Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Haye was only like ten fights into his career at that time, so I'd like to think his experience would come into play and that his chin isn't as big of a question now, but when it comes to experience, there are none with more in the heavyweight division than James Toney. Toney is such a smooth counter-puncher and won't be a sitting duck. Whether he has the power to hurt Haye, that's the big question for me. I'm sure he'll land some solid shots. In with Macarinelli, Haye didn't have to worry about his defensive abilities because the fight was almost over before it had begun, but there's no way Toney goes out that early, if at all.

G

·
That loss was early in his career and he was poorly conditioned and prepared going into the fight. He had Thompson hurt bad early and almost knocked him out. He punched himself out and Thompson was able to get the stoppage in a fight Haye should have won. He's come a long way since then. Haye will decision Toney.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Toney could still beat any of the heavyweights, including Vlad if you ask me.
I'd love to see him run the table and be the unified champ, but that's an incredible longshot. One thing is for sure, he's got a better chance of doing it than Holyfield, who, at this time last year, was still saying he was going to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yeah but Haye has a glass chin. I COULD see Haye getting stopped, but I don't think he has the balls to fight a veteran like Toney. Nothing against him. I advise him to fight a bum as his first fight at hw.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
in the thompson fight, haye wasn't really showing a glass chin. he got very very tired by going for the ko. carl thompson isn't the best, but he was good and experienced. haye only got ko'd or should i say stopped because he was very tired, couldn't punch and his legs weren't moving. even then, he took some good shots.

to me it seems he can easily make 230. for a naturally 230 pound man to make 200 must have made his chin weaker. he even mentioned he had to go on a 17 week diet to make cruiser at the mormeck fight and it made his legs feel weak.

at heavy i feel his chin may not hold up because obviously they have more power. who out there is fast enough to actually connect to him? wlad is certainly one of them.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
I think JT's right hand he could stun anyone in the heavyweight division if he lands it flush. JT definitely has the skills to destroy Haye...JT will beat Haye if he's in shape once the fight comes off. JT is a counterpunching, defensive genius.

·
Registered
772 Posts
i think this question is a little stupid really, the best part of watching a heavyweight bout, is the fact that the fight could go either way at any point, most heavyweight punchers have the power to knock out any other heavyweight puncher and 9/10 its who will land the best shot first.

so yes toney could knock out haye, if haye doesn't get there first, otherwise i can see it being a close UD in favour of......... i'd like to say haye but it could go either way. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts