Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article here : ESPN - Dan Rafael Blog

[...]Quartey, who turns 39 next month, plans to fight at about 150 or 151 pounds, DiBella said, "with the idea of his next fight at 147, and then he can fight people between 147 and 154, welterweight or junior middleweight. But he's not going to fight again at 160 like he did with Winky."

Before the loss to Wright, Quartey was on the losing end of a terrible decision against Vernon Forrest in August 2006. Since then, Forrest has gone on to win a junior middleweight title, lose it to Sergio Mora and then dominate Mora to regain the title in last month's rematch.

"Ike has been smiling about the success Vernon has had because he knows he beat Vernon," DiBella said. "Vernon's success is one motivation. But Ike knows he needs to get the rust off, which he'll do in South Africa."

After that, he said Quartey would like to return to the U.S. for a bigger fight. Maybe there is one more big one left for Quartey, a one-time pound-for-pound list entrant who has been involved in exciting fights and faced several top opponents, including close decision losses to Oscar De La Hoya (in a welterweight championship fight) and Fernando Vargas (in a junior middleweight title fight) when they were in their primes.

"I've had some conversations with Top Rank and Golden Boy about maybe doing something with them," DiBella said. "Once Ike is back with a 'W,' I'll talk to them about what fights we can do together that make sense."

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
yea he should stay retired...TBH the only person I remember him beating with a name was Verno Phillips, and the decision he should have won over Forrest, aside from that whenever he stepped up the competition (winky,vargass,DLH) he would lose. I dont ever remember seen Ike KO'ed but he hasnt fought in about 2 yrs and the competition in that weight range is 2 much for him(147-154). Any fight that would make money involving any of the top fighters in that range he would lose IMO

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
aside from that whenever he stepped up the competition (winky,vargass,DLH) he would lose./QUOTE]

bahhh Ike beat DLH

I see where you're coming from, same was said by a lot when he fought Forrest, point being he got the L and its on his record.
wether it be the judges fault or whatever the reason, he couldn't get it done against good fighters.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I scored Ike vs DLH a draw, Quartey had one of the best jabs ive seen back then. Oh and he beat Forrest on my card aswell.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
He def had the best jab of the ww back then but imo he did not have the best jab of all time. Top 10 maby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts