Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Alberts and Bernstein of Showtime are already a solid pair, but I also like Teddy Atlas, it's just too bad he typically has to comment on lousy fights on even lousier cards. I may be the only one, but I really like Larry Merchant. Yes, it can be painful and awkward waiting for him to complete a thought, but he usually has something decent to say and he's been involved with the sport for a long, long time so he has a wealth of experience with the all-time greats to draw from. I don't like either of the guys that do Vs boxing, Nick Charles and Wally something, I believe their names are. Lampley has some great calls from time to time, but he's pretty full of himself and seems to get pretty complacent. I can't stand listening to Lennox Lewis repeat the same adjective twelve times to describe one "courageous warrior." Kellerman enunciates and puts too much emphasis on each syllable of everything he says, so that gets annoying. He has some unique commentary to offer and is a good, young boxing mind, but he goes overboard pretty often with hyperbole like when he compared Michael Katsidis to Rocky Marciano. That should never happen. Tessitore and Papa are equally uninteresting to me. Emanuel Steward is pretty good as a third man and obviously, he knows what the fighters are going through having trained some of that past greats and current top names.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
A few commentators here to help ya'll out ;) :thumbsup: Sorry I've probably missed a few but they're here :cool:

Main Commentators
Jim Lampley
Ian Darke
Steve Albert
Adam Smith

Co-Commentators
Larry Merchant
George Foreman
Roy Jones Jr.
Max Kellerman
Emmanuel Steward
Lennox Lewis
Jim Watt
Glenn McCrory
Johnny Nelson
Al Bernstein
Steve Farhood
Jim Gray
Teddy Atlas

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Out of all the third men I seem to think that Emmanuel Steward is the best, even though he's starting to ride fighters' jocks harder now. Foreman is bad, Lennox is worse, the best fighters dont make for good analyst or commentator, they should try Briggs or Mesi. I dont know if HBO is really trying this out but I heard Kellerman might try play for play. I like Merchant way better than Kellerman as lead analyst because he doesnt talk alot and when he does say something its usually interesting or funny (intentionally or not).

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
i think with time kellerman will improve as a commentator. i liked him much better when he was the co-host of fnf.
I find him to be a bit like Johnny Nelson most of the time, always trying to make his views heard above the rest and always undermining people :(

G

·
Gotta love Merchant...he never beats around the bush with Floyd or anything for that matter. It's also funny to see Lewis try and string a few words together.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Kellerman isnt as good as Merchant as an analyst, to tell or describe whats going on in the fight.. Kellerman has alot of knowledge and his comments are good, but Merchant is better than him reading the situation. As for the third man I'd say George Foreman or Roy Jones or maybe Briggs

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Merchant, Lampley and Jones is the best team IMO. Stewart knows his stuff but he sounds like a knows-it-all most of the time and he's too negative about some fighters. Kellerman is good but sometimes he goes overboard. Lewis : "he's bleeding from the nose so he must have been hit there a few times", Foreman : "the referee will be the most important man in the ring tonight after the fighters" = no comment.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I'll go with Jim Lampley, Larry Merchant and Roy Jones Jr. ringside, with Ian Darke, Max Kellerman and Glenn McCrory as the studio pundits ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts