Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...Why did you choose boxing instead of any other fighting art?

I've always wanted to box, since I was a kid, because my old man always watched boxing bouts on tv with me, since I was a toddler.
As soon as I knew there was a boxing gym in town, I started amateur boxing, which was all that my age could allow (I started at 26 ys old):( , although pro boxing is my passion.
I've been a boxing aficionado since I was 5 or 6 ys old :D
 

·
tellin' it like it is
Joined
·
18,612 Posts
welcome to the board, jazzman! :thumbsup:

i was brought up pretty much the same way except it was mother who watched boxing. you started at 26, huh? hey, better late than ever. what does your amatuer record look like?

stick around and look at some threads and voice your opinion. i'm looking forward to talking some boxing with someone hands on;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, mate. As a matter of fact, I don't have a record :laugh: I haven't fought at a match yet. I box at a local gym because I like it. Although I do quite well at the gym's ring, I don't think I could ever compete with boys who started at 8 or 12 years old :laugh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,820 Posts
I chose boxing cause I love this sport and its values : heart, determination and tenacity. I like that there are different styles. And boxing has like 100 years of history with legendary fighters.
 

·
tellin' it like it is
Joined
·
18,612 Posts
Balistik said:
I chose boxing cause I love this sport and its values : heart, determination and tenacity. I like that there are different styles. And boxing has like 100 years of history with legendary fighters.
exactly. that's why boxing's going nowhere, and it's demise is a foolish myth:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigDigga said:
oh ok:) your perspective is appreciated being you actually step into the ring regardless. so, what's tour take on the calzaghe/kessler fight?
yeah, it feels good when I lace up my gloves and step into the ring, yu know? It's something I always wanted to do, and I'm glad I do it. If I'm not fit to fight pro or even take part in an amateur bout, I couldn't care less. I'm having fun with my favourite sport after all... :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Jazzman said:
...Why did you choose boxing instead of any other fighting art?
Because boxing is dominant and > any other fighting sport. A trained boxer IMO could take any other person on the planet in a fair street fight.
 

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
Joined
·
8,579 Posts
bill1234 said:
Because boxing is dominant and > any other fighting sport. A trained boxer IMO could take any other person on the planet in a fair street fight.
Jazz, Boxing is the ultimate sport, it takes a team effort to get a guy to the ring but when that bell goes its your ass on the line youre on your own. Ive been in and around boxing for almost 40 years as participant,trainer and boxing writer , though these days am really just a fan but will do just about anything i can to help the sport I love. You say you enjoy being in the ring? thats what its all about enjoying the sport Keep it up Jazz look forward to chatting with you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
C.J.Rock said:
Jazz, Boxing is the ultimate sport, it takes a team effort to get a guy to the ring but when that bell goes its your ass on the line youre on your own. Ive been in and around boxing for almost 40 years as participant,trainer and boxing writer , though these days am really just a fan but will do just about anything i can to help the sport I love. You say you enjoy being in the ring? thats what its all about enjoying the sport Keep it up Jazz look forward to chatting with you
LOL. You qouted me. I'm Bill, not Jazz.:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I've tried other martial arts karate and tae know do n didn't enjoy either.

I don't just box I also do jui jitsu (being going for around a month), I like both although boxing's may favourite.

I've only been into boxing for around a year I just started watching friday fight night on sky and went from there, Hatton and Kahn's success has definitely brought it back into the mainstream over here.

It's a sport I never thought I'd enjoy but I just gave it a go and love it!

Too many people are scared to come boxing with me assuming it's just full of thugs who want to hurt people, I found out first hand that couldn't be further from the truth :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Balistik said:
There are some thugs but they treat you like family.
Exactly.

I've found that first hand at my gym, I've been going just over a month and already I feel like I really fit in it's a great atmosphere.

My point is people who have never boxed don't know this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
The best feeling in the world is when at the end of a session I'm exhausted, sweating all over and want to collapse but all I can do is :D, it's great I love it :D
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top