Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 14 years old and I have been boxing for a year, I have already had 4 fights and won them all, and about a month ago I won the Ontario Golden Gloves in the Welterweight-Open Class which I moved up a weightclass to fight in, I am 5'6 and weigh 135 and I am an inside fighter and throw a lot of hooks/uppercuts and overhand rights but I also believe I have natural fighting ability. The only problem with boxing that I have is that the kids that I fight are a lot taller and more defined than I am... And before the fights I will syke myself out and get intimitaded. But when I am in the ring, I end up beating them pretty badly.

As of late my boxing club has gone under because the coach couldn't pay the rent for the gym since there were only 3-4 members coming to the gym on a regular basis so the gym got closed. So here I am and I have no club to go to since the boxing club that is closest to where I live is almost an hour away, and my dad doesn't want to drive me all the way out there 3 times a week since the price of gas is skyrocketing,

Recently I just got a membership at the YMCA and am trying to keep myself in shape and have been doing some weightlifting to get more defined. I don't really know what to do because I really want to box still, should I just move on to a new sport or what because I really have no other choice??

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in the same situation in about 2 months, I'm also 14, had 3 fights,3 wins, no fights upcoming, and I'll have to leave my gym in 2 months because my parents are making me focus when I go to high school. Since I can't do anything, I'll just get a heavybag, and some equipment, and you can always do the usual training, since you have a record like that, and won a tournament, I'll assume you know the routine. Unlike you however, I'm a bit more fortunate that I Still have a chance to talk to my counselor to persuade my parents when the time comes. You can always double check for a gym here Boxing Gyms and Boxing Clubs . Best of wishes on your boxing career, if you do have to quit, just wait till you get your license and you can drive yourself, it'd be totally worth it to me in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I am 14 years old and I have been boxing for a year, I have already had 4 fights and won them all, and about a month ago I won the Ontario Golden Gloves in the Welterweight-Open Class which I moved up a weightclass to fight in, I am 5'6 and weigh 135 and I am an inside fighter and throw a lot of hooks/uppercuts and overhand rights but I also believe I have natural fighting ability. The only problem with boxing that I have is that the kids that I fight are a lot taller and more defined than I am... And before the fights I will syke myself out and get intimitaded. But when I am in the ring, I end up beating them pretty badly.

As of late my boxing club has gone under because the coach couldn't pay the rent for the gym since there were only 3-4 members coming to the gym on a regular basis so the gym got closed. So here I am and I have no club to go to since the boxing club that is closest to where I live is almost an hour away, and my dad doesn't want to drive me all the way out there 3 times a week since the price of gas is skyrocketing,

Recently I just got a membership at the YMCA and am trying to keep myself in shape and have been doing some weightlifting to get more defined. I don't really know what to do because I really want to box still, should I just move on to a new sport or what because I really have no other choice??
Defined means nothing in boxing as long as you're in shape. If I were you, I would stop the weight lifting. It's bad in boxing. If you do it too much you will become slower and less flexible, as well as getting tired faster and easier. If you want to build muscle, do it naturally by doing push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats, etc. But you really are in a bad situation aren't you? I would do everything you did at the gym that you can at the Y.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts