Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to box i would enjoy a good match...gives displicne and makes you stronger physically and mentally.

How can i handle the pain of boxing?
How do boxers handle the pain?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
How old are you and have you ever been punched in the face? TO be completely honest it seems as if you haven't been hit before. I could be wrong. However, the first time you get punched in the face and realize you aren't made of glass it is the best feeling in the world. Adrenaline helps a lot with the pain and the rest is just mental. Don't let fear keep you away from something you want to do. You only live once man so go get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 20

I have been hit in the face before and it hurts when people use to fight me normally i would not fight back.
However once when i did have a fight the adreline was amazing and i could not feel the punches.
However i would fight back now unless the person was a lot lot stronger then me.

How is it the best feeling in the world being punched in the fast.

·
Registered
424 Posts
to be honest the training is much more painful then the actual act of getting punched. I mean, if you get hit with a SOLID punch its going to hurt, but for the most part your adrenaline is so high that if it doesn't put you down, it doesn't hurt for more then a second. after a punch makes contact your already to busy trying to avoid the other punches being thrown, to care about the sting from the last punch.
The training to be a boxer is much more painful, pushing yourself to do those last 10 pushups can be far more painful then most of the punches you will take.

I mean this for sparing and on the amatuer level. as far as pro...im sure a lazy jab hurts.\ let alone a de la hoya left hook.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't worry you're not the only person who worries about that, I was when I started (still am with some people).

Just give it a go and see if you like it it's one of those things you get used to (I hope), a bit like being tackled in rugby it hurts the 1st few times then when you're in a match you're so excited you shrug all the the hardest tackles off.

Don't let pain in your 1st sparring session put you off neither mate if you enjoy it stick with it, you never know you might be better than you think ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok.. not to sound mean or anything, but if you dont think you can handle the pain then its probably not the best sport to take up unless you think you can stickit out and accept the pain for sure.. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
What I meant was that the first time you get punched in the face you realize that you aren't made of glass. It may sting a little or whatever, but thats it. I love it. Also, let me add that there is no better feeling than standing over someone who you just knocked out cold, especially in a fist fight. In regards to boxing, do it. If you like it keep it up, and if you don't give it up.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
What I meant was that the first time you get punched in the face you realize that you aren't made of glass. It may sting a little or whatever, but thats it. I love it. Also, let me add that there is no better feeling than standing over someone who you just knocked out cold, especially in a fist fight. In regards to boxing, do it. If you like it keep it up, and if you don't give it up.
Stealing lines from Green Street there:laugh:

Id just say give it a try, if you dont try things out you'll never know how much you'd enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
The first time I got punched in the face, thats all that was on my mind, and it made the experience sooooooooooo much worse for the rest of the sparring session. But now, I get clocked in the nose and jaw pretty often, and I barely feel most of the shots. I don't know why, but almost everytime someone goes down, its from getting hit on the jaw, for me, the jaw doesn't affect me at all. Your almost better off punching me in the knee. In the pro's where you see the punch stats, and you see that got hit like 300 times out of 700 (well used to, now its more like 20 out of 50), they only truly feel and notice they got hit about 75-100 of those shots. Now of course they feel them the next morning and week, but when your all pumped up, and the adrenalin is flowing, its amazing the shots you can take and barely feel it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly ive only been hit twice in all my sparring with shots that hurt n both were cheap shots one to u no where wit no protection n one when my coach called break dont worry the worst pain is the muscle fatigue when first getting into shape

·
Registered
87 Posts
my perspective

I'm an old guy who uses his head to make decent money. I'm an engineer. My wife and kid rely on my brain for their livelihood. I had a couple concussions playing football and upon joining a boxing gym had to think about these things. I used to get into fist fights regularly as a kid. Got hit sometimes but was too pissed and intent on injuring the other guy to feel it. Boxing hits hurt less, unless somebody really t's off on you. I suggest going into boxing with the similar desires as I did - to achieve a better fitness level, and to acquire better skills with your fists. I work with a very competent, knowledgable trainer who owns the gym where I work out. He knows my goals and has been whipping my ass into shape. Trust me, the training hurts enough. I want to be in condition for 3 good rounds and be able to avoid getting hit, and be able to deliver some damage with my fists. So far, those goals are being met without me getting punched all the time. As my coach says, "I can't teach you how to get hit. I can teach you how to avoid getting hit."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts