1. Juanma Lopez
2. Paul Williams
3. Chad Dawson
4. Alperro Angulo
5. Nonito Donaire
6. Miguel Cotto
7. Mikkel Kessler
8.Juan Manuel Marquez(depending on if he gets shot or not over the next 5 years
9. Joe Calzaghe(depends on whether he gets shot or not in the next 5 years)
10. David Haye

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm expecting big things from JML. I think he's almost a certainty to be up there.
I'm predicting even more than most, I believe he's got the punch and the timing to go all the way up to welterweight but we have to see how he goes against Isreal Vaquez first

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about Paul Williams though, I think he's got the potential to have a Thomas Hearnsesqe type career where he wins titles in many weight classes knocking out guys naturally much much bigger than himself, he's still a prospect and not there yet because he showed some shocking flaws against Carlos Quintana, We just have to wait and see him fight somebody who can last longer than a round to find out if he's learnt from that.

G

·
I'm predicting even more than most, I believe he's got the punch and the timing to go all the way up to welterweight but we have to see how he goes against Isreal Vaquez first
I give Marquez the best shot at beating him in the division but I prefer Lopez in that fight and against the rest of the guys at 122.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
My top10 future p4p list
1. Juanma Lopez
2. Paul Williams
3. Chad Dawson
4. Alperro Angulo
5. Nonito Donaire
6. Miguel Cotto
7. Mikkel Kessler
8.Juan Manuel Marquez(depending on if he gets shot or not over the next 5 years
9. Joe Calzaghe(depends on whether he gets shot or not in the next 5 years)
10. David Haye
I don't think Marquez or Calzaghe have a good chance at staying on P4P list. Marquez has become more offensive and has gotten hit more in the last couple of years which has made hime more exciting, but will take years off his P4P level ring life. Calzaghe's style relies too much on stamina and reflexes to be able to hold on for 5 years.
I'm expecting big things from JML. I think he's almost a certainty to be up there.
I started to watch more JML fights and I think he's gonna get beaten as soon as he fights a high level technician that can step to Lopez' left. He's been put in with brawlers with bad defenses that he will always beat at 122 with the one punch power in his right. His left is pretty much a decoy, someone will exploit this and beat him, but if he can learn to use it almost as effective, he'll only be beat when he gets to 130 or 135.

G

·
I started to watch more JML fights and I think he's gonna get beaten as soon as he fights a high level technician that can step to Lopez' left. He's been put in with brawlers with bad defenses that he will always beat at 122 with the one punch power in his right. His left is pretty much a decoy, someone will exploit this and beat him, but if he can learn to use it almost as effective, he'll only be beat when he gets to 130 or 135.
That is a reasonable theory and you could be right because he does rely alot on his right hand. I guess we'll get a better read on him when he fights a more sound fighter. I can't wait to see what he looks like when he steps up because he's impressed me alot so far. Like you say I think he's better off staying around the 130 region.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
You might have to add Yuriorkis Gamboa to that list. Nice list though
Yep, him too, but his defense is just so bad. If he had even a C+ or B- defense, I'd say the guy is a future #1 P4P and could easily unify a couple divisions, but he doesn't and he doesn't have an A class chin to back him up on it. His chin isn't even close to china (like a B) like some say but he just gets caught so wide open and so off balance, he's bound to get knocked down by even a C puncher.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Yep, him too, but his defense is just so bad. If he had even a C+ or B- defense, I'd say the guy is a future #1 P4P and could easily unify a couple divisions, but he doesn't and he doesn't have an A class chin to back him up on it. His chin isn't even close to china (like a B) like some say but he just gets caught so wide open and so off balance, he's bound to get knocked down by even a C puncher.
I agree with you completely about his defense, but this guy as alot of upside.

hes only had about 12 fights, hes relatively young (26? 27?) and hes in a divsion at the moment he could easily dominate IMO,
If he works on his defense hell be up there soon.
As far as his chin, the times I remember seeing him down he got up pretty quick and he was off balance when he got caught.

Hopefully Gamboa shows improvement on D in his next fight. I met him not too long ago...guy is super short. Next time hopefully I can get a interview.

G

·
In 5 years:

Chad Dawson will be the measuring stick for the heavier divisions.

Paul Williams will be the measuring stick for the middle divisions.

Nonito Donaire will be the measuring stick for the lighter divisions.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
In 5 years:

Chad Dawson will be the measuring stick for the heavier divisions.

Paul Williams will be the measuring stick for the middle divisions.

Nonito Donaire will be the measuring stick for the lighter divisions.

True for the 1st 2.Not sold on Donaire yet. I wanna see him for Darch again and his last fight wasnt too convinvcing. Im not ready to give him the title of "who'd be one of the best fighters in 5 yrs " just yet.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does everybody think Paul Williams career is gonna go, Is he really gonna be a reincarnation of Thomas Hearns? He has a similar fighting style and attitude, He deoesn't have the one punch power but Hearns doesn't have the workrate PW's has. Will he go all the way up to Light-heavyweight and win titles there?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel Paul WIlliams will beat Juanma to becoming the first p4p no.1 but Juanma will eventually take that position, Paul williams will start to creep into most peoples top8 after he beats verno phillips and santos or forrest, if he goes back down and beat margarito and clottey he will be unified in two divisons and most definatelly a top3-5 p4p fighter, if somehow manage to go up and beat whoever the middlweight champion of the time is he will at the very lowest no.2 p4p, then if he goes up and beats chad dawson he will undoubtedly be no.1 p4p no matter what anybody else does and he should try to better hearns by giving the cruiserweights a crack depending on his punching power at light heavyweight, if he's strong at cruiserweight he may even go up to heavyweight? I'm being way too optimistic but I feel strongly that Paul Williams is the future

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Chad Dawson
Andre Berto
Juan Manuel Lopez
Timothy Bradley

and to a lesser extent...

Jorge Linares
Victor Ortiz
Abner Mares
Victor Ortiz will be near or on the top of the P4P list, especially if he can stay at 140. He is already a beast, he just needs the opponents to prove it.
Tavoris Cloud is a darkhorse, and Wladimir Klitschko may be 75-4(67ko's)by 2013!
Cloud is definitely a dark horse, the only guy at 175 I see beating him right now is Chad Dawson and not by much. His technique is more than up to par and he's strong, but he doesn't get gassed out easy averaging like 60+ punches per round.

Idk about W Klit though, I think Arreola beats him when they meet, there will be someone that knocks him off before 2013.
I feel Paul WIlliams will beat Juanma to becoming the first p4p no.1 but Juanma will eventually take that position, Paul williams will start to creep into most peoples top8 after he beats verno phillips and santos or forrest, if he goes back down and beat margarito and clottey he will be unified in two divisons and most definatelly a top3-5 p4p fighter, if somehow manage to go up and beat whoever the middlweight champion of the time is he will at the very lowest no.2 p4p, then if he goes up and beats chad dawson he will undoubtedly be no.1 p4p no matter what anybody else does and he should try to better hearns by giving the cruiserweights a crack depending on his punching power at light heavyweight, if he's strong at cruiserweight he may even go up to heavyweight? I'm being way too optimistic but I feel strongly that Paul Williams is the future
Optimistic is an understatement. He is the future, but daaaaaaaaamn. Beating Dawson is pretty much out of the question, he struggles against lefties, and if you throw in a lefty with as much skill as Chad has, I can't see it. He's too easy to hit to be a top level Cruiser.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Whoa slow down man I don't think Williams will move up higher than 168 and if he ever fights Direll there he might be sent back down to 160 or lower.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts