Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

well ive been sparing now for a short while and im having problems getting in close or landiing a punch. it seems like i jab and my openant steps back, i jab jab and he steps back twice, etc, etc. i cant seem to get in there and land some solid punches. any tips, any good combos i can start trying. i feel like im stuck with the jab and straight right all the time. also any good tips on what to throw after my openant throws a jab? i know theres probably a million solutions but i would apreciate some guidence.
thanks

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Just keep walking him down with your jab until he either side steps because of the corner, when he side steps, jab to the opposite side to get him to move back the other way, then throw your straight right, and catch him. Just one strategy, Just keep walking him down basically and you force the action. He'll eventually make a mistake.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Learn how to cut off the ring, this means you have to figure his pattern of movement there for predict and cut off his next move, by walking him down you'll just be following him in circles and never catch him , also try jabing at the body make him lower his guard,and work on your speed, a jab should be a stinging pop,which if it lands it should be follow by different convinations, you need to work on the mitts with some one to teach you different counters to different punches any ways good luck buddy and you got to get mean in there..

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's hard to give advice based on so little info.

Are you a southpaw/regular?
What is your background?
How many rounds are you sparring?
Do you have a trainer who works with you?

What Lance said definitely works. Don't expect to hit it twice, though.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
hello everyone,

well ive been sparing now for a short while and im having problems getting in close or landiing a punch. it seems like i jab and my openant steps back, i jab jab and he steps back twice, etc, etc. i cant seem to get in there and land some solid punches. any tips, any good combos i can start trying. i feel like im stuck with the jab and straight right all the time. also any good tips on what to throw after my openant throws a jab? i know theres probably a million solutions but i would apreciate some guidence.
thanks
You need to step in quick or feint with your body. Don't throw until you're at the right distance. For example you can throw a lazy jab and then step in quick while doubling or tripling it. When you're opponent is jabbing throw a right hand over his jab. You can also counter it with your own jab but you need to step in and make it a good stiff jab.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Your obviously not quick on your feet if you cant get near him, you need to work on that NOT your punches.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts

What is your background?

Don't expect to hit it twice?, what's he gonna do hit him once and that's it, the man is oviously just starting out, what do you need a hole profile to computer analize the man , what's your back ground mr expert:laugh:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
You need to step in quick or feint with your body. Don't throw until you're at the right distance. For example you can throw a lazy jab and then step in quick while doubling or tripling it. When you're opponent is jabbing throw a right hand over his jab. You can also counter it with your own jab but you need to step in and make it a good stiff jab.
hey bro I'm not making fun, but just so I know can you explain to me how do you feint with your body :dunno:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Why not tell him to just lead with his face, he'll have sucess all right at getting KTFO...:laugh:
I agree, it would be stupid to lead with your right because that is the easiest punch you can counter.

It sounds like he cant get in range, he needs to work on that.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I agree, it would be stupid to lead with your right because that is the easiest punch you can counter.

It sounds like he cant get in range, he needs to work on that.
he sounds a little timid also, that's why I said he has to get mean in there, maybe he should have the other guy say some thing bad about his mama or girl friend before they star sparring :laugh:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
hey bro I'm not making fun, but just so I know can you explain to me how do you feint with your body :dunno:
Well you feint mainly with your arm and shoulder but you gotta get your hip into it so your whole upper body moves a little. You should only do it when you need to step in though.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Seeing that Hugo reminds me of a thing Tex Cobb told me. He said the guys in the Watts gym voted him as having the best defense in the place
His face was his defense it stopped every punch they threw at it till they got tired then tex knocked most out lol

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Seeing that Hugo reminds me of a thing Tex Cobb told me. He said the guys in the Watts gym voted him as having the best defense in the place
His face was his defense it stopped every punch they threw at it till they got tired then tex knocked most out lol
:laugh::laugh: That Tex Cobb was one funny dude, did he ever try stand up comedy he would've been great I wonder what's he doing this days..

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Well you feint mainly with your arm and shoulder but you gotta get your hip into it so your whole upper body moves a little. You should only do it when you need to step in though.
gotcha bro That's what I thoug you meant, I just wanted to make sure, you know your s---- :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

What is your background?

well ive been boxing for alittle over a year now but i took the last 2 months off becaus eof work. so i just recently (2 weeks ago) got back into the gym. im not a southpaw. ive probably sparred a dozen times. right now because im out of shape im doing about three rounds. currently i have no trainer.

thanks for any help
peter

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
:laugh::laugh: That Tex Cobb was one funny dude, did he ever try stand up comedy he would've been great I wonder what's he doing this days..
Last I heard he'd gone to college and got a degree in sports journalism i think it was I havent seen him since he split from his ex wife Sharon

1 - 20 of 70 Posts