Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most sort after corber men in boxing? and do you think there methods would carry well into the 21st century.

People say fighters are better conditioned now but how many times did an overweight Ali complete 15 tough rounds? or fight at Joe Fraziers pace?

·
Banned
100 Posts
The most sort after corber men in boxing? and do you think there methods would carry well into the 21st century.

People say fighters are better conditioned now but how many times did an overweight Ali complete 15 tough rounds? or fight at Joe Fraziers pace?
Eddie Futch trained Riddick Bowe, who had excellent conditioning right up to the day after he won the world title from Evander Holyfield. In truth, I think modern "scientific conditioning" is totally overblown when applied to boxing.

I've never thought Angelo Dundee was a great trainer; a good one certainly, but not a master. There are guys just as good as he was running around today. Eddie Futch was a master. There is arguably no one comparable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Eddie Futch trained Riddick Bowe, who had excellent conditioning right up to the day after he won the world title from Evander Holyfield. In truth, I think modern "scientific conditioning" is totally overblown when applied to boxing.

I've never thought Angelo Dundee was a great trainer; a good one certainly, but not a master. There are guys just as good as he was running around today. Eddie Futch was a master. There is arguably no one comparable.
He certainly got leonard back on track and motivated when he was in trouble and in danger of losing his two biggest fights against hearns (behind on points and friendly taping hearns at the end of rounds when he should of been trying to smash his face in) and hagler (loading up in round 5 and getting caught but most importantly very tired and disponded after round 9).

Badger

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts

Who in their right mind says fighters are better conditioned now? Most of the boxers today are body builders, not fighters.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I just saw Dundee yesterday, and he is thinking of training Hector "Macho" Camacho in his comeback. Camacho is getting his 10th title shot on July 18, 2008 at age 45. If he wins and is serious, Dundee will most likely train him.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Honestly I hope Camacho doesnt come back.. He has nothing left to prove and his style is not compatible with age.. He doesnt have power to rely on, and the things he had best early were speed and reflexes, both might be gone at 45.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Honestly I hope Camacho doesnt come back.. He has nothing left to prove and his style is not compatible with age.. He doesnt have power to rely on, and the things he had best early were speed and reflexes, both might be gone at 45.
I watched him workout yesterday and on Friday, and he doesn't look like the Camacho of 1988 or 1991, that's for sure. He is heavier and his reflexes are pretty much gone. He is still decent defencively, but his legs and such have left him. In sparring he looked like crap, but that was mainly because he was in a with a guy who just turned pro so he let him beat on him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts