more. Everything you need to know has been said basically. from these two posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current goal weight is adding on 5 more lbs.. I eat a ton already if I don't I don't have the energy to work out. I also dont have those kinda problems.. I'm atleast happy with myself as I'm increasing the workout and not having any trouble doing so, sure its sometimes exhausting but nowhere near what it used to be for me.

I know it might sound silly to some, but I want to push as hard as I can and see if maybe I might have a future past amature boxing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My current goal weight is adding on 5 more lbs.. I eat a ton already if I don't I don't have the energy to work out. I also dont have those kinda problems.. I'm atleast happy with myself as I'm increasing the workout and not having any trouble doing so, sure its sometimes exhausting but nowhere near what it used to be for me.

I know it might sound silly to some
, but I want to push as hard as I can and see if maybe I might have a future past amature boxing.
Doesn't sound silly to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for having natural fighting talent, I doubt I've got that so going to make up for it with training.

I think I'm doing well I have been pushing myself harder. I'm upto 2000 now on my basic daily (I take two days off to let my body rest) body weight workout added one pound of my 5lbs goal. I'm pleased with these results and hope to keep growing at a good rate.. Sure it is a lot of work but I just get some headphones on and find that the workout is not as hard as people make it out to be, it just takes willpower and dedication. (I have no life :laugh: so figure I'll work out to kill time anyways)

I think at start of July I'm going to go check out the local boxing gyms.

I don't think any trainer would mind me workout out like this at my weight before even meeting them, I don't plan on having *huge* muscles I just think I could do with having a little extra strength and weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I'm working on the 3 mile slowly working my way up on it that is harder on me then the weight training. Having to only do the one mile daily and work it up to 2 on my days off as it takes me a little longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'd need to talk to a trainer about this but I'm ambidextrous I prefer my left for daily things so I call myself left handed but I found hitting the bag is the same for either hand I have no real dominate hand.. I'm guessing it would be a good thing so I'm taking it I should mention this to the trainer early on so he can decide what to do on such and help me find what works for me in the ring?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Speak to your trainer. Hagler was the same way, but he chose to mainly fight and train southpaw because it's harder to fight.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I'd suggest choosing southpaw because you'll have more advantages but never stop training orthodox. Switch it. You may need both in the future if you get real serious. However I do have one question, When did you realize you were ambidextious? And what were you before that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd suggest choosing southpaw because you'll have more advantages but never stop training orthodox. Switch it. You may need both in the future if you get real serious. However I do have one question, When did you realize you were ambidextious? And what were you before that?
When I was younger I'd say around the age of like 5-6 when I started to write and play sports. I'd say that I don't mind using the other hand and it isn't an issue but just outta habit.

Btw I'm in OKC do you have a suggestion for a good Gym? I saw the list and kinda would prefer to go by word of mouth a little as most people I know hear the words "Boxing Gym" and look at me like my hair is on fire.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
When I was younger I'd say around the age of like 5-6 when I started to write and play sports. I'd say that I don't mind using the other hand and it isn't an issue but just outta habit.

Btw I'm in OKC do you have a suggestion for a good Gym? I saw the list and kinda would prefer to go by word of mouth a little as most people I know hear the words "Boxing Gym" and look at me like my hair is on fire.
What I would do is look in the phone book and find the address to the gyms and go to them to check them out.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts

And what hand is that?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I mostly use my left, but but I can pick up using my right no problem on most things with little to no practice.
What I would do is hit the heavybag. Whatever stance you naturally use/pick, go on from there. But you are very lucky that you are the way you are. Only a handfull of fighters were like that, Hagler, Cooney, Tyson, and Moorer to name a few.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts