Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

INFO How do boxers gain and lose the weight they do when in different weight classes?

922 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SugarShane 
I would say its the consistency of weight training. When you weight train consistently you're building muscle and depending on your diet so your body can allocate the macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fats) accordingly. Either eating alot of calories high in protein, or restricting the calories should have a direct effect on body weight and composition over the long run. Over a span of 10 years gaining 10-20 solid lbs is more than reasonable.

It depends how fit he is, Because he could've stopped working out and therefore his muscle mass will decrease while gaining fat. In that scenario all he'd have to do is burn fat and eat cleaner.

In another scenario, lets say he's been in top shape. He can up his cardio exercise which can also decrease muscle and fat and increase his stamina over time. Thus he is losing weight

Its all relative to the person's shape with regards to how much muscle mass that person has.

Build muscle: high protein, weight training.

Burn muscle: ~protein (not important), coupled with high cardio volume.

Build fat: high calories, no activity.

Burn fat: high cardio volume.

In order to spare muscle in cardio, you have to make sure you're not overdueing the cardio and you must supplement protein properly.

Definately, but i think boxers that are consistent with their weight, like a floyd mayweather whose weight shows no flucuation between the weightin and fight, have an advantage. I think that the depletion that takes place prior to the weighin plays a substantial role in performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.