Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Does that erase Hopkins loss to Calzaghe?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Does that erase Hopkins loss to Calzaghe?
In my eyes...tonight erases Cal's win over B-Hop...it proves that B-Hop was damaged goods against B-Hop. But now if he fights RJ and beats RJ...now we're talking about something complex. B-Hop would be beating an RJ that has lost his ring mobility (most of all). But if RJ beats Calzaghe then that spring boards RJ into a big name again...we're talking about something that the human mind can't fathom :laugh:

RJ vs. B-Hop would be a very very VERY close fight. RJ's handspeed will give B-Hop problems and B-Hop's ring mobility and inside fighting will give RJ problems but they are both smart cagey fighters that will lean towards the other's strength. I hope that fight goes down because that will easily be fight of the year and I don't care what anyone says...

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my eyes...tonight erases Cal's win over B-Hop...it proves that B-Hop was damaged goods against B-Hop. But now if he fights RJ and beats RJ...now we're talking about something complex. B-Hop would be beating an RJ that has lost his ring mobility (most of all). But if RJ beats Calzaghe then that spring boards RJ into a big name again...we're talking about something that the human mind can't fathom :laugh:

RJ vs. B-Hop would be a very very VERY close fight. RJ's handspeed will give B-Hop problems and B-Hop's ring mobility and inside fighting will give RJ problems but they are both smart cagey fighters that will lean towards the other's strength. I hope that fight goes down because that will easily be fight of the year and I don't care what anyone says...
If Roy beats calzaghe the P4P list will look like an ATG list :D. Then if B-Hop beats him convincingly I think people will forget about the close decision loss against Calzaghe just like not many people care about Taylor beating B-Hop twice right now.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts

I guessed so:laugh: Everyobdy is high on the thyroid thing now, but styles make fights. Calzaghe made Hopkins work more in the early rounds, and even though Bernard was winning them he was using alot of energy. Hopkins was forced to fight at a pace he wasn't comfortable with against Calzaghe which is why he faded. Against Pavlik he fought at his own pace and Kelly didn't press him half as much as Joe did. Now, the Hopkins from last night may well beat Calzaghe but thats because he just fought a better fight. He didn't try to spoil as much and seemed to be looking for the KO.

And RJJ couldn't compete with Hopkins anymore. Hopkins could probably stop him.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

I agree totally with that last paragraph. It would be a very close fight.

G

·
I guessed so:laugh: Everyobdy is high on the thyroid thing now, but styles make fights. Calzaghe made Hopkins work more in the early rounds, and even though Bernard was winning them he was using alot of energy. Hopkins was forced to fight at a pace he wasn't comfortable with against Calzaghe which is why he faded. Against Pavlik he fought at his own pace and Kelly didn't press him half as much as Joe did. Now, the Hopkins from last night may well beat Calzaghe but thats because he just fought a better fight. He didn't try to spoil as much and seemed to be looking for the KO.

And RJJ couldn't compete with Hopkins anymore. Hopkins could probably stop him.
My thoughts exactly.

And no, this doesn't erase the loss in my opinion. If Pavlik had beat Calzaghe it might be a different story.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Joe Calzaghe isn't Kelly Pavlik

I will keep doing this until people get it drummed into their heads that they are totally different fighters and to compare the two fights is sheer stupidity because I guarantee on anyones life that Hopkins couldn't do what he did to Pavlik last night to Calzaghe.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You can't erase losses.....Calzaghe beat him fair and square. If hopkins really wanted to win that fight, he would of faught like he did tonight but he choose not to. Thats hopkins fault. The only way to get redemption against calzaghe is to beat him in the rematch, and then beat him 1 more time.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
You can't erase losses.....Calzaghe beat him fair and square. If hopkins really wanted to win that fight, he would of faught like he did tonight but he choose not to. Thats hopkins fault. The only way to get redemption against calzaghe is to beat him in the rematch, and then beat him 1 more time.
That post is right on the money.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had Calzaghe winning but it wasn't a clear victory. He got knocked down, busted up and he won a split decision. But I agree B-Hop will have to rematch Calzaghe if he really wanna redeem himself. I really don't think that fight will happen though even if Calzaghe beats Roy.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Joe Calzaghe isn't Kelly Pavlik

I will keep doing this until people get it drummed into their heads that they are totally different fighters and to compare the two fights is sheer stupidity because I guarantee on anyones life that Hopkins couldn't do what he did to Pavlik last night to Calzaghe.
What you have to realize that its not about Pavlik or Calzaghe....its all about B-Hop and the moment you understand that then you will understand where I'm coming from. No one touches the B-Hop tonight and I stand by that.
You can erase the effects of the loss which I was implying. Calzaghe beat him fair and square but not clearly. Also the points he received from slapping B-Hop's gloves weren't too fair but the fact is Calzaghe can't mess with the B-Hop of tonight...in fact the B-Hop tonight would take the entire LHW division by storm.
Like others have said losses can't be erased. Calzaghe W12 Hopkins is in the record books and there it will stay.
No one literally meant that B-hop's L would be erased from the books...it was the effects of the loss (which wasn't really a loss in my mind).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts