Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be the next Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Is it to late?

I’m 24 years old, 6’3”, 218lbs. I have always been fascinated with the sport. The training, the anticipation, the skills, and the science of the sport captivate me. I want to be one of the greats, and have the drive to do it.

I am a baseball player, but now I just have this goal to be a boxer.

I am working on weight training for the next 6 months, gaining hard muscle mass. Hitting the heavy bag, working on endurance, and punch quality. Then joining a boxing gym, or hopefully finding a trainer.

I want to be the best and bring this sport back.

Can you help me?

-Chad

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Chad,

First go find a gym. You don't really have to be a product of weightlifting to have success in boxing. It is never too late. I will elaborate later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that I should get a lot stronger before I start training to be a heavyweight boxer.

I wanted to reach 240lbs, and then with all the cardio required to train for boxing, I would lose all the fat I gained during my bulking stage, and be around 225lbs or 230lbs.

I am located in the Detroit, MI area.

What do you recommend I do?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
How close is Detroit to Grand Rapids? There are an assortment of gym's in your area, so you should be able to find one relatively easy. As you probably know Floyd Mayweather Jr. is from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and his gym is located there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grand Rapids is about 2 1/2 hours away from me.

When you join a boxing gym, how does it work? Do you have to train for a certain amout of time before you start amature boxing? Do you get a personal trainer? etc...

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
wick001 said:
I thought that I should get a lot stronger before I start training to be a heavyweight boxer.

I wanted to reach 240lbs, and then with all the cardio required to train for boxing, I would lose all the fat I gained during my bulking stage, and be around 225lbs or 230lbs.

I am located in the Detroit, MI area.

What do you recommend I do?
As far as what you planned on doing, don't do it that way. I suggest that you get in a gym as soon as possible and learn the basics. Foundation is the most important part of starting to learn boxing. You can do whatever weightlifting/cardio on the side, although a lot of cardio comes in the gym. Also, I recommend a low weight/high repetition workouts rather than heavy weights. Weight lifting CAN slow your reflexes and flexibility if you don't do it accordingly with boxing.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
wick001 said:
Grand Rapids is about 2 1/2 hours away from me.

When you join a boxing gym, how does it work? Do you have to train for a certain amout of time before you start amature boxing? Do you get a personal trainer? etc...
It varies. You could turn amateur tomorrow if you wanted to. Basically, from my experience, you can pay a monthly fee to work out in the gym and get occasional help from trainers there. After you are there for a few consistent workouts you will gain respect from other members and will in turn begin to get a lot of help from other guys and trainers. Once we figure out that a new guy is serious we always try to help him out.

Also, you can hire a 1 on 1 trainer to work with you for a period of hours of your choice which fit his schedule. That is best for learning depending on your situation. I'm going to look up a gym for you.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Nevermind, 313.

Considine Recreation
Center Boxing Team
8904 Woodward Ave.
Detroit
MI
313 876-0131
313-876-0129

Cooper's International
Boxing Center 1211 Trumbull 313-581-5085

Located at 8925 Birwood street is the Famous Kronk Gym as well. Many title holders have trained at Kronk Gym. I hope this helps Chad.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yea keep me updated bro, and good luck finding the right place. Let me know if you need any further assisstance. You can send me private messages by clicking on my name in any thread and selecting the private message option. Good luck again.

-Shane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts