Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what would his career be like today? I've always felt that his undefeated record is one of the biggest reasons he decided to retire early. Do you think he would have put together a stronger welter campaign and fought guys like Mosley, Cotto and Margarito if he had dropped that one decision?

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I think that Floyd Mayweather realises that the reason he's making as much money as he is, is mainly because of his gimmick. Floyd's entire gimmick is his undefeated streak and how he sees himself as unbeatable. The arrogance combined with the skill and the fact that he relates to a lot of younger people in the world today is exactly why he's so popular.

Had he lost that undefeated streak at the hands of Castillo, then Floyd Mayweather would not have been "money Mayweather" for a whole lot longer because I believe he would have retired. Still a very skilled boxer but his resume is always going to be questioned until he fights Cotto, Williams, Margarito and Clottey.. or atleast two of those guys. It's a shame.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
He's making a comeback in '09 so we may see this happen just yet.
LMAO :laugh::laugh:.

someone posted an article on these forums.

He's been secretly training this year. He's always stayed in top shape too...
He always trained...

I think that Floyd Mayweather realises that the reason he's making as much money as he is, is mainly because of his gimmick. Floyd's entire gimmick is his undefeated streak and how he sees himself as unbeatable. The arrogance combined with the skill and the fact that he relates to a lot of younger people in the world today is exactly why he's so popular.

Had he lost that undefeated streak at the hands of Castillo, then Floyd Mayweather would not have been "money Mayweather" for a whole lot longer because I believe he would have retired. Still a very skilled boxer but his resume is always going to be questioned until he fights Cotto, Williams, Margarito and Clottey.. or atleast two of those guys. It's a shame.
Yeah if Mayweather lost he would have been nowhere near as successful.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
If Mayweather lost he would have fought some better guys before he retired perhaps.

The loss would not have matter all that much because everyone would know it was because of a torn rotator cuff and 2 bruised ribs

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
If Mayweather lost he would have fought some better guys before he retired perhaps.

The loss would not have matter all that much because everyone would know it was because of a torn rotator cuff and 2 bruised ribs
I agree with the first part, but those injuries are a load of bs. The bruised ribs perhaps, but a torn rotator cuff:laugh:, a fukkin torn rotator cuff. No, that's not possible for him to throw the crisp, fast, punches he was throwing with a torn rotator cuff. It's not possible.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fighters go into retirement because effectively, technically, they get paid to come out of it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah definitely would have been interesting. I'd say he would have fought better competition at welter to prove his greatness and also it would have been less risk because he'd have already tasted defeat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts